Indian Wells CEO Comments on the WTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Wells CEO Comments on the WTA

Here's the best I could find on a quick search.

If you've heard about it 2nd hand or read a commentary only, I encourage you to find the entire live audio or video of Mr. Moore's "speech" and listen to it first.

Then let's talk about it.

A lot of attractive WTA players linked in that article.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Here's the best I could find on a quick search.

If you've heard about it 2nd hand or read a commentary only, I encourage you to find the entire live audio or video of Mr. Moore's "speech" and listen to it first.

Then let's talk about it.
      I read the transcripts of the "coattails" answers and then the "attractive" answers, so if there are other portions to listen to, I have missed them.

I don't know if I think he's right or if I think he's wrong. On the one hand, the Williams sisters were (and really still are) absolutely huge in their prime. I bet a lot of people watched women's tennis because of them. And in general, I'm not sure I really buy that people watch women's tennis because they like Federer. Who watches the WNBA because they're a fan of LeBron? On the other hand, I would bet Nadal v Federer finals were significantly more popular than any women's final, and the overall interest in tennis helped boost women's numbers. I'm just not sure.

I do feel confident that it was a really dumb thing for a man in his position to say. Further, when given the opportunity to cop out and say he meant the women's players were attractive candidates for success, why did he double-down and say he meant physically too?

Comment

It's just my opinion, but I think you have to listen to him say it, versus reading it.

I get some won't care, and frankly, I really don't think it's that big a deal. Even taken at face value, there's a lot of truth in what he said, whether it's politically correct or not.

But listening to it, completely, I don't believe he intended as much, I don't know, denigration, as people are saying. Just my opinion. I also think it's a touch of a language barrier.

And, just to be clear, I'm fully ready to accept that he's a sexist pig, if in fact the way most people are taking what he said as being exactly how he meant it.

Comment

One of my best friends is a tennis coach, so I defer a lot of my tennis knowledge to him.

Personally, I actually feel that women's tennis is easier to watch (at least at the highest levels). First of all, the men's game seems to be such a power game, and there seem to be a lot of aces served. Kinda like volleyball when a team can usually slam it on the first receive after the serve, that's not too intriguing to me. With women's tennis, getting a good rally going seems more interesting. Also, because the men's major are best-of-5 matches, a five-setter is can be a marathon. Now, I am not a tennis guy, so my opinion doesn't matter too much, but my coach buddy has even said that if he sees a match tied after two sets, he'll turn it off for an hour and come back to it later. A three-set women's match that can wrap up in a couple hours. Very rarely does it ever push to three hours. If I ever found myself wanting to attend a pro tennis event (especially a major), I would watch the women's matches, not the men's.

Again, not claiming to be Tennis Guy, these are just my simple thoughts...
          78-65

Comment

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

I don't watch tennis, men's or women's.

I tried to play it once.

Once.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                It's just my opinion, but I think you have to listen to him say it, versus reading it.

I get some won't care, and frankly, I really don't think it's that big a deal. Even taken at face value, there's a lot of truth in what he said, whether it's politically correct or not.

But listening to it, completely, I don't believe he intended as much, I don't know, denigration, as people are saying. Just my opinion. I also think it's a touch of a language barrier.

And, just to be clear, I'm fully ready to accept that he's a sexist pig, if in fact the way most people are taking what he said as being exactly how he meant it.
                I watched the video, and I think you're right that it comes off differently in his tone. I think it's clear he's fairly light-hearted about the whole ordeal. I do think he probably still believes some of the stuff he is saying, but (in my opinion) he was making a joke where the grain of truth was that men's tennis has benefited women's tennis and he told a joke about it. Oddly, I think the attractive comment is maybe wholly resolved for me after watching the video. It came across as him starting to say "not physically attractive, I mean attractive candidates to top the WTA" or something and then he decided to make a joke/light-hearted comment and say "both!" And culturally (I have no knowledge one way or the other) it might even have been viewed as a joke that functioned as a compliment. In many other cultures it isn't seen as rude to talk about women's attractiveness more bluntly, so it's possible that saying both was just a way to say they are all around great candidates.

All of that said, I still think it was a poor decision on his part to make those jokes, assuming they were jokes. I'm still not willing to say he is a sexist pig or anything like that, and even less so than I was earlier. I do still think it was a bad idea to make those statements to the public. It just gives people room to jump on the statements.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                  One of my best friends is a tennis coach, so I defer a lot of my tennis knowledge to him.

Personally, I actually feel that women's tennis is easier to watch (at least at the highest levels). First of all, the men's game seems to be such a power game, and there seem to be a lot of aces served. Kinda like volleyball when a team can usually slam it on the first receive after the serve, that's not too intriguing to me. With women's tennis, getting a good rally going seems more interesting. Also, because the men's major are best-of-5 matches, a five-setter is can be a marathon. Now, I am not a tennis guy, so my opinion doesn't matter too much, but my coach buddy has even said that if he sees a match tied after two sets, he'll turn it off for an hour and come back to it later. A three-set women's match that can wrap up in a couple hours. Very rarely does it ever push to three hours. If I ever found myself wanting to attend a pro tennis event (especially a major), I would watch the women's matches, not the men's.

Again, not claiming to be Tennis Guy, these are just my simple thoughts...
                  I played tennis in high school, off and on after that, and again now that my son plays. I've watched a fair bit of tennis over the years and would largely agree with your impression of watching a men's match and women's match. Many times the women's game is a better watch due to the somewhat slower speed of the game. Sometimes faster or more powerful does not make for a better viewing experience. I feel the same way about volleyball. I'd rather watch the longer women's rallies than the quick, power-filled men's game.

That said, I would also admit that if not for the higher interest in men's tennis, mainly during the slams, I wouldn't watch as much women's tennis.

Comment

Agreed with @WuShock16:

I enjoy watching women's tennis more than men's tennis. The game just seems better to me.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                      Agreed with @WuShock16:

I enjoy watching women's tennis more than men's tennis. The game just seems better to me.
                      Also the grunting is better.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        Also the grunting is better.
                        I like my women's grunts primal.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

He gone.

Comment

Working...
                          X