Beasley fined $50,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beasley fined $50,000

Miami Heat rookie Michael Beasley was fined $50,000 by the NBA on Thursday for his involvement in an incident at the Rookie Transition Program this month.

He was originally implicated in the first reports. Wonder if a KU guy snithced on a K-State guy?

A bunch of dope smoking thugs from KU and Kstate.......tell me something I don't know.

Comment

Oh come on dr. Not like some of our own haven't been busted for the same thing. Nothing like turning some pot smoking and fooling around with the ladies into "thug". You sound like a 1940s propaganda. If you want to hate on KU and K State that's fine. I'm not a big fan of them either but you need to reel it in a bit man.

Comment

Yeah what's the big deal it's just a little grass man. Get with the times. :roll:

Comment

Look they got caught for smoking pot, ok you got them... call them pot heads, tokers, losers or whatever you want to call them for that, but smoking pot does not = "thug". That sort of leap i fail to see and frankly its disappointing to hear that sort of stereotyping coming from the good drs mouth of all people. I seem to have expected more from him and a level of class that I shouldn't have apparently. Does he think Jamar Howard is nothing but a "dope smoking thug"??? I doubt it. Is it fair to stereotype or conclude what he has, of these kids, because they go to another university? Is it fair to go so far as to make them out to be thugs because they smoked some herb and were running with a few ladies? I don't understand if its the pot or the affiliation with other universities that makes them thugs i guess. My point being that our own have been in trouble for the same things and that maybe this sort of assumption doesn't look any better on them than us and the good doctor should choose his words with more tact than what he did as he just makes some of our own out to be no better. Not to mention paints himself and maybe his university in a bad light and really ultimately who cares and whats the point anyways... Is it going to change anything? No. Its not going to change anyone else's opinions of these kids to hear the dr say something like that. I think it paints the good dr in a worse light than those kids to be honest and I certainly have lost a little respect for someone that to me always seemed to illustrate class on this board. But hey you know what they say about opinions... They are just like ___holes... everyones got one.

Comment

I'm guessing that 80% of NCAA D1 basketball and football players have at one time or another tried marijuana. Many have tried it more than once. As long as they don't try to drive afterward, I don't really care.

I imagine Beasley wasn't truthful with the league office, hence his larger fine. They're all idiots for having weed and women in their rooms during this thing. That was immature, but I do think it's kind of cool that they were all hanging out together. They aren't so blinded by school loyalties that they can't be friendly with people affliated with rival universities. Good for them.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
              Look they got caught for smoking pot, ok you got them... call them pot heads, tokers, losers or whatever you want to call them for that, but smoking pot does not = "thug". That sort of leap i fail to see and frankly its disappointing to hear that sort of stereotyping coming from the good drs mouth of all people. I seem to have expected more from him and a level of class that I shouldn't have apparently. Does he think Jamar Howard is nothing but a "dope smoking thug"??? I doubt it. Is it fair to stereotype or conclude what he has, of these kids, because they go to another university? Is it fair to go so far as to make them out to be thugs because they smoked some herb and were running with a few ladies? I don't understand if its the pot or the affiliation with other universities that makes them thugs i guess. My point being that our own have been in trouble for the same things and that maybe this sort of assumption doesn't look any better on them than us and the good doctor should choose his words with more tact than what he did as he just makes some of our own out to be no better. Not to mention paints himself and maybe his university in a bad light and really ultimately who cares and whats the point anyways... Is it going to change anything? No. Its not going to change anyone else's opinions of these kids to hear the dr say something like that. I think it paints the good dr in a worse light than those kids to be honest and I certainly have lost a little respect for someone that to me always seemed to illustrate class on this board. But hey you know what they say about opinions... They are just like ___holes... everyones got one.

Obviously I have offended one dedicated and respected poster in our community, and I would assume that I offended many more (the 10-1 rule).

For the "thug" comment, regardless what it means to me, I certainly understand what it means to others and how it was taken and I apologize for offending anyone and everyone.

If I may, and I understand if nobody cares........I abhor our culture's general attitude towards drugs, and especially the laissez faire approach to marijuana.

It is all but deemed acceptable to "experiment" and "expand one's mind" and it is to the point that nobody cares and more and more often, people that take my approach are branded "close minded", "oppressionist" and "behind the times".

Drugs, in the manner in which we are discussing, have never done anything but harm. The sellers prey upon our children who are easily manipulated and often abused. There is a reason nobody starts smoking in their 30s.....they're too smart.

I've seen too many people, especially children ruined by dope. Rarely do I see someone that can honestly say "My life is better because I smoke dope".

Lastly, while I freely admit to a negative bias towards the other state schools and what I consider to be a win at all cost approach to the recruiting of "student" athletes in especially the high profile sports, in no way shape or form does that mean that I give anyone from WSU a pass or believe that somehow it has never happened here. The act is equally reprehensible for kids from my school. In fact, it is far more dissappointing.

Sorry, I take a hard line when it comes to the children in our world, especially those that cannot look after themselves. Perhaps I apply my irritation too widely across the spectrum....if that's the case, I'm thick enough to wear it.

But again, for the thug comment, I sincerely apologize for offending anyone.

Comment

Dr you didn't offend me but I'm just of the opinion that smoking dope doesn't make someone a "thug" is all. I can understand and respect your opinion I just thought you might have been hasty with your wording is all. I wont get into dope vs other drugs etc because well this would just turn into a messy thread with folks on both sides of the fence with their opinions. Both sides have valid reasons and justifiable explanations for those opinions I'm sure but I just don't like the idea of one thing being turned into or branded something else. I remember once my grandfather asked me if I wanted to fight or if I was angry about something because I had my hat on backwards. I guess he had read an article in the paper saying that kids turn their hats backwards did it as a sign of wanting to fight or some bs. needless to say I hadn't heard that nor any other kid I knew and last I knew kids had been wearing their hats backwards since long before me. I think its important for people to keep things in proportion when it comes to lots of these social issues. It's important to not make things into something they are not. Lets judge something for what is is and not more than what it is. If we could do that I think we would find people could get along much better in general. But again thats just my opinion and again we all know what they say about opinions... I was just really surprised by such a rash post by someone such as yourself that always displays so much class and understanding on these boards is all. I don't have any beef with you so much as the attitude that you presented is all. I appreciate you explaining yourself. It helps keep it in perspective and helps me and maybe others to understand where you are coming from.

Comment

When I wore my hat backwards, it was because I was a 'catcher' growing up, and it was just a catcher thing.

I was under the impression that Beasley maybe knew of the situation, but refused to cooperate with the authoratives in the matter, and that is why he was fined.

I, think, that winning the championship may have gone to someone's head a little too much.

Comment

I sort of take the Katt Williams approach to pot - "If you can't smoke pot because of your job, then stay off and chase that paper." I think that's where these guys are missing the boat. I can stay off pot for a pretty lame salary, I could probably go vegetarian for an NBA salary!
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I'm with ya Doc. I understand where the "thug" comment caught people a little wrong and understand that. But I agree that our society has sadly gotten to the point where they accept or make excuses for people who make poor decisions like smoking the hippie lettuce. We all make poor decisions from time to time as we're not perfect. But I've never understood the facsination with weed and why society accepts when some use it. Of all the friends I have, I know a couple have tried it before. None have done it on a regular basis and most have stayed away from it. I do wish the professional leagues were harder on the use of it than they are. It sends a very poor image of things to our kids.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm calling it as I see it -- The entertainment and sports industries (NBA is at the top of the order) have glorified drug and thug culture. David Stern and Co. know this and these fines go to show they might be just a little concerned. I mean why wouldn't they - they've got an multi-million dollar industry to protect.

Comment

We've traveled this ground before, but that won't stop me. For whatever reason we've decided to let liquor be legal and weed not. Lots of things are illegal. Speeding is illegal. Jaywalking is illegal. Having indulged in both liquor and weed, I think society would be better off if liquor were outlawed and weed were legal-if we had to pick one legal drug.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                            I'm calling it as I see it -- The entertainment and sports industries (NBA is at the top of the order) have glorified drug and thug culture. David Stern and Co. know this and these fines go to show they might be just a little concerned. I mean why wouldn't they - they've got an multi-million dollar industry to protect.
                            Actually the NFL if I recall correctly has more of a problem with arrests and drugs.
                            And dont get me started on the drug problem in the MLB.

Comment

Working...
                            X