I feel like I'm under so much pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel like I'm under so much pressure

My parents are near senior citizen age and I feel all this pressure of having to get a 3.5 GPA and getting/maintaining a job. I study and study and only manage to get 84's or 85's in my classes. I have to get a good job out of college and help take care of them. I feel like since I'm an only child and if I can't do that, I'll fail them. they pin their hopes and dreams upon me.

Obama will support you. 8)

Get C`s in civil engineering.....Get licensed.......Make $40k a year. 8)

Comment

The Kansas lottery can make you rich, or so I heard.

Think long term.

I feel for you son.

Maybe I am/was lucky b/c I think my parents felt they were fortunate that I lived long enough to provide some grandchildren, that I provided no major public embarressment for them (not major) and I had committed no felonies. (charged maybe, but not convicted)

Comment

Re: I feel like I'm under so much pressure

Originally posted by Hotel Paper
        My parents are near senior citizen age and I feel all this pressure of having to get a 3.5 GPA and getting/maintaining a job. I study and study and only manage to get 84's or 85's in my classes. I have to get a good job out of college and help take care of them. I feel like since I'm an only child and if I can't do that, I'll fail them. they pin their hopes and dreams upon me.
        Networking and internships can often make up for A grades. Get your name out their and show your work ethic. What class are you?
        Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. John Wooden

Comment

junior. but to hold down a 3.5 and have a job? i'm barely hanging on to my 3.53 as it is

Comment

Things will work out.

Having a degree helps this day in age though, so do whatever it takes.

I hear ya tho, bro.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

junior. but to hold down a 3.5 and have a job? i'm barely hanging on to my 3.53 as it is
              You are over the hump, my man. Seriously even if you could intern four hours a week at a place in your field and kick arse, it will help you.
              Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. John Wooden

Comment

Keep your head up brother – your heart is in the right place and based upon what you wrote you are not a failure.

Continue to work hard and good things will happen. Promise.

Comment

Let's put this in perspective, shall we ...

What is this "near senior citizen age" you speak of? Near retirement? Older than that? Bad health?

My mom and my mother-in-law are both getting close to 80 and are still completely self-sufficient. I have to go occasionally shovel show, fix a computer problem, or trim back a bush, but otherwise they're independent. Financially, they have no worries, and maybe your folks aren't counting on you quite as much as you're worrying about.

A 3.5+ GPA will serve you well. Some folks find their dream job right out of college, most don't. In fact, a lot of folks discover a niche entirely different from their major field while working their first or second post-graduation job and do quite well in new found careers.

Keep your eyes and ears open, be flexible, and relax. Don't fret it too much - you'll be fine.

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Do the best you can, and don't worry too much. Handle things as they arise.

Comment

Not sure what your major is, but unless it's something that really demands a perfect GPA, as long as you get solid grades you have nothing to worry about. Most employers only care that you graduated, as long as you might have some extra-curricular activities or a work schedule that suggests that you spent some time learning about real life.

It sounds like you're already doing a heck of a job of working hard and doing well. Give yourself a pat on the back, and know that often success isn't about perfection, but about surviving until the bad guys retreat.

I'll send a prayer your way too, because everyone needs a few of those on occassion.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Working...
                      X