Mitch Fiegel fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitch Fiegel fired

According to the Eagle, Collegiate fired long time basketball coach and AD Mitch Fiegel tonight. Pretty surprising. Anybody know what's up?

Forum police: No knowledge of what's happening at Collegiate, but I do know this almost certainly doesn't relate to Shocker Men's Basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      Forum police: No knowledge of what's happening at Collegiate, but I do know this almost certainly doesn't relate to Shocker Men's Basketball.
      Mo Evans played there...a looooooong stretch.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        I'll buy that for a dollar. Moved to Off Topic.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

What happened?

Comment

Parent complaining about verbal abuse. That's the extent of what I know

Comment

Yep wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings nowdays.

Comment

So when I tell my grand kids to not let things get them upset and unless they have a broken bone or bleeding its not that big of a deal. Life isn't fair but you have to take it and deal with it and move on. Do you think they may have a case to get me fired as Grand pa?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  So when I tell my grand kids to not let things get them upset and unless they have a broken bone or bleeding its not that big of a deal. Life isn't fair but you have to take it and deal with it and move on. Do you think they may have a case to get me fired as Grand pa?
                  I can't believe that the state hasn't charged you with a crime! Moreover, the parents of your grandkids need to get a restraining order against you, pronto!
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                    I can't believe that the state hasn't charged you with a crime! Moreover, the parents of your grandkids need to get a restraining order against you, pronto!
                    You called him "pronto" on a public server!?!? Racist!!
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It was several years ago that Mitch was rumored to be let go. A large number of alumni, including too many of his former players to count, came to his defense and the situation went away.

I don't know what happened. Mitch has obviously been wildly successful. He's an old school guy from Pratt and a no nonsense guy. I can't comment because I have no recent first hand knowledge but to see Mitch and Allison on a rare occasion. I would describe Mitch as tough but fair and a heck of a coach that brought tremendous success to WCS.

I worked with Mitch for a brief period of time, and was impressed. This seems like new age kids running the asylum to me. At a bare minimum, the new AD has to explain this one. There are a LOT of kids that owe their discipline and success in life at least partly to Mitch's guidance.

Comment

Having sent one of those emails, I wasn't surprised to see one in my inbox this morning. I imagine the same (plus new ones) group that called for Mitch to stay a few years ago voiced their opinions again.

Like I said, the new AD needs to explain. If something egregious happened, then say it. But if this is about Mitch being tough on a few snowflakes that have revolted, then this will get public and ugly fast. Knowing Mitch though, I find it very difficult to fathom he did something that out of line.

Comment

Now being reported Fiegel not fired.

Comment

Here's the letter sent out today:

Dear WCS Community,

Over the past few days, we have received numerous calls and communications from our community members regarding a situation involving Coach Fiegel. There has been a considerable amount of rumor and innuendo swirling around this issue, and we apologize that WCS has not moved more quickly to set the record straight. We'd like to rectify that now by explaining the facts as we know them this afternoon. First, Coach Fiegel is an employee of WCS. He has NOT been terminated or relieved of his coaching and athletic director duties. Any reports that suggest otherwise are absolutely false - including an erroneous story in The Wichita Eagle on Aug. 4, and various other unsolicited and inaccurate social media posts. We are reaching out to The Eagle, asking them to correct their story.

The fact is this: WCS is attempting to address concerns expressed by parents and students. This is a sensitive situation involving both school policy and personnel, and we need to protect the rights and privacy of Coach Fiegel and every individual and family involved.

Because this is a personnel matter, we cannot discuss specifics. However, we are committed to improving our communications with our WCS family and we will keep you informed to the best of our ability as the situation evolves.

We appreciate that so many of our families, faculty and alumni are concerned about Coach Fiegel. He has been a beloved member of the WCS community for more than two decades. Your outreach and support speaks volumes for Coach's contributions to the WCS community over the years.

Providing our students with a positive and nurturing learning environment is our top priority. Every decision regarding policy and personnel is made strictly with that priority in mind. All personnel decisions are made by the administration, and we will not allow outside pressure to sway those decisions one way or the other.

We pledge to provide additional updates on this situation as they become available. In the meantime, please continue communicating directly with me and Shari Male Powers, Chairman of the Board of Trustees if you have concerns. We will do our best to respond to you as quickly as possible.

Tom Davis
                            Headmaster
                            Wichita Collegiate School

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              Here's the letter sent out today:

Dear WCS Community,

Over the past few days, we have received numerous calls and communications from our community members regarding a situation involving Coach Fiegel. There has been a considerable amount of rumor and innuendo swirling around this issue, and we apologize that WCS has not moved more quickly to set the record straight. We'd like to rectify that now by explaining the facts as we know them this afternoon. First, Coach Fiegel is an employee of WCS. He has NOT been terminated or relieved of his coaching and athletic director duties. Any reports that suggest otherwise are absolutely false - including an erroneous story in The Wichita Eagle on Aug. 4, and various other unsolicited and inaccurate social media posts. We are reaching out to The Eagle, asking them to correct their story.

The fact is this: WCS is attempting to address concerns expressed by parents and students. This is a sensitive situation involving both school policy and personnel, and we need to protect the rights and privacy of Coach Fiegel and every individual and family involved.

Because this is a personnel matter, we cannot discuss specifics. However, we are committed to improving our communications with our WCS family and we will keep you informed to the best of our ability as the situation evolves.

We appreciate that so many of our families, faculty and alumni are concerned about Coach Fiegel. He has been a beloved member of the WCS community for more than two decades. Your outreach and support speaks volumes for Coach's contributions to the WCS community over the years.

Providing our students with a positive and nurturing learning environment is our top priority. Every decision regarding policy and personnel is made strictly with that priority in mind. All personnel decisions are made by the administration, and we will not allow outside pressure to sway those decisions one way or the other.

We pledge to provide additional updates on this situation as they become available. In the meantime, please continue communicating directly with me and Shari Male Powers, Chairman of the Board of Trustees if you have concerns. We will do our best to respond to you as quickly as possible.

Tom Davis
                              Headmaster
                              Wichita Collegiate School
                              To paraphrase:

"We fired him, some important people objected, we have changed the firing to an addressing of concerns."

Comment

Working...
                              X