2016 MLB Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 MLB Playoffs

A little late, but thought it might be fun to have a thread as the World Series approaches.

I am a lifelong Dodgers fan and am having a blast this postseason. It is a little weird knowing 90% of America is rooting against us at the moment though.

I am rooting against both the Dodgers and the Cubs, if it makes you feel any better.

Comment

My wife is a Cardinals fan who obviously hates the Cubs and also disliked that the Dodgers basically laid down in the last regular season series against San Francisco, which kept St. Louis from having a chance to make a comeback in the standings.

I, on the the other hand, am enjoying this series. I am not necessarily a rabid fan of either team but will root for both teams, so I am good with however this series turns out.
      78-65

Comment

I just want Joey Bats to get drilled. Repeatedly.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Cleveland has looked ridiculously good so far.

Comment

Toronto is the whiniest collection of players I've ever seen on one MLB team. Glad they are getting it handed to them.

Also, if I was a pitcher I would pimp the **** out of every strikeout I had of Bautista. Just do a little dance right there on the mound. Fair being fair and all.

Comment

Rich Hill did a nice Bert Blyleven imitation tonight.

Comment

Bye bye Toronto, you classless group of jackwads. So glad to see them go. Now if the Cubs can finish game 4 off without blowing a huge lead and win a best 2 out of 3 series from there, we'll have one hell of a WS.

Comment

Is it true that the Indians delivered 5 cases of Miller High Life to the BlueJays locker room after their clinching win?

Comment

Cub/Indian World Series. Who woulda thunk?
                    Last edited by wusphlash; October 22, 2016, 09:59 PM.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Grown men cried. Strangers hugged. Nobody wanted to leave. Why? The Chicago Cubs are FINALLY going to the promised land. And the moment transcended baseball.

Growing up in the Chicago area, skipping school to sit in the bleachers, watching guys like Bump Wills bumble on the field, and seeing 1984 slip away, as the MLB stole home field advantage, and a pennent, simply because Wrigley didn't have lights, I thought this day might never happen.

The Indians might beat the Cubs in the World Series, they might. I can live with that. Growing up, I was instructed about the curse. I knew it, I understood it, I believed it. Last night, the curse was lifted. I hugged my wife, I screamed, I teared up. I haven't slept yet.

I know winning the World Series is a crap shoot, but it doesn't matter. I witnessed something my Dad only witnessed once, when he was a kid. I witnessed someting that, sadly, many Cubs fans never did. I will savor the ride. The Cubs might win the World Series, they finally made it. They may lose the World Series, too, it's a crap shoot. But this year, this crap shoot, Cubs fans can't lose, we're playing with house money!
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                        http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page...-night-wrigley

Growing up in the Chicago area, skipping school to sit in the bleachers, watching guys like Bump Wills bumble on the field, and seeing 1984 slip away, as the MLB stole home field advantage, and a pennent, simply because Wrigley didn't have lights, I thought this day might never happen.

The Indians might beat the Cubs in the World Series, they might. I can live with that. Growing up, I was instructed about the curse. I knew it, I understood it, I believed it. Last night, the curse was lifted. I hugged my wife, I screamed, I teared up. I haven't slept yet.

I know winning the World Series is a crap shoot, but it doesn't matter. I witnessed something my Dad only witnessed once, when he was a kid. I witnessed someting that, sadly, many Cubs fans never did. I will savor the ride. The Cubs might win the World Series, they finally made it. They may lose the World Series, too, it's a crap shoot. But this year, this crap shoot, Cubs fans can't lose, we're playing with house money!
                        As much as I despise the Cubs, I am happy for you and the long suffering, yet true fans of the Chicago Cubs. I am definitely pulling for Cleveland but I sincerely hope that you enjoy the World Series.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                          As much as I despise the Cubs, I am happy for you and the long suffering, yet true fans of the Chicago Cubs. I am definitely pulling for Cleveland but I sincerely hope that you enjoy the World Series.
                          No you don't. You're a Cards fan. If you are a true Cards fan, you loathe the Cubs. You would sooner die than see the Cubs win, ever. And when the Cubs knocked the division winning Cards out of the playoffs last year, if you are a true Cards fan, that ended any possibiity of empathy for decades. And when the Cubs dismantled the cards, game after game this year, your hatred should have been cemented. There is no way you can wish well for the "true fans."

I can live with all of the hate, I grew up in it. I respect that animosity. What you typed either means you aren't a fan, just a casual observer, or you're full of ****.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I can live with all of the hate, I grew up in it. I respect that animosity. What you typed either means you aren't a fan, just a casual observer, or you're full of ****.
                            Growing up, Cards baseball was #1. I could name all the regulars on each St. Louis team that won the pennant in fact. But now I care more about college sports than the Cardinals. Maybe I am tilting more casual observer but that doesn't seem right. I don't know.

I am definitely not rooting for the Cubs. But should they win I know enough long suffering Cubs fans that I can take some solace in the fact that they are happy. And getting Steve Bartman off the hook is a nice thing too. Even if I hate Chicagoans as a general rule.

Comment

No you don't. You're a Cards fan. If you are a true Cards fan, you loathe the Cubs. You would sooner die than see the Cubs win, ever. And when the Cubs knocked the division winning Cards out of the playoffs last year, if you are a true Cards fan, that ended any possibiity of empathy for decades. And when the Cubs dismantled the cards, game after game this year, your hatred should have been cemented. There is no way you can wish well for the "true fans."

The Cubs going 10-9 for the regular season against the Cards is hardly a dismantling. I blame the Cards for not getting into the playoffs this year as they did nothing to improve themselves by adding Jedd Gyorko and Mike Leake (although they were smart enough not to sign Heyward for big money). I'm surprised we did as well as we did, particularly with all the injuries.

As for the playoffs last year, a fully healthy Wainwright might have changed that or the Cards not beating themselves (Peralta and Holliday going 3-23 over the last 3 games vs Solar (who?)for the Cubs going 4-4, a double, 2 HRs, 4 RBIs, and 4 walks in games 2 and 3).

I'm a life long Cardinals fan, through thick and thin, but, frankly, I never considered the Cubs as a rival or a team to loathe. Why?!? It's not like they were a threat for some 60+ years until recently (think of it as how the MSU Bears/Shockers look at each other with one thinking it's a rivalry, the other not). As a baseball fan, how could you not like Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Fergie Jenkins, and Ryne Sandberg. I didn't even cared about the Cubs having Harry Caray as a broadcaster. After all, the Cards did fire him after 25 years and he'd been at Oakland for 1 year and the White Sox for 11 before going to the Cubs for 16 years. We also still had Jack Buck.

While I may not root for the Cubs in the WS, it has more to do with the Indians. I've always had a soft spot for the Indians after the movie Major League. Oh, and guess what. Cleveland is in the same division as the Royals (my second favorite team).

Comment

Working...
                              X