I'm planning to adopt a Corgi and I need tips on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm planning to adopt a Corgi and I need tips on

how to take care of it from people with experience with dogs. Also, please suggest a name for my future pup (it's going to be a boy)

cant go wrong with Wushock as a name(thats what i named my dog :D )
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I am a big dog lover. Corgi are sociable friendly dogs, good family pets. Don't really know about any special care for them. Have you googled Corgi's on the net?

How about Casey for a name?

Comment

Corgi's do shed a lot, so be prepared. Name him after my favorite baseball player - Ken Griffey Jr.

My dog is named Griffey.

Comment

I like Griffey and might borrow your idea.

Comment

Also, the quickest way to potty train the pup is to crate train him. Dogs will not use the bathroom in living spaces they consider their own. So they will not use the bathroom in the crate. This will force/teach them to hold onto number 1 and 2 and when the time comes, take the pup outside to use the bathroom at the exact same spot day-in and day-out.

This will develop the dog's memory that outside at that spot means to use the bathroom. In addition, having to hold it in, the dog will be relieved to go outside.

Comment

KC is spot on that advice, I have two labs that I trained them like that and rarely if ever have a problem.

Comment

I would name him, 24 and then call him Willie on a daily basis.
                Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                  Also, the quickest way to potty train the pup is to crate train him. Dogs will not use the bathroom in living spaces they consider their own. So they will not use the bathroom in the crate. This will force/teach them to hold onto number 1 and 2 and when the time comes, take the pup outside to use the bathroom at the exact same spot day-in and day-out.

This will develop the dog's memory that outside at that spot means to use the bathroom. In addition, having to hold it in, the dog will be relieved to go outside.
                  Remember when crate training to get a kennel small enough that he can't just pee in the corner. It needs to be large enough for him to turn around in the crate and lay down stretched out, but small enough that he can't get away from the mess. Also, take the puppy out frequently. After you let it out of the kennel, after it eats, after it plays.

Be dominate with your body language if the dog is misbehaving, i.e. chemwing on something it shouldn't or jumping on guests. Nothing is more frustrating than going to someone's house where the dog isn't under control within a few minutes.

For shedding, I would recommend a "furmanator." It is a VERY expensive brush ($40-60), but it has done wonders with our German Shepherd Dog.

I believe a Corgi is an excellent first dog. Friendly, small, and not overly dominant. Good luck and enjoy!
                  Livin the dream

Comment

From Wikipedia:

Health

The length of the spine can cause spinal problems and early arthritis in Corgis, especially those that are overweight. Corgis have a typical life expectancy of twelve to fourteen years.

Pembroke Corgis, if not kept active or if overfed, can easily become obese. The disease can end a Pembroke Corgi's life particularly early since biophysical stresses on the structures of a Pembroke Corgi's spine resulting from the weight of an over-sized belly can and do lead to secondary diseases such as osteoarthritis. Corgis are also prone to a disease called degenerative myelopathy.

Pembroke Corgis should also not be forced to jump from heights, such as from a couch, for they could fracture their relatively short legs or damage their very long backs.

[edit] History

Originally bred for herding sheep and cattle, they have proven themselves as excellent companion animals and are outstanding competitors in sheepdog trials and dog agility. There are two theories of Pembroke Welsh Corgi origin:

1. Some Cardigan Welsh Corgis were crossed with Swedish Vallhund Dogs.
                    2. Some of the original dogs (the Pembrokes) evolved from Cardigans and from other dogs, such as Schipperke and Pomeranians, and other Spitz-type dogs.

Corgis are becoming more popular in the United States and rank 22nd in American Kennel Club registrations[1] as of 2006. Pembroke Welsh Corgis seem to be loved by Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom; she reportedly has 16 of them. These dogs have been a favored dog by British royalty for more than 70 years.

Comment

Also, don't forget to watch Dog Whisperer: National Geographic Channel.

Comment

Working...
                      X