No announcement yet.

City tows junk cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While it is true that supreme court justices are appointed for life that does not completely make them immune to pressure. For example the justice's children that may have political aspirations. Do you think that if Rehnquist's had ruled against a issue strongly supported by the consertative party that his daughter would be nominated inspector general of the Department of Health and Human Services? Somehow I just dont see that likely.

There were a couple of other cases where conservatives joined in with the liberal justices in seizing the property of others for non public purposes:

In this decision the supreme court ruled that taking property from one person in order to "diversify" ownership was acceptable.

The land/building of a department store that was not classified as blighted was taken away from the owners because the general area was blighted.

Those previous decisions were unanimous. I see a pattern and it isn't protection of property. I'll even set that aside for a minute. Wouldn't you consider Kansas overall tends to be conservative? Yet, Kansas did not pass a constitutional amendment. The only thing to come of it was a bill that essentially requires the legislature to sign off on any seizures (this of course can be watered down with future legilation).

Topeka ? A proposed constitutional amendment to protect property rights failed Thursday in the House, but members weren't through trying to prevent Kansans from being forced to sell their homes and businesses.

In fact Kansas is frequently listed in what I reviewed as one of the three worst states in the country at seizing homes and businesses.

Loved these quotes:

Cities love eminent domain because they can offer other people's property to lure or reward favored developers
    Developers love eminent domain because they don't have to bother with negotiating for property. They can pick anywhere they want, rather than anywhere they can buy

Comment

Ixiah,

Very few individuals are completely immune to public pressure; however, I would hope that a Supreme Court Justice would not allow outside pressures to influence their decisions. I have not read those decisions so I cannot comment on them specifically; however, I do note the following:

Hawaii Housing Authority v. Midkiff was decided in 1984. The Chief Justice was Burger. Although the unanimous opinion was authoried by O'Conner (who was really more of a moderate), this Court as a whole would not be considered "conservative". Simiarly, Berman v. Parker was decided in 1954. The Chief Justice at that time was Warren. Again, the make up of this Supreme Court would not be considered "conservative". These examples don't seem to support your argument.

My point was simply this: Supreme Court rulings authored or supported by Justices that were appointed by Republican Presidents are not necessarily representative of conservative political theory.

Comment

I thought this thread was about towing cars!!!

I say, tow away. Then start on the refrigerators, the furniture outisde, charge to cut their grass if, indeed, they have any

Comment

Working...
        X