No announcement yet.

Pre-Season College Football Rankings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Season College Football Rankings...

With the kickoff of football practices rapidly approaching, it's time for another look at the early preseason Top 25 for 2008.

Not too bad of a list...until you get to #25

Schlabach gives in to the masses way to easily. I love how part of his reasoning for ranking Notre Dame is because NBC renewed their TV contract. Then he goes on to remind everyone that Jimmy Clausen is returning, which should be one of the reasons for not ranking them. But Charlie Weis might have the right mix, so I'll rank them 25th. Dolt.

KU plays four teams in his top 11, and at South Florida, which I've seen ranked in the top 15 in Phil Steele's magazine. I already miss last year's schedule.

Here are Schlabach's predicted bowls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Here is a link to a nice composite preseason poll (15 polls included).

2008 Preseason College Football Polls (22 polls), Last updated: 08/31/2008
      The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Even better is his reasoning for ranking USC where he did...or lack thereof a reason. "I put them here because the NCAA is investigating the OJ Mayo ordeal and because they're still trying to figure out the whole Reggie Bush thing." Pure genius

Comment

If you don't think Notre Dame will be better, you're delusional. The schedule is much easier than last year's version.

I'm not saying I'd rank them 25, but why not?

If you have the "balls" to rank 'em that high, and they can get to 8 or 9 wins, you'll look like a great prognosticator, because they will surely be in the top 25.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock

http://www.lsufootball.net/articles/...ason-polls.htm
            Apparently, Schlabach isn't the only one ranking the Irish around the top 25. In fact, every one of these polls has them in the top 30, so why is his ranking so far off?

Comment

Also, Kansas might be just as good or better than last year, but there's no way they'll end up with a similar record. They're doomed to lose at least 3.

This has more to do with strenght of schedule than anything else.

Comment

so when does the college football playoffs start?
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                  Originally posted by tgcshock

http://www.lsufootball.net/articles/...ason-polls.htm
                  Apparently, Schlabach isn't the only one ranking the Irish around the top 25. In fact, every one of these polls has them in the top 30, so why is his ranking so far off?
                  Well you automatically get 26 if you're not in the top 25, a feat the Irish achieved in 13 of the 15 polls. Hey, I'm sure Notre Dame will do better than the 3-9 they were last year, and their schedule is easier this year (Just one preseason top 20 - USC). Steele loves them as his #1 most improved team.

I agree about KU. We have our hands full this year. After last year I'm not going to say we have any number of sure losses, but obviously 12-1 is a stretch for even the most optimistic fans. I'd take that Alamo Bowl and be happy.

Comment

how exactly did notre dame get better?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                      How could they not get better? When their season headed south they started playing a lot of young players – particularly in the trenches. Their line & QB play undoubtedly will be better…but they were so bad last season that I’m not sure “getting/will be better” means they’re anywhere near top 25.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                        Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                        How could they not get better? When their season headed south they started playing a lot of young players – particularly in the trenches. Their line & QB play undoubtedly will be better…but they were so bad last season that I’m not sure “getting/will be better” means they’re anywhere near top 25.
                        Well you have to take in to account the media. If Notre Dame is even remotely good, they'll be in the top 25.

Comment

Then I guess the Chiefs are locks to be in the super bowl.

Comment

Their schedule is much, much easier, their players are more mature and they were talented to begin with, and in college football, when you win more than you lose and your school's initials are ND, then you are going to be in the top 25. Not that I want to have anything to do with comparing the Irish and the Shockers, but even with my disdain of Notre Dame, it is impossible not to concede that last year was almost a perfect storm of things that didn't go their way, not unlike WSU's basketball season.

Comment

Working...
                            X