High School Sports Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Sports Funding

This is an interesting article on the struggles many programs around the country face, even in some very sports-minded communities. I wonder how long it will be before we start to see some of these same decisions being considered in Kansas?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

By cutting sports, many of these districts are going to lose even more money. Students will go elsewhere. If this were to happen while I was in HS I can guarantee my parents would have placed me somewhere else. And I'd do the same if I had kids in that situation.

Also, I don't think some people understand that sports is much more than just an activity that has no real value in education. Many things are learned through sports. Also, in some locations, it's a way to keep kids off the street and may be their best option to get into college and opens doors otherwise shut.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I agree that sports and all other outside of school activities that are school sponsored are an important part of an education as well as the quality of life in a community. But how many people out there can only see as far as their tax bill? There are far too many who want their taxes cut but then whine when services and such are cut or have fees attached when they didn't before.

As for me, I see well thought out spending on education as investment, not a cost.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

That's basically how someone in the article put it. You're either going to be investing in the school and sports and the other programs on the chopping blocks or on the police as they have more wayward kids.

I know that's not going to be the issue everywhere, but in many places it is. I also liked the part where gov't intities don't have to worry as much about where the money is going like private business. I'm sure most of these schools could spend more wisely and cut other unneeded expenses before doing away with sports and other activities/classes.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think you'll start seeing football disappear in some districts. It is very costly and for some schools, they hardly have enough kids to field a team. But for larger districts, cutting sports would be an absolutely terrible thing for many of those kids.

Comment

Working...
          X