"In Loving Memory"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "In Loving Memory"

Can anyone out there help me understand why people feel compelled to put a memorial to someone on the back window of their automobile?

I don't quite get it.
    Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Different cultures, different religions, and different ethnic groups have unique traditions in a lot of areas.

You don't have to get it. In a culturally diverse society, there are many things I don't understand, but I accept them. My heritage is from central Europe - I don't get Sushi, but that doesn't mean it isn't OK for those that do.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Re: "In Loving Memory"

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
      Can anyone out there help me understand why people feel compelled to put a memorial to someone on the back window of their automobile?

I don't quite get it.
      I don't know for sure......But I think it means they are dead

Comment

I don't know for sure......But I think it means they are dead
        No kidding.

I understand that they are dead.

Both of my parents are dead, I do not have a memorial for them on the back windshield of my car.

Comment

This is America (for a little bit longer) they can do what they want to.......Except put it on the front windshield because that's against the law....LOL

Comment

I have one on my car.

It is for my little brother who committed suicide a couple of years ago.

My parents actually owned the car *still do* and I myself think the said memorial is cheesy but with respect to my parents I have left it on even though they have told me I can remove it.

Comment

I have seen these, too and thought they were odd. It does seem as though the one being memorialized is a young person. I suppose some feel they are honoring the deceased and perhaps it aids them in the mourning process.

I've also thought that laying a memorial at the location of a crash site was strange.

I've never lost a close family member that was young, so I just assume that it is something I can't relate to.

Comment

I always thought the memorials on the side of the road were odd until a friend of mine died in a car accident. Personally, I've never actually stopped there but it is a reminder of what can happen and how precious life is. Every time I drive by I remember him and think about things and my life and say a little prayer.

Although I don't need a physical reminder anymore. Just passing that section I seem to know/remember it.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I don't quite get it.
                  Try losing a close friend/family member well before their time and get back with me.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Try losing a close friend/family member well before their time and get back with me.
                    So going “before your time” is the criteria for publication on the back windshield of a car?

I always thought that when you went it was your time, no matter what the age.

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

So going “before your time” is the criteria for publication on the back windshield of a car?

I always thought that when you went it was your time, no matter what the age.

Thanks for the clarification.
                      Yeah, I "always" look at obituaries and think that a 16 year old passing away is the same as a 90 year old with respect to "it being their time." It may be true to God but I just have a hard time with that.

I see no problem with the "In Loving Memory" stickers being put on cars. While I have not done so and probably would not, but why does it bother you so much? Where I usually see it is for a young person to lose a friend at a young age. I have more of a problem with people sticking all sorts of political and opinion bumper stickers all over their cars. Still, to each their own.

Comment

but why does it bother you so much?
                        It does not bother me one bit, I just find it strange.

Comment

Shirley isnt your saying from Mark Twain ?
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Shirley isnt your saying from Mark Twain
                            Yes, most of it, I added the Winston Brooks reference.

Comment

I don't quite get it.
                              Do you have one for Elmo?

Comment

Working...
                              X