The Olympic Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Olympic Channel

2678 on Cox and 624 on DirecTv. I will have this on a lot.

Lots of good coverage of the 2017 IAAF World Championships a couple of weeks ago. I think they pretty much covered every event in some capacity.

I love a good track and field meet, and this one blew others out of the water. Upsets everywhere. Stunning results and lots of American success.

I was actually a little sad to see Usain Bolt lose, both in the 100 and then pull up injured in the 4X100 (which he wasn't going to win anyway).

I am hard pressed to narrow the highlights to just a few, but here were a couple that stood out to me.

Qatari high jumper Mutaz Essa Barshim HURDLES (that's right, hurdles) 6'4" in warm ups. Not surprisingly, he won the gold.

Both men's and women's 4X100 relays.

Women's marathon, I know, I know, but for a marathon it was an exciting finish.

Various highlight clips

An insane women's 1500 final. Watch the race unfold, the numerous changes of pace, the full on sprint to start the last lap, and then Jenny Simpson's late close when she looked done for the silver, and the controversial South African Caster Semenya finishing 3rd. You can't miss her, look for the guy.

And my personal favorite, an incredible race where the leader got lost on the 2nd lap, the lead changed about 20 times, and 1st steeplechase gold for an American in any international competition in more than 60 years, the women's 3K Steeplechase. 9 minutes, but I promise it's worth the watch.

He may be a bit heavy handed for some, but I love the commentary from Ato Bolden. Read up on him sometime, he's a unique dude to say the least. He may have been a bit excited when T&T won the 4X400 Gold.
    Last edited by WuDrWu; August 17, 2017, 11:08 PM.

@WuDrWu thanks for sharing this. That was a fantastic women's steeplechase.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 17, 2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

How special was that 1-2 steeplechase finish for Emma Coburn and Courtney Frerichs? It was the 1st time Americans won gold and silver at an Olympic Games or World Championship in a race over 400 meters since the 1912 Stockholm Games. Frerichs in particular was overwhelmed with emotion as both U.S. runners broke the existing American record and Frerichs was a whopping 15 seconds faster than her previous best.

Comment

Doc, you were right. That steeplechase was definitely worth all 9 minutes. Loved the very last clip of the two gals together, wrapped in the US flags.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          Doc, you were right. That steeplechase was definitely worth all 9 minutes. Loved the very last clip of the two gals together, wrapped in the US flags.
          Not to diminish Coburn's win at all, but Courtney Frerichs' reaction to winning a silver medal (much like Jenny Simpson's with the same 2nd place finish), the unbridled joy she showed.....it's why we love sports.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Not to diminish Coburn's win at all, but Courtney Frerichs' reaction to winning a silver medal (much like Jenny Simpson's with the same 2nd place finish), the unbridled joy she showed.....it's why we love sports.
            Interesting that they said Frerich's background was in gymnastics and soccer before switching to track.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              The announcers said this was the fastest women's steeplechase field in history. Going in Coburn said that if she had a perfect day she was hoping she could sneak onto the podium with a 3rd place finish and Frerichs said she didn't even expect a medal to be possibility for her. Courntey may still think it was a dream.

Comment

This is awesome @WuDrWu:

Comment

Working...
                X