Another Debate: Global Warming/Climate Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Debate: Global Warming/Climate Change

Most of the MSM doesn't really put the studies that say we have little to no effect on climate change out there. Yes, there are scientists who think this is a huge issue that must be dealt with. There are those who think we have no sizeable impact on Climate Change though. And some scientists have been treated rather poorly after have coming out against it and I've heard some have lost jobs over their views.

At one point, the founder of the Weather Channel was considering suing Al Gore for fraud. I found it humorous but understand the point he was trying to make.

This one is more of a humorist approach to what some of the environmentalists are like. Not a lot of fact based stuff but there's a point there I think.

Then there's atmospheric physicist Dr. S Fred Singer who has been run dow by those he disagrees with.

Here's one telling about how over 400 prominent scientists and researchers dispute man-made global warming.

Here's one that shows some of the facts that are used are complete BS.

Then there's one about how some of the top environmentalists don't have any alternatives to the eregies we use anyway.

Those are some of the ones I have on hand at the moment. Again, I do know there are views on the other side and we all hear about those all the time. I'm just presenting the other side. I'm not completely sold either way on this. I do think Al Gore makes a bigger issue out of it than it is.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

When one side starts saying "the debate is over", and "there is no dissent" (I've heard both from the man-made global warming crowd recently), they are pushing so hard to sway public opinion that it is clear they stand to lose something (a cash cow, perhaps) if their viewpoint is succesfully challenged.

Comment

For argument's sake, let's say that man has caused global warming.

The Al Gore type solutions, cap and trade, carbon tax etc., would devestate our economy.

Many Democrat politicians are talking about "80 by 50" - a 80% reduction in co2 by 2050.

To do this, based on population projections, our per capita output in 2050 would be the same as Somalia (according to a Wall Street Journal editorial on Monday.)

According to the Congressional Budget office, the Lieberman-Warner cap and trade bill would be a $1 trillion tax increase and would cause our GDP to actually shrink .

Neither of these proposals will ever be passed, so we should get out of this fantasy land.

The other important point is that there is no indication that even if these types of proposals would pass, that there would be any impact on global warming.

Comment

"Prominent climate alarmist" Tom Wigley has come out behind Bush's plan and criticized Gore's.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Wow - we are starting threads on all the hot button issues lately.

I took a number of geology classes out at WSU before deciding it wasn't my calling. Back then it wasn't a controversial issue it is now so its safe to say nobody had an agenda. Pretty much the earth goes through periods of warming and cooling down. Also the Atlantic pump carry warm water is pretty much a scientific fact. To argue against this is pretty much idiocy (for example you don't see glaciers in Kansas and Nebraska but there is evidence they have been down this far several times).

Scientists have pretty much concluded CO2 contributes to warming and its pretty definite we are adding to it. The key question in the warming trend how much of an effect people are making. All answers here are just opinions and nobody knows for certain. As for statements about specific weather events being attributed to global warming - its speculation.

I really think there is not much we can do about global warming however. It would require global consensus and that just isn't going to happen. Individual countries can regulate themselves but it would just be hurting themselves in competitive global trade. Probably the best thing the United States could do would be major government commitment to assisting in the design of cost efficient vehicles that use an alternative fuel source.

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah
              Probably the best thing the United States could do would be major government commitment to assisting in the design of cost efficient vehicles that use an alternative fuel source.
              No argument here.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                Probably the best thing the United States could do would be major government commitment to assisting in the design of cost efficient vehicles that use an alternative fuel source.
                No argument here.
                Please, please, please, provide one credible argument how the govt would do a beter job at this than Ford, Toyota, GM etc.

This is a crazy idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                  Originally posted by SubGod22
                  No argument here.
                  Please, please, please, provide one credible argument how the govt would do a beter job at this than Ford, Toyota, GM etc.

This is a crazy idea.
                  Please read the post better....assisting as in offering incentives to the automakers such as R & D tax credits, infrastructure (all those gasoline stations would have to switch) , etc.

Comment

Why do they need assistance?

We have 200 million drivers in the US.

Markets work.

Why do you think the 535 members of Congress can figure out what the auto manufacturers should do better than the 200 million drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

Markets work.

Why do you think the 535 members of Congress can figure out what the auto manufacturers should do better than the 200 million drivers?
                      From "Kingpin":
                      Who's done more research than the good people at the American Tobacco Industry? They say its harmless. Why would they lie? If you're dead, you can't smoke.
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

Markets work.

Didn't those 200 million drivers give their voice when they voted to have those Congressmen represent them?! Last time I checked we were a republic.

Oh, and markets dont always work to the best interest of a country. For example the Bear Stearns investment bank bailout.

Originally posted by Ernanke testimony
                        Given the exceptional pressures on the global economy and financial system, the damage caused by a default of Bear Stearns could have been severe and extremely difficult to contain,
                        Jamie Dimon, CEO of JP Morgan, asserted, "A Bear Stearns bankruptcy could well have touched off a chain reaction at other major financial institutions that would have shaken confidence in the credit markets that already have been battered."

Dimon, while not explaining the degree to which the institutions are connected through the $135 trillion credit and interest-derivative market, knows full well the domino effect a Bear Stearns collapse would have triggered.

Now a free marketer would say let things fall where they may. Heard that on a few radio programs in fact. Do you honestly believe this should be done? If Bear Stearns goes down then so does a whole lot of other institutions and you have a serious risk of financial collapse. What free market will be left? Sorry, nobody wants the deep recession or even depression that would result.

While its still in the future we face an economic collapse due to our dependence on imported oil, weak dollar, massive inflation from tranportation costs, and lack of progress to switch to other sources of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla
                          Originally posted by ABC

Markets work.

From "Kingpin":
                          Who's done more research than the good people at the American Tobacco Industry? They say its harmless. Why would they lie? If you're dead, you can't smoke.
                          I heard somewhere that alot of truth is told in jest.

Comment

Actually, I have delved into the research being conducted for alternate fuels for autos, like Hydrogen and yes, even water. It is pretty interesting.

And, I believe that God's plan, as outlined in Revelations, will come about much to the dismay of modern day scientists. Once you understand that, everything else falls into place. Read 'The book of Revelations - The Smart Guide to the Bible'.

I know there are some advocates out there that believe with all our scientific and technical knowledge that we can overcome any problem that might pop up, but that is simply not true. We can't even cure the common cold, much less more important issues.

Comment

we can cure the common cold.
                              Theres just to much money to be made NOT letting that out.

Atleast IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X