Wimbledon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wimbledon

The 10th rain delay of the tournament suspended Venus Williams' match right before match point. When play resumed she lost that game to make it 7-7 in the 3rd set. She is now up 8-7 with her opponent serving.

Video of play being stopped

Now 8-8.

As a side note, this is the oldest player in the tournament against the youngest remaining player in the tournament.
    Last edited by RoyalShock; July 1, 2016, 12:32 PM.

Venus pulled it out, 7-5, 4-6, 10-8.

Comment

And now Serena is down a break, 0-2, in the 3rd set with fellow American, Christina McHale.

Comment

Serena has at least 3 shots that the rest of women's tennis (all time) is not familiar with.

Christina has played a terrific match, but when Serena gets irritated, like she is now, she's about impossible to beat.

And just like that, GUTTY hold for McHale. Serena serves at 3-4 now. Christina made several mistakes serving to Serena's forehand but Serena helped her out with a couple of unforced errors.

Comment

I wish I wasn't at work today and could watch. Djokovic is getting a challenge from American, Sam Querrey. 1st set is in a tie-break.

Comment

Novak lost the first set and is now is down a break in the 2nd. Nothing against him, but . . . USA! USA! USA!

Edit: Now Querrey is up 2 breaks, 5-1.

Edit: Querrey leads 2 sets to 0.
            Last edited by RoyalShock; July 1, 2016, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Sam battled hard today and held off the world's #1 and one of the very best of all time (12 Grand Slam titles is tied for 4th all time) in 4 tough sets.

Novak certainly didn't have his A game...maybe not even his B game, but give Sam credit for taking out a great champion.

Comment

Dating back to 1993, of the last 90 Grand Slam titles. FIFTY SEVEN have been won by Roger Federer, Pete Sampras, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. 57.

Comment

Quick, name the 4 men to win Wimbledon since 1993 NOT named Sampras, Nadal, Federer or Djokovic.

Comment

The answers are, of course:

1996 Richard Krajicek of The Netherlands, 2001 huge serving Goran Ivanisevic of Croatia, 2002 Lleyton Hewitt of Australia & 2012 Andy Murray of Great Britain.

Comment

TIL Doc loves him some tennis. ShockerNet, not so much.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I haven't been able to watch any yet this weekend. That Isner match looked like a marathon. 19-17 in the 5th set. That's the equivalent of playing 7 sets.

Comment

Was Bo Jackson the inspiration for this?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            The answers are, of course:

1996 Richard Krajicek of The Netherlands, 2001 huge serving Goran Ivanisevic of Croatia, 2002 Lleyton Hewitt of Australia & 2012 Andy Murray of Great Britain.
                            I got Murray and Hewitt. I also guessed Agassi. I looked it up, and that's wild that his first Grand Slam was Wimbledon in 92, and then he never won it again.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                              I got Murray and Hewitt. I also guessed Agassi. I looked it up, and that's wild that his first Grand Slam was Wimbledon in 92, and then he never won it again.
                              Equipment and technology have taken away the serve and volley advantage, especially on grass, that used to be so prevalent in the men's game.

I think if Agassi were here today, he'd be wildly successful, but for him, in the 80s and 90s, to win even 1 Wimbledon is kind of amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X