Its official Sonic franchise will move to OKC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its official Sonic franchise will move to OKC

i know alot of people dont care for the NBA, but i wonder if the NBA will become a little more popular now that we have a local team just 2 hour south. Im excited about the move because now i just have travel 2 hours to go and see the mavs play twice a year. But my hope is that maybe this will create a little more interest in the NBA from the wichita and surrounding area.

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

If the NBA wants to gain fans, they better put games on FSN throughout Kansas & other areas around OKC.

Comment

Originally posted by BenWSU
      If the NBA wants to gain fans, they better put games on FSN throughout Kansas & other areas around OKC.
      they do in NBA cities, and their surrounding area. But since we did not have a local team, thats why we didnt ever see any game on FSN.

Comment

I thought the thread was about http://www.sonicdrivein.com/. :D
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
          I thought the thread was about http://www.sonicdrivein.com/. :D
          Sonic did start in Oklahoma after all...
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

you know what this crap isnt right.

Am I excited to have to have an NBA team in my back door yes.
            I dont like the way it happened so I dont know.
            I will definitly watch but im irked about it.

BTW nobody on that roster screams omg I have to go watch them minus Kevin Durant.

Comment

OKC means nothing to me. The only way any move could possibly get me interested is if KC had a team. And that still wouldn't be a sure thing. Maybe if PJ or Miller or someone down the road makes it I'll have some interest.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I really hope this works out but something tells me the owner better get this team turned around over the next 5 years. I just can't see the numbers working out over the long haul having a losing team in the smallest of markets. In other words his margin for error is signficantly reduced compared to nearby Dallas.

Comment

Would someone sharper than I (and that means most everyone) be able to compare the markets in Kansas City v OKC?

Comment

Who was it that Seattle got in the draft this year?

I imagine they will pick a predictable name like:

Oklahoma Flyers
                    Oklahoma Oasis or such.

I don't think that getting a NBA club halfway close to us is bad though.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                      Would someone sharper than I (and that means most everyone) be able to compare the markets in Kansas City v OKC?
                      KC has the Sprint center and other professional sports teams, but maybe the NBA thought OKC would support the team better, being the only pro team in town.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

KC Metro area:

Population: 2.2 million
                        Med Income: $37,100
                        Business: 4 Fortune 500 companies (Sprint Nextel Corporation, H&R Block, Embarq Corporation, and YRC Worldwide Inc.)

OKC Metro area:

Population: 1.2 million
                        Med Income: $34,900
                        Business: 2 Fortune 500 companies (Devon Energy and Chesapeake Energy), plus Clay Bennett and a group of investors willing to bring a team to OKC

In regards to right or wrong...This was not like the Browns being taken from Cleveland. If Seattle wanted to keep the Sonics, they should have let their elected officials know. With a new arena, or the proposed renovations to Key Arena, the team would still be there.

I am happy though that the name and colors will be staying with the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                          KC Metro area:

Population: 2.2 million
                          Med Income: $37,100
                          Business: 4 Fortune 500 companies (Sprint Nextel Corporation, H&R Block, Embarq Corporation, and YRC Worldwide Inc.)

OKC Metro area:

Population: 1.2 million
                          Med Income: $34,900
                          Business: 2 Fortune 500 companies (Devon Energy and Chesapeake Energy), plus Clay Bennett and a group of investors willing to bring a team to OKC

In regards to right or wrong...This was not like the Browns being taken from Cleveland. If Seattle wanted to keep the Sonics, they should have let their elected officials know. With a new arena, or the proposed renovations to Key Arena, the team would still be there.

I am happy though that the name and colors will be staying with the city.
                          The other difference is that KC had their own team with the Kings and they were half-way decent and still did not draw enough fan support. OKC had the Hornets there for a while and drew fairly well.

Comment

Big difference from having a team all the time and having a new thing that you know isn't going to be around long. OKC may draw well early on as expected, but unless they're contenders I expect them to be in financial trouble.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                              Who was it that Seattle got in the draft this year?
                              Russell Westbrook PG from UCLA

Comment

Working...
                              X