Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally leaving Facebook

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Finally leaving Facebook

    I'm probably way late in leaving FB but goodness, I'm literally losing friends over politics, social issues, etc. I'll freely admit to being a social media addict and it's become toxic. My goal is to read more book-- less posts. :-) Go Shox. (I'm still using Twitter because I do like the immediacy of getting news) I will be a better person for leaving FB, right?

  • #2
    Sounds like a Southpark episode
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

    Comment


    • #3
      Facebook is a place where I read about my cousins and friends lives and see fun pics...but only occasionally. A very gay friend of mine from college loves to post crazy liberal stuff and I made a funny conservative comment. He engaged me in conversation, but so did about 10 of his angry FB friends. I simply said FB isn't a place for this type of reactionary conversation and wished them well. That's the best way to handle things with friends IMO.
      Livin the dream

      Comment


      • #4
        In RL, people seldom get into discussions of religion or politics in face-to-face conversations. On FB, religion and politics tend to be the main topics of a lot of people who would never do that in face-to-face conversations.

        I came up with a simple solution. I unfriended anybody who posted stupid political messages - like memes of "Hillary Kills Babies". I'm willing to get into political convwersations and discussions, but there are a lot of posts where the tone of the post indicates there is no intention of creating a discussion or conversation.

        I had some incredibly uninformed Conservative friends who would share anything that was radically and stupidly degrading to anything that didn't fit their ideas. I'm still friends with the most radical of my Conservative friends. They don't post stupid stuff, they either do fact-checking or preface their comments as opinions. I can handle that.

        I would be best-described in the current political climate as a moderate independent. Unlike MoValley's experience, I found that my "liberal" friends were more open to contrary opinions and my "conservative" (former) friends tended to go for shock value by posting some incredibly inaccurate, but provocative memes.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          In RL, people seldom get into discussions of religion or politics in face-to-face conversations. On FB, religion and politics tend to be the main topics of a lot of people who would never do that in face-to-face conversations.

          I came up with a simple solution. I unfriended anybody who posted stupid political messages - like memes of "Hillary Kills Babies". I'm willing to get into political convwersations and discussions, but there are a lot of posts where the tone of the post indicates there is no intention of creating a discussion or conversation.

          I had some incredibly uninformed Conservative friends who would share anything that was radically and stupidly degrading to anything that didn't fit their ideas. I'm still friends with the most radical of my Conservative friends. They don't post stupid stuff, they either do fact-checking or preface their comments as opinions. I can handle that.

          I would be best-described in the current political climate as a moderate independent. Unlike MoValley's experience, I found that my "liberal" friends were more open to contrary opinions and my "conservative" (former) friends tended to go for shock value by posting some incredibly inaccurate, but provocative memes.
          "I would be best-described in the current political climate as a moderate independent." Your giving moderate independents a bad name. :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            In RL, people seldom get into discussions of religion or politics in face-to-face conversations. On FB, religion and politics tend to be the main topics of a lot of people who would never do that in face-to-face conversations.

            I came up with a simple solution. I unfriended anybody who posted stupid political messages - like memes of "Hillary Kills Babies". I'm willing to get into political convwersations and discussions, but there are a lot of posts where the tone of the post indicates there is no intention of creating a discussion or conversation.

            I had some incredibly uninformed Conservative friends who would share anything that was radically and stupidly degrading to anything that didn't fit their ideas. I'm still friends with the most radical of my Conservative friends. They don't post stupid stuff, they either do fact-checking or preface their comments as opinions. I can handle that.

            I would be best-described in the current political climate as a moderate independent. Unlike MoValley's experience, I found that my "liberal" friends were more open to contrary opinions and my "conservative" (former) friends tended to go for shock value by posting some incredibly inaccurate, but provocative memes.
            I have some incredibly uninformed liberal friends who will share and spread anything negative they can about "Drumpf". Really, that kind of name calling is sophomoric at best (from both sides). Most of my conservative friends know and admit that both candidates are trash and are voting elsewhere. Most of my liberal friends are unable to acknowledge that Hillary is also trash, and even the ones that can admit it are voting for her anyway, because she's "one of us" in their words.
            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

            Comment


            • #7
              Friends don't let friends have liberal friends.

              :)

              I had very few liberal-leaning fb friends (two, actually), both being acquaintances from high school. I had to unfriend one years ago because she was the angry, militant, guano-crazy cat-lady type who couldn't have a civil political discussion. I just saw the other day where she attacked another high school classmate. It's no wonder she's still single. The other one can engage in civil political discussion, so she stays as a friend. I have other fb friends who are probably left-leaning moderates, but who can fall on either side of a given issue. There's a good chance they are public school teachers, staff or administrators.

              That said, I think there's an equal number of emotional, uninformed reactionaries on both sides. You can identify them easily and quickly, as they are unable to refer to a politico on the other side by their given name. I had to unfollow my brother-in-law because he posted all the crazy Obama conspiracy crap.

              Comment


              • #8
                I guess I'm an alien... I'm sure most of you already assumed that. :)

                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

                Comment


                • #9
                  The most common political stuff that pops up in my feed is pro-Gary Johnson content. Guess I have chosen my friends well, but then again I only have a couple hundred FB "friends", most of which are actually real-life friends and acquaintances.
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.
                  - Ernest Hemingway

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I thought I was going to vote Johnson, until he started to appear to have been smoking a little too much of the whacky tobacky. :)
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                      I thought I was going to vote Johnson, until he started to appear to have been smoking a little too much of the whacky tobacky. :)
                      Johnson, did somebody say johnson?

                      Last edited by Kung Wu; July 31, 2020, 04:03 PM.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have Facebook to basically keep up with relatives and friends with respect to their lives. I do not want nor do I usually respond to far left or right posts and am unsure why some feel the need to post such drivel. Do they not notice that very few "like" their posts? However if you click on the small arrow in the top right corner you can choose to not see posts like that from that person without unfollowing them.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dang, the spammers are really trying hard these days. Grrr.
                          Auf geht's Shockers, Shieß on tooor!
                          Sheiß on tOOOOr ...
                          Sheiß on toooOOOOoooor!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Dang, the spammers are really trying hard these days. Grrr.
                            Yes they are! I gotten a few just in the last 48 hrs. All if them had foriegn names. What was most surprising was that the post they posted on my Newsfeed fell in a category that I am interested in. Like a favorite band...or favorite team or what I was shopping for earlier that day, etc. Bunch of robotic bullshitters they are. Also...how did they "friend" me because my settings is set private and I did NOT friend them. Bastards!!!
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

                            NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

                            NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

                            AP Poll History of Wichita State:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

                            Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

                            Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

                              Yes they are! I gotten a few just in the last 48 hrs. All if them had foriegn names. What was most surprising was that the post they posted on my Newsfeed fell in a category that I am interested in. Like a favorite band...or favorite team or what I was shopping for earlier that day, etc. Bunch of robotic bullshitters they are. Also...how did they "friend" me because my settings is set private and I did NOT friend them. Bastards!!!
                              Let's round up a posse ... I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, horn-swagglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh*t-kickers and Methodists.
                              Auf geht's Shockers, Shieß on tooor!
                              Sheiß on tOOOOr ...
                              Sheiß on toooOOOOoooor!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X