Why Tennis Pros Have Attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Tennis Pros Have Attitude

Noticed something while watching Wimbledon. Tennis is the only activity I've seen wehre the spectators applaud when a mistake is made. The Brits have dress codes for the spectators and the players.

The Brits run a very proper tournament, but hit one into the net and the polite Brits burst into applause. Double fault? The place breaks out in uproarious cheering. Concert pianists would have attitude if their audiences applauded their clunkers.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Noticed something while watching Wimbledon. Tennis is the only activity I've seen wehre the spectators applaud when a mistake is made. The Brits have dress codes for the spectators and the players.

The Brits run a very proper tournament, but hit one into the net and the polite Brits burst into applause. Double fault? The place breaks out in uproarious cheering. Concert pianists would have attitude if their audiences applauded their clunkers.
    Plenty of folks clap when an opposing player misses a free throw.

Comment

Missed field goals and penalties in football
      Errors in baseball
      Traveling in basketball
      78-65

Comment

When a waiter drops a glass.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          When a waiter drops a glass.
          The rest that have been mentioned all had a "home field" factor. A waiter dropping a glass doesn't, so it's a great response. A lot of waiters have some attitude.

Comment

I wish tennis had a student section. Trying to distract during a serve. Yelling chants at the opposing players. Jumping up and down, yelling during a game or match point. Throw up confetti for an ace. Would really spice up the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
              I wish tennis had a student section. Trying to distract during a serve. Yelling chants at the opposing players. Jumping up and down, yelling during a game or match point. Throw up confetti for an ace. Would really spice up the sport.
              At least one college (in Texas, I think) experimented with that last spring.

Pro tennis is like golf, with a mix of team-sport etiquette (or lack of). There is rarely a "home court" unless a native is playing. Fans can root for their favorite player (or whoever they end up pulling for), even if that means cheering an unforced error or double-fault by the opponent.

In youth tennis - particularly school-sponsored - you absolutely do not cheer or applaud an opponent's mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                At least one college (in Texas, I think) experimented with that last spring.

Pro tennis is like golf, with a mix of team-sport etiquette (or lack of). There is rarely a "home court" unless a native is playing. Fans can root for their favorite player (or whoever they end up pulling for), even if that means cheering an unforced error or double-fault by the opponent.

In youth tennis - particularly school-sponsored - you absolutely do not cheer or applaud an opponent's mistake.
                Lol wow I didn't realize a Texas college actually tried this. And I'm very familiar with tennis. I played in high school and I do enjoy watching the majors like Wimbledon. Was just thinking about how silly, but awesome it would be to have a "student section" in various sports that obviously would not have them otherwise.

Comment

A student section in golf could be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    A student section in golf could be interesting.
                    78-65

Comment

It was TCU in 2015 taking advantage of a new Big 12 rule allowing noise during points.

TCU’s tennis teams have seen a rise in student attendance and involvement this season. A new Big 12 rule allows fans to make noise during points of conference matches. TCU sophomore Ryan Dykstra and Jordan Sheppard took advantage of the new rule and formed a student section called “Purple Reign,” specifically for tennis matches. Dykstra...

Comment

Working...
                      X