No announcement yet.

Pre-season top 100 H.S. football teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know Hutch has been good lately, but anyone want to fill me in on why? Good coach, a few families of talented genealogy move into the area....?

When I played HS football in Kansas (W-NW in the early 90's), Hutch was in our district along with Garden City and Dodge. Us, Garden, and Dodge were always ranked top 5 in the state, and Hutch was our scrimmage game.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
      From what I'm hearing at work from a couple of Hutch folks - one who has a son on the team - is that they aren't too optimistic for a win against Rockhurst. They say Dreiling's teams are often slow starters and it takes a couple of games before they begin hitting their stride.

What are your thoughts?
      This has been true of Drieling's teams in the past. I was a sophomore his 1st year... we were one game away from tieing the state 6A record for consecutive losses. We won that game, and finished at about .500 . The next year, we won (a share of) the AVL title. My senior year, we won the title outright.

Randy likes to run a robust offense, and often emphasizes a beefy offensive line (with the exception of the center...whom he likes to be a little quicker for pull and cut-blocks). He's had a combination of speedsters and power backs in the past. That's not to say he won't air it out when they have a decent QB. Defense is usually the name of the game with a lot of his teams however...you don't tend to see the other team pile up the TD's.

All that being said, Rockhurst is a great team, and it's entirely possible they lose that game.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
        I know Hutch has been good lately, but anyone want to fill me in on why? Good coach, a few families of talented genealogy move into the area....?

When I played HS football in Kansas (W-NW in the early 90's), Hutch was in our district along with Garden City and Dodge. Us, Garden, and Dodge were always ranked top 5 in the state, and Hutch was our scrimmage game.
        In watching from a distance (albeit only about 10 miles), it was definitely the coach. From what I understand he was able to get all lower levels to start learning the high school system and now it just feeds off itself. I think Buhler is in the process of trying to do the same thing. It is viable in districts that only have one high school.

Comment

Originally posted by RampageWSU
          Not to be a homer...but...

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're on the list. But #93? I mean crap....what does not losing a game in 2 years, and 4 straight state titles get you these days? LOL...GO SALTHAWKS!
          The fact is that you can't compare high school football in Kansas with high school football in places like Texas and Florida. I know a guy who played high school football in Kansas, was a highly recruited player and eventually played in the NFL. He said that he had to make a huge adjustment to how big the playbooks were in college after playing at the Kansas high school level. Incoming freshman from Texas, on the other hand, had been playing with that size playbook all through high school. He said that he came in way less prepared than recruits from the major football states.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
            Originally posted by rjl

In watching from a distance (albeit only about 10 miles), it was definitely the coach. From what I understand he was able to get all lower levels to start learning the high school system and now it just feeds off itself. I think Buhler is in the process of trying to do the same thing. It is viable in districts that only have one high school.
            That always seems to be the common demonitor. Way back when in my playing days, way before Alan Schuckman showed up on the scene, Bishop Carroll couldn’t win a game…not to mention Kriewel was leading Kapaun to the City League’s last state title and Lawrence and Liberal were the two dominant teams in the state. And I can tell you from personal experience it all goes back to coaching, starting with the head man all the way down to the lowest level assistant. Once a coach gets the ball rolling and momentum shifts then players start coming out of the woodwork.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
              Originally posted by RampageWSU
              Not to be a homer...but...

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're on the list. But #93? I mean crap....what does not losing a game in 2 years, and 4 straight state titles get you these days? LOL...GO SALTHAWKS!
              The fact is that you can't compare high school football in Kansas with high school football in places like Texas and Florida. I know a guy who played high school football in Kansas, was a highly recruited player and eventually played in the NFL. He said that he had to make a huge adjustment to how big the playbooks were in college after playing at the Kansas high school level. Incoming freshman from Texas, on the other hand, had been playing with that size playbook all through high school. He said that he came in way less prepared than recruits from the major football states.
              What does the size of the playbook have to do with producing successful HS football programs? If that were the case, my coach would have had a playbook 20" thick....!

Comment

I believe hes talking about how serious it is taken.

Which in Kansas doesnt really seem all that serious. Well at least around this area.

Comment

Working...
                X