Whitlock on Vince Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitlock on Vince Young

Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

He makes some good points, although if this was written by a white man, he would be fired immediately.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

I only skimmed through it but

Everyone told Vince Young and Michael Vick the NFL would be easy. They'd revolutionize the QB position with their legs, and they could pop bottles, roll with a posse and pretend to be Jay-Z in their spare time
    vince young? seriously?

its gross over generalization like this what rubs people the wrong way.
    Hes young hes black hes got to be some kind of gangster rapper.

I only bring this up because Ive never heard anything about Vince Young.

Comment

scrambling QB never make it in the NFL. Yes they have a good year or 2. But the coaches are too smart and the players are too fast for a scrambling QB to be successful in the NFL. That why I dont Tim Tebow will do much in the NFL.
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
        scrambling QB never make it in the NFL. Yes they have a good year or 2. But the coaches are too smart and the players are too fast for a scrambling QB to be successful in the NFL. That why I dont Tim Tebow will do much in the NFL.
        Fran Tarkenton was a good scrambler.

Tarkenton played for the Vikings from 1961 to 1966, during which time he frequently locked horns with head coach Norm Van Brocklin, who disdained the idea of a mobile quarterback, a concept that Tarkenton dramatically advanced in the NFL. Tarkenton was given the nickname "Scramblin' Fran" because he frequently ran around in the backfield to avoid being sacked by the opposition...

Comment

Steve Young was known to be quite the scrambler as well.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

but those guys could pass the ball, Vince Young and Michael Vick are more of runners than passers, and that not something you want from your QB

Comment

Vick and Young pass the ball just fine, I don't know what your problem is newshock, but I'd take either of those on the Chiefs compared to the crap quarterbacks we have now. If I'm a coach, I want QB's that can get away from defensive pressure and be able to scramble and at least give himself a chance. Now if you want a quarterback that just stands like a dummy in the pocket all the time with a defender coming right at him, and throws the ball right towards the defenders arms, be my guest. I'll take a scrambling quarterback anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas
                Vick and Young pass the ball just fine, I don't know what your problem is newshock, but I'd take either of those on the Chiefs compared to the crap quarterbacks we have now. If I'm a coach, I want QB's that can get away from defensive pressure and be able to scramble and at least give himself a chance. Now if you want a quarterback that just stands like a dummy in the pocket all the time with a defender coming right at him, and throws the ball right towards the defenders arms, be my guest. I'll take a scrambling quarterback anyday.
                Look at the stats man, they suck at passing the ball. For vince young case, in throwing 9 tds and 17 picks is not a sign of a good qb. If he was so good then why did he get booed off the field last week by his own fans. Vick is the same way, hell vick is lucky to have his completion percetage over 50 percent overall for the year. I dont have a problem with mobile qbs. There are some good ones. Like Mcnabb and even Romo is a little mobile. But im sorry Vick and Young suck and are failures as Quarterbacks.

Comment

Newshock is right there. Young and Vick haven't been the greatest passesrs and only get the hype they do because they're fast and can run. Young is still pretty young so maybe he'll figure it out eventually.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Young would probably make a good tight end or wide receiver with his size and speed. Vick would have made for a good slot back / running back.

Alot of this has to do with who he associated himself with back home. It wasn't exactly the best crowd, and they haven't exactly been too kind to him lately either.

And on Steve Young being a good scrambler. He might have been able to scramble, but his head is a little scrambled now too. How many concussions did he get? And most came when he was running and took a good shot from someone. Scrambling doesn't work in the NFL well at all anymore. Tarkenton made it work because, let's face it, they weren't as good of athletes back then.

Comment

Working...
                    X