How You Know That Polls are Popularity Contests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How You Know That Polls are Popularity Contests

I was looking at the College Football Top 25 Ratings and looked at Others Receiving Votes. In there, it had Kansas receiving 1 vote. So I looked closer to see if Nebraska had received any votes since they had just beaten Kansas. Nope, no votes for Nebraska.

So, I'm thinking, this AP writer, whoever it was, had a choice of giving their 25th-place vote to Kansas or Nebraska or some other team altogether. So instead of giving that vote to Nebraska, who had just beaten Kansas, they give it to Kansas.

You don't want to let head-to-head competition get in the way of your voting.

so not exactly on topic but... just looking at the latest bcs standings, what happens if in a few weeks after the championship games if Texas and Texas Tech win out, and say Bama loses a game, looks like Tech and the Horns would be 1 - 2 in the standings could there be a BCS championship between two Big 12 south schools??? I know a lot of football left to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox151
      so not exactly on topic but... just looking at the latest bcs standings, what happens if in a few weeks after the championship games if Texas and Texas Tech win out, and say Bama loses a game, looks like Tech and the Horns would be 1 - 2 in the standings could there be a BCS championship between two Big 12 south schools??? I know a lot of football left to play.
      I'm pretty sure it would be allowed by the rules, but would have to be considered a disaster by the BCS.

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker
        I'm pretty sure it would be allowed by the rules, but would have to be considered a disaster by the BCS.
        For that reason I hope it happens
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

If Florida beats Alabama, you have to figure they'll get a shot at the BCS title game.

As to the first post, who cares? Nebraska should certainly have received the vote, but if you're looking for fairness, logic and impartiality in the AP poll, God help you. It's probably D'Armond. He makes bets for his votes all the time.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
            Exactly. Then it would finally be exposed for the scam it is. Hopefully Florida beats Alabama, but loses in the SEC championship game to someone. Then it would surely put the Texas vs Texas Tech game together, seeing as how both can win out the rest of the year, since only one will be in the Big 12 championship game against a far inferior opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
              Originally posted by SubGod22
              Exactly. Then it would finally be exposed for the scam it is. Hopefully Florida beats Alabama, but loses in the SEC championship game to someone. Then it would surely put the Texas vs Texas Tech game together, seeing as how both can win out the rest of the year, since only one will be in the Big 12 championship game against a far inferior opponent.
              Florida/Alabama is the SEC championship. Even if both teams lose their remaining games, they'd still play each other in Atlanta, so the game is already "scheduled."

Florida still needs to get past Florida State, which isn't a bad team. If they do that, I think the winner of the SEC is in the BCS championship.

If Florida loses to Florida State, but then beats Alabama, you could have a very interesting scenario involving UT and Tech. But Tech still needs to win in Norman, and Texas needs to win in Lawrence (what... it could happen...).
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

So we shall all root for Florida St. and then Florida in the SEC championship. And also for Tech and UT to win out. That would be a lovely situation and would surely make some of those presidents reconsider the playoff system.

Comment

Working...
                X