Wichita Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita Eagle

Reads as if the Eagle is moving all print and packaging to KC. Eagle would rather invest in KC than their own hometown. On Monday, for he first time in 144 years, the Eagle's Wichita printing presses will permanently shut down.

I couldn't care less about KC. Though I live out of town, and print delivery is not an option in providing me real-time news, I will seriously consider cancelling my digital subscription to the Eagle.

Unfortunately, it is only the beginning.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

A business makes a business minded move in order to maintain some level of profitability

nothing to see here

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
        Reads as if the Eagle is moving all print and packaging to KC. Eagle would rather invest in KC than their own hometown. On Monday, for he first time in 144 years, the Eagle's Wichita printing presses will permanently shut down.

I couldn't care less about KC. Though I live out of town, and print delivery is not an option in providing me real-time news, I will seriously consider cancelling my digital subscription to the Eagle.
        Same owners. Will save money. i cancelled 3 weeks ago when they quit printing box scores.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
          A business makes a business minded move in order to maintain some level of profitability

nothing to see here
          Wrong. For 144 years, they've been able to maintain their printing operation in Wichita. The Eagle owners consolidate operations in order to squeeze every last cent out of the operation. Will you feel the same when all of the news reporters and sports reporters/reporting is done out of KC? Do the owners really give a **** about Wichita? No.

The only thing in which there is nothing to see is your myopic post.

Comment

Wrong. For 144 years, they've been able to maintain their printing operation in Wichita. Owners consolidate operations in order to squeeze every last cent out of the operation. Will you feel the same when all of the news reporters and sports reporters/reporting is done out of KC? Do the owners really give a **** about Wichita? No.

The only thing in which there is nothing to see is your myopic post.
            I sense butthurt. much like your talk on WSU baseball - you wont do anything about it except go on endless message boards rants about how pissed off you are.

Comment

Reporting by the Eagle will continue to be done out of Wichita. The Eagle will move to a smaller space and basically be an "office" operation transmitting their stories to presses in KC that are probably more efficient than the Eagle has or can afford to acquire.

Print media is in the process of becoming extinct. The cost of publishing on the Net is miniscule compared to publishing on paper. I don't know if it's possible to generate the advertising revenue on the Net that sustained newpapers when they were pretty much the only game in town. Print media was slow to adapt to paperless and lost their position as the primary suppliesr of advertising to the communities they served.

The real question now is whether there will anything that emerges (if traditional print media outlets disappear) that will provide in depth coverage of local news and sports. TV coverage is something less than "in depth".
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I sense butthurt. much like your talk on WSU baseball - you wont do anything about it except go on endless message boards rants about how pissed off you are.
                A little defensive aren't you. I gave a logical retort based on your myopic post. I suppose your defensive response is based on
                1. You have no credible response to the seemingly slow outsourcing of the local Wichita Eagle operation
                2. You know I'm correct on Shocker Baseball as indicative of the results of the past 3 years.

If you have no credible response to my original post, then simply don't jump into the discussion if you don't want to look silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  Reporting by the Eagle will continue to be done out of Wichita. The Eagle will move to a smaller space and basically be an "office" operation transmitting their stories to presses in KC that are probably more efficient than the Eagle has or can afford to acquire.

Print media is in the process of becoming extinct. The cost of publishing on the Net is miniscule compared to publishing on paper. I don't know if it's possible to generate the advertising revenue on the Net that sustained newpapers when they were pretty much the only game in town. Print media was slow to adapt to paperless and lost their position as the primary suppliesr of advertising to the communities they served.

The real question now is whether there will anything that emerges (if traditional print media outlets disappear) that will provide in depth coverage of local news and sports. TV coverage is something less than "in depth".
                  awesome sauce malone: take notes from Aargh. That is how you offer legitimate discussion points.

Comment

awesome sauce malone: take notes from Aargh. That is how you offer legitimate discussion points.
                    Your mother offers legitimate points

Comment

Not like this has been happening with rapidly increasing frequency in much larger markets than Kansas for the better part of a decade or anything. Residents are fortunate to still have print versions available at all (for a short while, likely).

Comment

Your mother offers legitimate points
                        Just stop Oedipus, errr asm. Now you are simply embarrassing yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                          Not like this has been happening with rapidly increasing frequency in much larger markets than Kansas for the better part of a decade or anything. Residents are fortunate to still have print versions available at all (for a short while, likely).
                          Play Angry. I believe your point but curious as to what larger markets you're referencing and the distance between the two.

Comment

Play Angry. I believe your point but curious as to what larger markets you're referencing and the distance between the two.
                            Consolidation of operations and elimination of jobs has occurred in dozens of markets. If you are looking for a specific cite referencing a move of a tiny fraction of the existing work force to a nearby nerve center to continue the death rattle for a few more years, that would be an obtuse request. Myopic, you could even say.

Corporate America generally isn't afraid to apply the screws to the little guy, but this is simply a dying industry making desperate moves to prolong its obituary for a few more years.

Comment

Old farts were the only ones with print subscriptions. It was bound to happen when enough of them died or moved into nursing homes.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X