Hate him or not, no terrorist attacks on US soil since his inaguration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
    MVJ responding to every terrorist is event with "we should ban X" as if that were all the nuance I've ever put forth in my argument suggests every proponent of gun control is an imbecile. Suggesting the "if it saved one life it'd be worth it" framework suggests I'm an imbecile.

My argument on the topic has always been utility vs cost. I've always said there'd be a huge cost in losing cars, knives, whatever. I've always said assault rifles have little utility so the cost would be small even if the benefit is small.

And your suggestion that I've made it about emotion is equally dishonest to MVJs suggestion.

But yeah, I'm done with this thread. It was started in the same week as a terrorist attack perpetrated by a bunch of nazis to erroneously gloat that Trump has done a great job preventing terrorist attacks. And it's somehow gone downhill from there.
    I actually said you didn't make this argument right off the bat, so it wasn't an argument against you. I never suggested you made an emotional argument (or argument at all). I was pointing out where I thought the argument had some merit and shouldn't be dismissed as trolling.

If you wish to make an argument about utility, I will listen. I don't believe it would be a small cost; and in fact believe that the utility of weapons is much greater than the utility of vehicles. Happy to expand if requested.

Your last paragraph seems to be a bit of an emotional appeal in an attempt to avoid reasonable discussion, though I certainly agree that the OP was absolutely incorrect in his assertion.
    Livin the dream

Comment

We haven't had a mass killing like Paris, Belgium, etc. since trump was elected.

Preventing mass killings by terrorists is generally the result of long-term work and less dependent on anything that happens in a shorter (say 8 month) time frame. In an odd twist, it's probably Comey who should get the credit for the lack of mass killings by terrorists in the US.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

For myself, and maybe some others, I consider terrorist attacks as external forces (that we have limited control over) creating acts of violence by those who infiltrate in or who have connections to those already here, but are relatively new to the US (only a generation or 2).

Those deadly acts, or potentially deadly, created by US citizens whose families have likely been here for several, if not many, generations I list as internal strife acts where we as a nation are responsible for why they happen, how to control it, and, hopeful eliminate as much as possible. It has very little, if any, to do with external forces.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
          MVJ responding to every terrorist is event with "we should ban X" as if that were all the nuance I've ever put forth in my argument suggests every proponent of gun control is an imbecile. Suggesting the "if it saved one life it'd be worth it" framework suggests I'm an imbecile.

My argument on the topic has always been utility vs cost. I've always said there'd be a huge cost in losing cars, knives, whatever. I've always said assault rifles have little utility so the cost would be small even if the benefit is small.

And your suggestion that I've made it about emotion is equally dishonest to MVJs suggestion.

But yeah, I'm done with this thread. It was started in the same week as a terrorist attack perpetrated by a bunch of nazis to erroneously gloat that Trump has done a great job preventing terrorist attacks. And it's somehow gone downhill from there.
          Banning cars forces the US to seriously improve mass transit. You should be all for it. Cost shifts, labor shifts, not necesarilly additional costs, just shifts. And terrorists are using cars,and trucks more and more. It is becoming their weapon of choice.

But yeah, hide behind your do nothing gun bans.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Also, here in OKC we had a near-terrorist attack. A guy tried to blow up a BancFirst with a 1000 lb bomb. Luckily, the FBI (not Trump) had been watching this wacko for months and gave him the fake bomb. He tried to detonate it twice, which is when they nabbed him. Way to go, FBI.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              Banning cars forces the US to seriously improve mass transit. You should be all for it. Cost shifts, labor shifts, not necesarilly additional costs, just shifts. And terrorists are using cars,and trucks more and more. It is becoming their weapon of choice.

But yeah, hide behind your do nothing gun bans.
              I'm on board for banning cars which are not autonomous in the not to distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn View Post
                I'm on board for banning cars which are not autonomous in the not to distant future.
                They will have to pry my Suburban from my cold, dead hands.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

If banning cars would save just one life, it would be worth it.

Al Qaeda's Yemeni branch encouraged its Western recruits to use trucks as weapons. A 2010 webzine article, "The Ultimate Mowing Machine" called for deploying a pickup truck as a "mowing machine, not to mow grass but mow down the enemies of Allah."

Comment

Working...
                  X