Staunch conservative Chicago Tribune endorses first Dem ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staunch conservative Chicago Tribune endorses first Dem ever

This endorsement makes some history for the Chicago Tribune. This is the first time the newspaper has endorsed the Democratic Party's nominee for president.
    We have tremendous confidence in his intellectual rigor, his moral compass and his ability to make sound, thoughtful, careful decisions. He is ready.

We might have counted on John McCain to correct his party's course. We like McCain. We endorsed him in the Republican primary in Illinois. In part because of his persuasion and resolve, the U.S. stands to win an unconditional victory in Iraq.

It is, though, hard to figure John McCain these days. He argued that President Bush's tax cuts were fiscally irresponsible, but he now supports them. He promises a balanced budget by the end of his first term, but his tax cut plan would add an estimated $4.2 trillion in debt over 10 years. He has responded to the economic crisis with an angry, populist message and a misguided, $300 billion proposal to buy up bad mortgages.

McCain failed in his most important executive decision. Give him credit for choosing a female running mate--but he passed up any number of supremely qualified Republican women who could have served. Having called Obama not ready to lead, McCain chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. His campaign has tried to stage-manage Palin's exposure to the public. But it's clear she is not prepared to step in at a moment's notice and serve as president. McCain put his campaign before his country.

Obama is deeply grounded in the best aspirations of this country, and we need to return to those aspirations. He has had the character and the will to achieve great things despite the obstacles that he faced as an unprivileged black man in the U.S.

He has risen with his honor, grace and civility intact. He has the intelligence to understand the grave economic and national security risks that face us, to listen to good advice and make careful decisions.

:good: 8)
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

And he's from Illinois. That might not have hurt his chances for that endorsement either.

Comment

Re: Staunch conservative Chicago Tribune endorses first Dem

Originally posted by kcshocker11
      This endorsement makes some history for the Chicago Tribune. This is the first time the newspaper has endorsed the Democratic Party's nominee for president.
      We have tremendous confidence in his intellectual rigor, his moral compass and his ability to make sound, thoughtful, careful decisions. He is ready.

We might have counted on John McCain to correct his party's course. We like McCain. We endorsed him in the Republican primary in Illinois. In part because of his persuasion and resolve, the U.S. stands to win an unconditional victory in Iraq.

It is, though, hard to figure John McCain these days. He argued that President Bush's tax cuts were fiscally irresponsible, but he now supports them. He promises a balanced budget by the end of his first term, but his tax cut plan would add an estimated $4.2 trillion in debt over 10 years. He has responded to the economic crisis with an angry, populist message and a misguided, $300 billion proposal to buy up bad mortgages.

McCain failed in his most important executive decision. Give him credit for choosing a female running mate--but he passed up any number of supremely qualified Republican women who could have served. Having called Obama not ready to lead, McCain chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. His campaign has tried to stage-manage Palin's exposure to the public. But it's clear she is not prepared to step in at a moment's notice and serve as president. McCain put his campaign before his country.

Obama is deeply grounded in the best aspirations of this country, and we need to return to those aspirations. He has had the character and the will to achieve great things despite the obstacles that he faced as an unprivileged black man in the U.S.

He has risen with his honor, grace and civility intact. He has the intelligence to understand the grave economic and national security risks that face us, to listen to good advice and make careful decisions.

:good: 8)
      Just curious 11, do you work for the Obama campaign? :D
      If so, how much are you being paid?
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Nope! but I am honored that you feel my posts are up to that quality!

Thanks 8)

By the way if anyone wishes to cal the Tribune any names they have a email address! :whistle:
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Nope! but I am honored that you feel my posts are up to that quality!

Thanks 8)

By the way if anyone wishes to call the Tribune any names they have a email address! :whistle:
          :D 8)

Comment

KC11, the type of posting you do I refer to as "drive by posting". Its only purpose is to destroy any meaningful conversations that may occur and keep any others from developing. They rarely give an opinion and generally only post links obtained from their sponsoring web sites.

The intent is to keep a blogs/forums front page nothing but partisian talking point headlines without time for discussion. Any and all discussions are quickly relegated to page 3 or 4 and quickly forgotten. I don't know about your case as your volume is fairly low, but most of these type of posters are paid. But in any case your method of operation seems very similiar.

They are a cancer to any political discussion blog/forum and I have even seen them operate, computer driven, on a national scale, and destroy at least two major newspaper political forums. Strange thing but they are always left wing "party of tolerance and free speech" people.

Comment

Originally posted by rayc
              KC11, the type of posting you do I refer to as "drive by posting". Its only purpose is to destroy any meaningful conversations that may occur and keep any others from developing. They rarely give an opinion and generally only post links obtained from their sponsoring web sites.

The intent is to keep a blogs/forums front page nothing but partisian talking point headlines without time for discussion. Any and all discussions are quickly relegated to page 3 or 4 and quickly forgotten. I don't know about your case as your volume is fairly low, but most of these type of posters are paid. But in any case your method of operation seems very similiar.

They are a cancer to any political discussion blog/forum and I have even seen them operate, computer driven, on a national scale, and destroy at least two major newspaper political forums. Strange thing but they are always left wing "party of tolerance and free speech" people.

AH the great conspiracy! 8)

Comment

It probably wouldn't surprise you, rayc, to know that KC11 is also the guy that pilots the black helicopter that follows you to work every day, opens your mail and tries to think up new ways to tax you and then give all the money to homosexuals.

Keep up the good work, KC!
                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

You guys are to much, as politically naive as new borns.

Comment

I suppose I could ask you to make a list on political sophistication but your probably to busy for that considering the other list an all. :D 8)

Comment

Huh? These are meaningful conversations? I've gotten only one side calling the other stupid and so on and so forth.

And last I checked, this is Shockernet. A sports fan forum. The "Off-Topic" is just that and is full of lots of different types of things.

Comment

My response was nothing more then the reason why WstateU's comment, though probably made in jest, was not entirely out of line. Thats all.

If you think my statements are incorrect, then you are wrong. If you think they are a slam on kcshocker11 then you are also wrong. The true "drive bys" will generate 40-50 threads a day.

Comment

T

...8)

Comment

Working...
                          X