Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Football-Gateway Conference Financials

Budget wise:

Illinois State football ended $671,000 in the red, and $289,000 in the red overall.

Indiana State football ended $1,220,000 in the red, but program overall finished $3,000 in the black.

Missouri State football ended $581,000 in the red, and the program balanced its budget overall.

Northern Iowa football ended $280,000 in the red, but program overall finsihed $10,000 in the black.

Southern Illinois football ended $1,250,000 in the red, but $138,000 in the black overall.

Western Illinois football ended $332,000 in the red, and $58,000 in the red overall.

Youngstown State football ended $1,170,000 in the red, but $732,000 in the black overall.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State did not submit athletic expense statements.

Looks good to me. 8)

Comment

So, although football loses an average of about 786,000, the overall athletics is still on the positive side at about 76,500.

It's definitely doable.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
        So, although football loses an average of about 786,000, the overall athletics is still on the positive side at about 76,500.

It's definitely doable.
        I agree. And who knows, maybe WSU could adjust that average to make it a lesser number.

Comment

It's definitely doable.
          Student fees.

Now that they are helping fund the baseball improvements, they can parlay that into a football fee once it expires.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

It's definitely doable.
            Student fees.

Now that they are helping fund the baseball improvements, they can parlay that into a football fee once it expires.
            So we gotta wait 10 more years? How much longer is left on the Koch student fee thing?

Comment

From http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/35384 :

Funding: Combination of $12 million in student fees, which will be paid over 20 years, and donations. The lead gift was $6 million from Koch Industries.
              And from http://www.wichita.edu/insidewsu/@11...renovation.htm :

Shortly after the announcement, the student fees committee raised the appropriation for athletic facilities from 64 cents to $1.90 beginning the next academic year, which would bring in an estimated $542,450 annually.
              Based on that number, a $2 per credit-hour increase would just about subsidize the operating losses. I would have guessed a $5 increase would be needed to raise those kinds of funds.

Comment

Here is WSU Student who could care less about sports take on the issue, "instead of students subsidizing additional improvements for athletic programs here at the university, why don't we use that money toward academic facility improvements, increased professorships and salaries, and updated technical resources and equipment".

"I'd like to see Wichita State one day show up on the US News and World Report college and univerisity rankings as a top two tier university rather than in the 4th and last tier".

"Academic reputation is far more important to me than what our baseball team does on the field".

Rebuttal please....

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                  Here is WSU Student who could care less about sports take on the issue, "instead of students subsidizing additional improvements for athletic programs here at the university, why don't we use that money toward academic facility improvements, increased professorships and salaries, and updated technical resources and equipment".

"I'd like to see Wichita State one day show up on the US News and World Report college and univerisity rankings as a top two tier university rather than in the 4th and last tier".

"Academic reputation is far more important to me than what our baseball team does on the field".

Rebuttal please....
                  Sports are the face of the University.

Comment

Get a job you hippy

Comment

Collegiate athletics, among other positive attributes, create a focal point and a source of pride for the campus and surroundng community. More importantly perhaps collegiate athletics provide the primary means of inter-relating with alumni and the general public, who provide the funding, either directly or indirectly for all university activiites.

Take away this window of athletics and you have a relatively sterile, anonymous institution.

After all, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame and Vanderbilt to name a few of our most oustanding universities from an academic standpoint all have full blown high-level college athletic programs.

It is a symbiotic relationship that has developed naturally over time and for good reasons regarding the health of the institutions.

Now should fees paid by current and future students be the primary way to fund football operating costs at WSU. I dont' know. It's always nice to be able to tax the other guy to pay for something you want. If we could somehow manage a way to assess all WSU alumni and the student body $10 a head per year we would probably cover the cost of operating a football program fairly easily. Assessing student fees is easier and eliminates someone choosing not to participate.

Comment

I'd pay $10 a year. Of course I would buy season tickets anyways, so I'd be contributing.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox

Rebuttal please....
                          You should lobby for a student fee increase for the items you think should be addressed. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

(Speculation on facts and figures follow . . .)

WSU does not have the programs to make it a candidate for a top-two tier university. Once the Board of Regents gives approval to start those programs, working toward that goal can become part of the discussion.

Less than 5% of your tuition is currently allocated to athletic purposes. Considering that athletics influences a majority of the overall perception of a university, a very minor increase in fees for athletic endeavors is a small price to pay for improving the overall image of WSU, which could foster a better academic atmosphere and standing.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                            Less than 5% of your tuition is currently allocated to athletic purposes. Considering that athletics influences a majority of the overall perception of a university, a very minor increase in fees for athletic endeavors is a small price to pay for improving the overall image of WSU, which could foster a better academic atmosphere and standing.
                            As a parent currently paying tuition and fees for more than one WSU student, I've looked into this issue.
                            1. No tuition money ($130.40 per SCH) goes to athletics.
                            2. WSU student fees of $25 per SCH goes to a variety of activities including athletics. If all of the $25 went to athletics, then athletics at WSU would receive about $7,500,000 per year. This would not pay for D1 BCS football. http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=tuitionfe...07/tuitionfees
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Here is my question, how do these schools compare to WSU in spending for other sports.

If football keeps these schools from spending the kind of money WSU does not basketball, baseball, etc., by draining athletic department resources, it is something that has to be taken into account.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                              X