Any fishermen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any fishermen?

Are any of you Wichita guys fishermen? I haven't fished in Kansas, and haven't fished at all for about 20 years, but my nephew has kind of started getting me back into it, and my 8 year old daughter seems to really enjoy it. Does anybody have any suggestions of places to go in or around east Wichita that has decent fishing? We went to the little pond at Harrison Park last weekend and caught 5-6 fish, but they all would've fit in a fish bowl on the dresser. I'm hoping to find somewhere that will keep her busy, so she doesn't lose interest (short attention span at that age), but also somewhere that I might be able to catch something over 6 inches long.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

People have been slaying them at the Augusta lake. I love fishing but I'm a river rat and keep to some back holes that few fish.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
      People have been slaying them at the Augusta lake. I love fishing but I'm a river rat and keep to some back holes that few fish.
      I've got some secret "back holes" too...

Last edited by WstateU; April 15, 2016, 04:37 PM.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
        Are any of you Wichita guys fishermen? I haven't fished in Kansas, and haven't fished at all for about 20 years, but my nephew has kind of started getting me back into it, and my 8 year old daughter seems to really enjoy it. Does anybody have any suggestions of places to go in or around east Wichita that has decent fishing? We went to the little pond at Harrison Park last weekend and caught 5-6 fish, but they all would've fit in a fish bowl on the dresser. I'm hoping to find somewhere that will keep her busy, so she doesn't lose interest (short attention span at that age), but also somewhere that I might be able to catch something over 6 inches long.
        You should be able to run over to the KDWPT office at 29th and Woodlawn, pick their brains a little on fishing reports in the area, and grab a fishing guide that outlines all the public fishing lakes/ponds, and all the publicly-accessible private fishing properties (sounds weird, but there is such a thing), in the state of Kansas.

The stuff in the immediate Wichita area typically is over-fished, and over-run with people, and not really a very interesting place to spend time. Might have to drive a bit. Some nice county lakes in Butler, Harvey, and Sumner counties. The big reservoirs typically aren't much fun as a bank fisherman (need a boat).

Comment

I would bet if you visited the folks at Zeiner's Bass Shop on South Washington (south of Kellogg a couple of blocks) they could help you out.

Zeiner's Angler Supply is the premier place to find your fishing tackle. We carry fishing tackle for most any type of fishing. If you don't see what you are looking for please let us know and we will go to work for you.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Those back holes are the best ones.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
              I would bet if you visited the folks at Zeiner's Bass Shop on South Washington (south of Kellogg a couple of blocks) they could help you out.

http://www.zeiners.com/
              That's where I got my license actually, but I was on a lunch break and didn't really get much chance to talk to them.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                Those back holes are the best ones.
                Ive caught bluegill the size of dinner plates and one night we slayed 20 flat channel and blue cats. Mainly I fish the little walnut and Cedar Creek. Cedar has some of the biggest panfish I have ever seen.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Problem with all the creeks and rivers in a state like Kansas is that they're almost all on private property. So you either get lucky and are granted access, or you trespass.

Comment

Kansas has the lowest proportion of public land in the entire US, coming in at 0.92% of total land area. There's so little rec land here is it depressing.

Comment

Ive caught bluegill the size of dinner plates and one night we slayed 20 flat channel and blue cats. Mainly I fish the little walnut and Cedar Creek. Cedar has some of the biggest panfish I have ever seen.
                      Used to fish a couple little ponds on my buddy's grandma's farm up in eastern Colorado. Best fishing I've ever done. Weren't any catfish there, but the bluegill, sunfish, crappie, and bass fishing was incredible. If we went a couple of miles over to the wildlife area lake, there were a few of those, but mostly bullheads and a few channel cats.

Comment

I grew up on the banks of the little walnut and am used to knocking on doors to ask permission to fish. I have yet to find an answer worse than "no". Also, there are plenty of back country bridges to fish from and few get their panties in a wad over that. Just pick your **** up and dont do anything stupid.

Comment

Growing up, my family had a lease on an awesome spot in Sumner county on the Chickaskia River. Grove of trees by the river for cover for the campsite, with a natural low water dam right at that very spot. Made for easy river access, could seine for minnows upstream from the dam, and the water was waist to chest high downstream, perfect for trot lines and limb lines. Set and bait the lines, go back to the campsite and eat (and drink beer if you were old enough), and go out and check lines every hour or two. Lots of good fish caught!
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Limb lining is my preferred way of fishing.

Comment

Like to learn how to trout fish some day

Comment

Working...
                              X