• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC about to become one of the Most patriotic city in US

7.5% or 15% increase income taxes
    200 more ticket agents to give out 60million in fines
    Renage on $400 property tax rebate

"I think the people of the city are going to be enraged," City Councilman Simcha Felder, D-Brooklyn,
    Someone needs to get VP(Elect) Biden down thee to tell them they are doing their patriotic duty. :yahoo:

What does it take to run NYC?

I did a very quick and rudimentary calculation and came up with this figure:

The city imposes a 21.5% tax on hotel stays. That should result in roughly in $590 MILLION in direct tax revenue alone from travelers. Before any other taxable events are tabulated.....$590 MILLION.

Comment

Why do I find myself only feeling sorry for Maggie, his wife, and the other 23 conservatives in NYC?

Comment

New York City looks like Ft Knox compared to Chicago.
        Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          Why do I find myself only feeling sorry for Maggie, his wife, and the other 23 conservatives in NYC?
          At least my (our) love of country cannot be contested.

Comment

The context of Biden comments was that companies who hide their money in off shore accounts are unpatriotic. Frankly I don't think tax cheats have too much of a claim to patriotism and find it kind of astounding that a V.P. candidate would suggest otherwise.

The article is confusing because it indicates that the rate will go up 7.5% from where it is now, not 7.5% of one's total income. (a 7.5% increase on $50,000 will result in an additional tax burden of $116, not $3750).
            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
              Maggie,

I've always been under the assumption that there was a decent contingent of Republicans in NYC? I mean the place does happen to be the financial epicenter of our country, if not the world. Down here in flyover country, business/accounting/finance is dominated by conservatives, and I guess I always presumed that to be the case across the country- including NYC.

Not too many dems coming out of b-schools, if you know what I mean. Oil and water.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby
                Maggie,

I've always been under the assumption that there was a decent contingent of Republicans in NYC? I mean the place does happen to be the financial epicenter of our country, if not the world. Down here in flyover country, business/accounting/finance is dominated by conservatives, and I guess I always presumed that to be the case across the country- including NYC.

Not too many dems coming out of b-schools, if you know what I mean. Oil and water.
                I can expand on this a great deal if you like (your impressions are off base – although I don’t fault you for them) – I just don’t have the time now. Let me know if you want me to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby
                  Maggie,

I can expand on this a great deal if you like (your impressions are off base – although I don’t fault you for them) – I just don’t have the time now. Let me know if you want me to continue.
                  Go for it... I'm curious as to what you have to say.

Comment

My pleasure, but I want to give it some thought as I don’t like to short change people (I will get back by Friday) – that being said, NY is a complicated place---it is an interesting political atmosphere – as well as a wonderful city.

Right now I want to listen to the KSGO broadcast on the MVC. Despite my prolific posting in the off topic forum – I love WSU Basketball – it is why I found this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu
                      The context of Biden comments was that companies who hide their money in off shore accounts are unpatriotic. Frankly I don't think tax cheats have too much of a claim to patriotism and find it kind of astounding that a V.P. candidate would suggest otherwise.
                      You lost me there. What did Biden have to do with the article?

And I too think that countries hiding their money in off-shore accounts is unpatriotic and should be illegal. It is nothing more than tax-evasion. They should be thrown in jail for doing it.

Comment

NYC is smidge bigger than Wichita. It does need a few more bucks to run on.

So the next time you feel the need to complain about taxes, just remember it could be a lot worse.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Look who Bloomingidiotberg's role model is:
                          Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock

And I too think that countries hiding their money in off-shore accounts is unpatriotic and should be illegal. It is nothing more than tax-evasion. They should be thrown in jail for doing it.
                            Biden said basically what you just said, then Palin said many times things like "Biden's idea of patriotism is to pay your taxes." That was the context the name of this thread alluded to.
                            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock

Biden said basically what you just said, then Palin said many times things like "Biden's idea of patriotism is to pay your taxes." That was the context the name of this thread alluded to.
                              Oh...so it was Palin that said otherwise? I got you now. I was confused and didn't know she said that. And they want her to run for President in 2012?

Comment

Working...
                              X