Tower of Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower of Power

The long-time funk/soul/R&B band is playing in Wichita next month. Yesterday I bought tickets for a group of us to attend. Then last night two of their members were hit by a train before a gig in the band's hometown of Oakland.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tower-of-power-train-accident/

NM
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Wow, Sorry @RoyalShock: I only now read your post and link. I am sorry for posting a whimsical response. It has been removed. My deepest sympathies to those affected. I hope they are able to make a full recovery.
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        The long-time funk/soul/R&B band is playing in Wichita next month. Yesterday I bought tickets for a group of us to attend. Then last night two of their members were hit by a train before a gig in the band's hometown of Oakland.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tower-of-power-train-accident/
        Saw TOP at the Orpheum a couple years back... OUTSTANDING performance. Wasn't sold out or anything but man could they still perform & sound great. Terrible news, just moved to SW KS or I woulda been purchasing tickets again.
        Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
          Wow, Sorry @RoyalShock I only now read your post and link. I am sorry for posting a whimsical response. It has been removed. My deepest sympathies to those affected. I hope they are able to make a full recovery.
          I never saw the whimsical response, so let's say it never happened. :encouragement:

Comment

Originally posted by small tyme baller View Post
            Saw TOP at the Orpheum a couple years back... OUTSTANDING performance. Wasn't sold out or anything but man could they still perform & sound great. Terrible news, just moved to SW KS or I woulda been purchasing tickets again.
            I didn't go to that one and regretted it. There are/were a few artists on my list that I wanted to see live. I already saw Spyro Gyra and David Sanborn. ToP is the last one left. I hope those guys fully recover. I also hope the band is able to find replacements soon enough not to have to cancel a bunch more concert dates.

Comment

most importantly.. why is rocco prestia not playing bass for them? who would want to see top without rocco prestia?

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                most importantly.. why is rocco prestia not playing bass for them? who would want to see top without rocco prestia?
                The bass player who was hurt is a fill-in, but I'm not sure for how long he was supposed to fill in. Prestia is still listed on their website as the bass player. He was preparing for a kidney transplant in 2014, so maybe it's related to that?

Besides, I'm a sax player, so it's Doc Kupka and Emilio Castillo I'm most interested in seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                  Rocco played. They brought in a drummer who had toured with them before, but I don't recall his name. The fill-in bass player who was hit by the train is still in ICU.

Great concert. My girlfriend enjoyed it more than she thought (had never heard of them before), and my 16 year-old son might have been the youngest one there. He actually told me about the concert and listens to ToP. We were both disappointed they didn't play Soul With a Capital 'S'.

Comment

The very first concert I attended was opened by TOP. August, 1971, Century II Convention Center. Credence Clearwater Revival, Bo Diddley, and TOP. Ticket cost me $6 at the door.
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

@RoyalShock: Don't know if you have heard these guys before but as a sax player you should be able to appreciate them.We should probably start a horn thread but this seemed like a good place to put this for now.

People ask me all the time to name my favorite Tiny Desk Concert. It's my desk and I've seen almost all of the nearly 400 concerts up close. So you'd think t...

Also, the wife and I inadvertintly followed Spyro Gyra across the US one summer. Saw them in Wichita, KC, St Louis and Philadelphia. They just happened to be whereever we ended up over a course of 3-4 months. Don't remember the year but it was back when Oscar Cartaya was playing bass with them.
                      One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                        @RoyalShock Don't know if you have heard these guys before but as a sax player you should be able to appreciate them.We should probably start a horn thread but this seemed like a good place to put this for now.

People ask me all the time to name my favorite Tiny Desk Concert. It's my desk and I've seen almost all of the nearly 400 concerts up close. So you'd think t...

Also, the wife and I inadvertintly followed Spyro Gyra across the US one summer. Saw them in Wichita, KC, St Louis and Philadelphia. They just happened to be whereever we ended up over a course of 3-4 months. Don't remember the year but it was back when Oscar Cartaya was playing bass with them.
                        Whoa, those guys sound a bit like a group called Naked City in the 90s. Very avante garde. They're different! Thanks for sharing.

I'm thinking Spyro Gyra's Oscar Cartaya years were late 80s into the early 90s. I only saw them once (KC, Jazz in the Woods, early 2000s), but have listened to them since around 87 and have 12-15 of their CDs. One of my favs.

Comment

I think you are late on the years. My son was born in '76 and he would have been elementery school age. I saw Paquito D'rivera and The Rippingtons during that same summer.
                          One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                            I think you are late on the years. My son was born in '76 and he would have been elementery school age. I saw Paquito D'rivera and The Rippingtons during that same summer.
                            I had looked it up on Wikipedia:

1988's Rites of Summer was the band's first without a percussionist, other than the drummer. It was also the introduction of bassist Oscar Cartaya.
                            Rippingtons, another good one.

Comment

Hell. I misremember a lot anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X