WSU Greek Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Greek Life

For those that were Greek at WSU (and I have sat next to you and talked to you several times) or who were Greek at other schools and then transferred to WSU I am curious of your opinion of Greek life future at WSU. With President Bardo's dream of being a more traditional university I am just curious of opinions on this matter.

If any Theta Phi Chapter search this forum PLEASE DM me.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Not a WSU Greek but...

Greek life is incredibly important to a school. It brings so much life to a campus and brings alumni back for more than just sports. It keeps actives involved in classes and helps develop young adults into functioning and contributing members of society. If I could go back in time and redo my college career, the only thing I would change would be go straight to the university I went to so I could have had 4 years as an active instead of 2. My best friends, people that would do anything for me and I for them, are brothers in my fraternity. I am convinced that the single best thing a freshman can do is find a good fraternity to join.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
      Not a WSU Greek but...

Greek life is incredibly important to a school. It brings so much life to a campus and brings alumni back for more than just sports. It keeps actives involved in classes and helps develop young adults into functioning and contributing members of society. If I could go back in time and redo my college career, the only thing I would change would be go straight to the university I went to so I could have had 4 years as an active instead of 2. My best friends, people that would do anything for me and I for them, are brothers in my fraternity. I am convinced that the single best thing a freshman can do is find a good fraternity to join.
      Agreed, I joined (became the Founding Father President) my respective Fraternity and my life changed in immeasurable ways.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

I was a traditional student at WSU and being a member of a fraternity was such a help in learning many life lessons. I came from a small town and the house had as many members as my graduating class. (Membership was at an all time high) WSU's attendance was larger than KSU at the time, but being involved in Greek life created a smaller school atmosphere. At parties and events, you got to know many people over 4 years because you competed in philanthropic events and school related activities for four years. The connections inside the house never leave. My facebook is probably 33% other members of my fraternity, many I have not seen face to face for years. The drive to expand the university would naturally include a Greek expansion, hopefully in a measured and beneficial way.
        Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Well, crap. I chose to go Roman instead, and it was pretty lonely.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Often times I wish I would've joined a fraternity while I was in college, although I'd never admit that to my friends who were in those fraternities. I do think it makes a difference where you are and what fraternity you join, but overall, I think it would've been a very positive experience.
            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Like most things in life (not all, but most) the people you surround yourself with are likely going to have some influence.

This of course works both ways.

Being a member of a fraternity significantly assisted me in my social growth. Growth I believe would have been next to impossible without the fraternity. I met some amazing people, a few I'm still friends with, a few I'm not, but many I could reach out to for almost anything were I to need it.

There are also some brothers who have failed at life, partly because of the life they led in the fraternity house.

Is it a positive experience? I believe, for the vast majority, yes. I believe it's key to a strong student body. I would encourage any student to at least look into the Greek system. Challenge your prejudices if you have them.

Comment

Not only do I have the brotherhood network of generations and all of the traditions that go with my fraternity but also its connection to past & current campus traditions. Traditions such as the "Battle of the Keg" (the annual football game between the DUs & Betas) to the "Vassar Cup" (a round robin soccer tournament between the DUs, Sig Eps, & Phi Delts), and the campus tradition of Hippodrome to only name a few.

I also have friends from other houses, several of whom I still associate with both personally and professionally. My favorite "Greek" recollection is adjourning an Inter-fraternity Council (IFC) meeting to the Union Station Pub (formerly located in the basement of the CAC, err, RSC) for zaa & beer during a tornado warning. I am dating myself, where beer and campus functions were not such a no-no.

All in all, I would recommend Greek life, especially if you are searching for a more "traditional" campus feel. When I was on campus in the early 90's, I seem to recall the figure of "on-campus" traditional students, which included residence halls, Greek and BSU (Black Student Union) was 2500-2600 students. We truly knew most everyone within this crowd regardless of fraternity. I imagine it is still the same today.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I forgot about the Vassar Cup......way ahead of it's time!

Comment

My fraternity experience literally kept me in school. My family went through some major issues at the beginning of my freshman year, and had it not been for my fraternity brothers, there is no way I would have made it through school.

From the intramurals, to random road trips, to all the on-campus involvement, the Greek system gives many opportunities that many students don't even realize are there.

My time at WSU was great. I really wish everyone would at least look into it. But preconceived notions of the Greek system run strong. I hope that changes some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Well, crap. I chose to go Roman instead, and it was pretty lonely.

"Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                      X