Mexican resorts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican resorts

Heard this again on KNSS this morning. Do any of you frequent the Cancun, Playa Del Carmen resorts have thoughts on it?

We are taking our honeymoon at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun in November. Reports like this aren't very reassuring.

We have been to Playa and Cancun many times. We personally prefer Playa as it is just a little further from the party scene/tourists yet close enough that you can still do any of the activities that leave from the Cancun area.

I would have a car service lined up at the airport and just take it straight to the resort, you should be fine. I'm sure there will be tons of police/military around to make the tourists feel safe. Have fun and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      We have been to Playa and Cancun many times. We personally prefer Playa as it is just a little further from the party scene/tourists yet close enough that you can still do any of the activities that leave from the Cancun area.

I would have a car service lined up at the airport and just take it straight to the resort, you should be fine. I'm sure there will be tons of police/military around to make the tourists feel safe. Have fun and be safe.
      Thanks. We did prepay for shuttle service and have no plans to rent a car. I've read too many local LE shakedown stories. We don't drink much but would like to partake in a few while not out on excursions. Fortunately we're not staying at an Iberostar resort, or one of the big, high-end ones either.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        Thanks. We did prepay for shuttle service and have no plans to rent a car. I've read too many local LE shakedown stories. We don't drink much but would like to partake in a few while not out on excursions. Fortunately we're not staying at an Iberostar resort, or one of the big, high-end ones either.
        Should be a great time. We go down often and have not experienced anything similar to what is described in the article (which sounds terrible, certainly).

Use common sense when venturing out of the resort zone and you'll be fine.

Comment

Wouldnt worry about it. Have fun.
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

There have now been more "bad alcohol" stories in the media and a couple of days ago the US State Department issued a travel advisory for Quintana Roo (Cancun, Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen) due to gang violence and an increased murder rate over last year in areas frequented by US citizens.

My fiance and I have decided to not to go to Cancun. I called Delta (our carrier down there) and they were willing to discount the change fee down to $127. United (our carrier back), however, couldn't have cared less and even wants to add $50 ($250 each) since we booked through Travelocity instead of directly with them. Have any of you had any success dealing with United in a situation like this?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              There have now been more "bad alcohol" stories in the media and a couple of days ago the US State Department issued a travel advisory for Quintana Roo (Cancun, Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen) due to gang violence and an increased murder rate over last year in areas frequented by US citizens.

My fiance and I have decided to not to go to Cancun. I called Delta (our carrier down there) and they were willing to discount the change fee down to $127. United (our carrier back), however, couldn't have cared less and even wants to add $50 ($250 each) since we booked through Travelocity instead of directly with them. Have any of you had any success dealing with United in a situation like this?
              United is the worst airline. Ever. And I don't say that because they dragged a guy off a plane.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                United is the worst airline. Ever. And I don't say that because they dragged a guy off a plane.
                United will get no more business from me, if I have any say.

Apparently Delta also charges an extra $50/ticket due to booking through a 3rd party (which they didn't tell me about when I called them yesterday). How illogical is that? They did less work to get my business than had I called or ordered through them. It's a racket.

Comment

These airline adventures reminded me of a time when I was in Dallas getting certified on a software package. One of our instructors apologized for not letting us in on their corporate rate at the hotel we were all staying at. They had been teadhing that class there for years and had a great corporate rate.

That led to a discussion of prices. It turns out that "great corporate rate" was about 1-1/2 times as much as any of the students had paid by booking the same hotel on the Net.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Well, I called Delta a 3rd time and they totally waved the change fee (without me asking), much to my delight. I think it's much better to get a female representative who also knows it's a honeymoon trip!

I wish Southwest would have been an option from the beginning, but at least Delta worked with us.

Comment

I hope if we need it, we can get the same service. My wife and I have a flight to Boston Friday a cruise to Montreal and a flight back to Atlanta.

Sitting in the emergence room with my daughter following a very serious seizure. She and her 3 kids live with us and the entire trip is in jeopardy. Gladly give up the trip for a heathly child.

Comment

Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                        I hope if we need it, we can get the same service. My wife and I have a flight to Boston Friday a cruise to Montreal and a flight back to Atlanta.

Sitting in the emergence room with my daughter following a very serious seizure. She and her 3 kids live with us and the entire trip is in jeopardy. Gladly give up the trip for a heathly child.
                        I truly hope everything works out, especially regarding the health of your daughter.

Comment

I too send nothing but good wishes to you and your family.

Comment

Working...
                          X