Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECLIPSE

Is this the stupidest thing ever?

I witnessed a bonus partial eclipse on my morning commute. Then the cloud moved.

Comment

The thing I am liking is how they are saying to put pets indoors, yet NASA says dont worry about it. If dogs dont look at it the sun any other time, they wont this time either.

Comment

There have been other eclipses in this part of the country in many peoples' lifetime. We had a total 100% eclipse right in this area back in 1994. The thing that was different about those in the past is I don't remember all the paranoia about eyes and glasses and pets and whatnot. I think the variable in the equation this time is social media, which appears to be slowly making us dumber as the human race.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          I think the variable in the equation this time is social media, which appears to be slowly making us dumber as the human race.
          This^
          Go Shocks!

Comment

There have been other eclipses in this part of the country in many peoples' lifetime. We had a total 100% eclipse right in this area back in 1994. The thing that was different about those in the past is I don't remember all the paranoia about eyes and glasses and pets and whatnot. I think the variable in the equation this time is social media, which appears to be slowly making us dumber as the human race.
            The one in '94 was actually an annular eclipse, which is a little different than a total eclipse. There hasn't been a total eclipse in the states since '79. With the annular eclipses, the sun is still visible because the moon appears quite a bit smaller than the sun. With the total eclipses, the sun is totally blocked.

I imagine that social media has made us more aware about the dangers it can cause to our eyes, but it's not a "dumber" situation. You could do serious damage to your eyes if you don't wear protective glasses. The darker it gets, the more dilated your pupils will become, which means they'll be more sensitive when you stare directly at the sun. That said, I'm confident the one in the 90s also included discussions about using protective eyewear, so it could just be that you're just seeing more of it now for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
              The one in '94 was actually an annular eclipse, which is a little different than a total eclipse. There hasn't been a total eclipse in the states since '79. With the annular eclipses, the sun is still visible because the moon appears quite a bit smaller than the sun. With the total eclipses, the sun is totally blocked.

I imagine that social media has made us more aware about the dangers it can cause to our eyes, but it's not a "dumber" situation. You could do serious damage to your eyes if you don't wear protective glasses. The darker it gets, the more dilated your pupils will become, which means they'll be more sensitive when you stare directly at the sun. That said, I'm confident the one in the 90s also included discussions about using protective eyewear, so it could just be that you're just seeing more of it now for whatever reason.
              I was a sophomore in HS during the 1994 eclipse. The entire school went outside to watch it, parental permission slip-free, with the directions consisting solely of "this will be neat, but don't look directly at the sun, dumbass." That bit after the last comma might be exaggerated, but the rest of it isn't.

Comment

I was a sophomore in HS during the 1994 eclipse. The entire school went outside to watch it, parental permission slip-free, with the directions consisting solely of "this will be neat, but don't look directly at the sun, dumbass." That bit after the last comma might be exaggerated, but the rest of it isn't.
                And everything was better when cars didn't have seatbelts and airbags and we just said "don't get in accidents!"

The bigger point is that you didn't get to look directly at the sun. So, you either looked directly at the sun and damaged your eyes... or you didn't, and you just kind of stood outside as it got a little darker. The glasses allow you to look directly at the sun and watch the moon pass in front of it. It's going to be cool to watch. Glasses allow that to happen.

From a safety perspective, it's probably more dangerous now because 90% of people are going to have glasses. In your memory, no one had glasses. Today, if 90% of the students have glasses, there are inevitably going to be some that stare at the sun without glasses because 90% of their classmates are staring directly at the sun.

What a silly thing to think exemplifies the problems with today's generation.

Comment

Yes, I would absolutely say one of the things that has weakened younger generations today is the MO to try and place yourself in a bubble away from anything harmful, be it physical or otherwise. It is weakening us physically, mentally, and intellectually.

That is another discussion, however. And I'd admit this glass craze is a terrible case-in-point.

Comment

Take your phone camera and flip the camera to selfie and watch over your shoulder. No direct rays near the eye.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Ive got eclipse fever!
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

The reason for the worry about the eyes is because of dilation. Normally when looking at the sun your pupils are constricted because it is bright out, but during an eclipse your eyes dilate to let in more light. Combine that with urgently looking at the sun to see the changes and you have the potential for damage, especially as there are no real warning signs (no pain receptors, etc.) to tell people when to look away.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The eclipse had started! Watch out for zombies!
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              Take your phone camera and flip the camera to selfie and watch over your shoulder. No direct rays near the eye.
                              Not recommended from what I have read.

All eyes will be on the sky Monday afternoon as the solar eclipse makes its way across the United States, and unlike the last total solar eclipse that graced the U.S. in 1979, almost everyone has a device to record the celestial spectacle a cell phone.

Not only might it still damage you eyes it also potentially could damage your camera lens.

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Today’s the day of the solar eclipse! A partial eclipse will be seen in Cleveland at around 1 p.m. and last until just before 4 p.m. Dr. Palak Wall, Pediatric O…

Not worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X