One question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One question

How do they do it? I mean, I'm not some fanboy or anything. I hate a lot of what they do, and they aren't all that convenient, but how does Costco have the best darned milk ever? It's in a weird jug and all, but man that stuff is tasty!
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      How do they do it? I mean, I'm not some fanboy or anything. I hate a lot of what they do, and they aren't all that convenient, but how does Costco have the best darned milk ever? It's in a weird jug and all, but man that stuff is tasty!
      It is tasty. But do you know why it's in the weird jug?
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
        It is tasty. But do you know why it's in the weird jug?
        Supposedly to reduce space, production costs and be more enviromentally friendly. That said, I don't care. I've been going out of my way to buy that stuff for several years. They finally built a Costco closer to where I live and I just got back from a trip to Costco to only buy milk. As I was sitting here,I just thought, "I used to drive over 10 miles for milk, isn't driving only four great!" I then decided to ask the question.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Guy there told us that it saves them millions of dollars in shipping because the square tops allow them to stack higher without concern for them falling over.
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

"We bought several half gallons of the Organic 1% milk from Costco Fairfax last weekend and it has a really funny taste. I've opened two separate containers and both have a faint taste of cleaning solution. They had the safety deal on and we've never had any issue before. Any clue? Had anyone else had an issue with the Costco milk?"

Hmmmm... must have improved since 2007. :)

"Our local Costco is 10 miles one way, but I make the trip 2x week for the savings. The savings are especially significant on milk--about $1.30 a gallon less than local groceries.

However, lately the milk has had an off taste to it. Two gallons actually went bad and I poured them out, but in general there's something "funny" about the milk, a sort of flatness to it, like it lacks something. Also, I had two gallong today that had a funny texture, kind of like they were frozen, then thawed.

I'm saving 7 gallon jugs to take back tomorrow. I might reconsider buying milk there at all if its consistently bad. Since I mainly go there for savings on milk, perhaps I might look at cancelling my membership? I think you get a prorated refund. A 20-mile round trip 2x week is a lot for spoiled milk!"

Our local Costco is 10 miles one way, but I make the trip 2x week for the savings. The savings are especially significant on milk--about $1.30 a gallon less than local groceries. However, lately the milk has had an off taste to it. Two gallons actually went bad and I poured them out, but...

Who would have thunk it; I'm googlin' Costco milk.

Last edited by WstateU; December 2, 2016, 03:38 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb-ass!
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I've never experienced anything but milktopia from Costco. Freaking milk bliss!

Yeah, the milk's a lot cheaper, but I'd pay full price.

Comment

Comment

I wonder if they do like Braum's milk, which is our only milk we buy. They remove 1/3 of the water from their low fat and skim milk and as acresult it tastes much richer.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I thought that was the way you got low fat milk...add water to whole milk.

Comment

You should try the Costco Kirkland Ice Cream too. It only comes in vanilla, and it is actually not cheap, but we think it's fantastic, as do a lot of ice cream review sites. It's high in "butterfat" which sounds weird and unappetizing, but is a common ingredient in ice creams that are rich in flavor and creamy in texture. It's ruined me for the normal stuff at the grocery store (even the name brands) which now all comparatively taste and feel more like ice milk, and are all whipped full of air.

The closest comparable to the Kirkland ice cream is Blue Bell, a unique, high-end brand which is no longer available in Kansas, and I don't think ever was in Nebraska.

Advertisement For as far back as I can remember, I have been thrifty. Some would say ‘cheap,’ and I have no problem with that word. But all through the years, I have had a mantra: There is one thing in life on which I will not compromise and that’s ice cream. I have an affinity […]

Did you know ice cream has been around since at least the 18th century? It has. And today, the ice cream industry is bigger than ever, churning out hundreds of flavors each year. In case you’re wondering, the four most popular ice cream flavors are, in order: vanilla, chocolate, cookies & cream, and mint chocolate […]
                      Last edited by SHOCKvalue; December 4, 2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        You should try the Costco Kirkland Ice Cream too. It only comes in vanilla, and it is actually not cheap, but we think it's fantastic, as do a lot of ice cream review sites. It's high in "butterfat" which sounds weird and unappetizing, but is a common ingredient in ice creams that are rich in flavor and creamy in texture. It's ruined me for the normal stuff at the grocery store (even the name brands) which now all comparatively taste and feel more like ice milk, and are all whipped full of air.

The closest comparable to the Kirkland ice cream is Blue Bell, a unique, high-end brand which is no longer available in Kansas, and I don't think ever was in Nebraska.

Advertisement For as far back as I can remember, I have been thrifty. Some would say ‘cheap,’ and I have no problem with that word. But all through the years, I have had a mantra: There is one thing in life on which I will not compromise and that’s ice cream. I have an affinity […]

http://lenpenzo.com/blog/id20387-my-...overrated.html
                        I guess the icecream is on the next Costco run!

By the way, does anyone know why Costco has this awesome beer cave and they ruin it by stocking it full of vegetables?

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                          I guess the icecream is on the next Costco run!

By the way, does anyone know why Costco has this awesome beer cave and they ruin it by stocking it full of vegetables?
                          We wouldn't know anything about buying alcohol at warehouse stores in Kansas. Crony capitalists in Topeka have seen fit to remain status quo on the government gift of monopoly to the liquor stores. "Small government", "free market" Kansas and all.

Do try the Kirkland ice cream though, for realz. $11 for two true half gallons.

Comment

What does Costco do with all the extra liquor space? That's like a huge corner of the store, here. Maybe you guys get extra rows of organic trail mix?

Comment

There is no grape jelly in either of the Omaha Costco's. Maybe if we gave up the liquor, they could sell us some of their organic grape jelly.

Comment

Working...
                              X