Cutting The Cord And Still Seeing What You Want To See - Tips and Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting The Cord And Still Seeing What You Want To See - Tips and Tricks

Post "cutting the cord" conversations here!
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

From boltforge on the initial posting about cutting the cord:

The problem for those of us in the Valley region is that if the game is on Cox 22 and internet streamed via ESPN3 it is blocked for us. We have to watch it only on Cox 22. The rest of the nation can watch via the internet using ESPN3.

So, to be a cheap as possible and watch as many live WSU games as possible via ESPN:
    Cox Internet Premier = $65 (really needed for the bandwidth)
    Cox Starter TV = $31 (to get Cox 22)
    Roku + Sling.com + Sports = $25 (that gets you WatchESPN, ESPN3, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN News, TNT, TBS, CNN, HGTV, Food Net, Travel, AMC, TruTV, ESPN SEC, ESPN Buzzer Beater, etc.)

The total will be about $120. If you also paid for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO (via Sling) you would pay about $40 more.

If you are OK with listening to the game live on radio and then watching it after you can get by with just Cox internet and the Roku. The WatchESPN app has all the games for free about 30 mins after they are over. That would drop your bill to just $65/mo.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I dont watch a ton of TV. Seriously its mainly movies from Netflix. Amazon streaming is okay at best.

If anyting I watch a ton of MLB TV and my TV is always turned into FSKC in the spring/summer/fall. Id probably go wiht the essential package and roku for everyything else. I lke that Epix package on Sling

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
        Post "cutting the cord" conversations here!
        I got to cut the cord with 2 of my kids. How's that for a discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          I got to cut the cord with 2 of my kids. How's that for a discussion?
          I only have one daughter, and I cut that cord like a pro. For one day in June of 2007, I was the 1990-91 UNLV of cord cutting.
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
            I only have one daughter, and I cut that cord like a pro. For one day in June of 2007, I was the 1990-91 UNLV of cord cutting.
            I would like it, but on Mobil.
            Lol

Comment

I am hoping for some a la carte options. The only TV I watch is usually live sporting events.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Seton Hall - 52
                Shox - 68

What, wrong thread?
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

OK, seriously, I want to ditch my $200 Century Link bill, but I'm clueless on this Roku/Sling TV/Amazon Prime stuff, so any helpful guidance from SN's geniuses would be appreciated.

I have an Apple TV and use it to watch WSU on ESPN3. What is the difference/advantages of having a Roku?
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                    OK, seriously, I want to ditch my $200 Century Link bill, but I'm clueless on this Roku/Sling TV/Amazon Prime stuff, so any helpful guidance from SN's geniuses would be appreciated.

I have an Apple TV and use it to watch WSU on ESPN3. What is the difference/advantages of having a Roku?

As others have noted (maybe in a different thread), you can't get Sling TV on the Apple TV as an app. You can use your Sling TV log-in on the Apple TV WatchESPN app, so you would get ESPN and ESPN 2 in addition to the ESPN 3 content you already get, but you wouldn't get the other channels offered by Sling TV unless you chose to mirror the content from an iPhone or Mac computer or something. Sling TV offers live programming and some on-demand content.

If you want to cut the cord, you have to determine what content is important to you. If you watch mostly new TV, Hulu might be a good option for you. If you watch a lot of HBO or Showtime, they are all starting to have their own packages where you only pay for the channel you want. Amazon Prime, in my opinion, isn't worth spending the money unless you already have Amazon Prime. It seems to have the smallest library of any of the options. The good news is that you could buy Sling TV for ESPN and a few other channels, Netflix, Hulu and HBO and still come out well below your $200 a month. You might have enough left over to buy a Roku every month!

Comment

Is there anything similar to Sling TV that's available for Apple TV?

Also, is Roku and Apple TV content different enough to justify having each? A Roku sounds like a cheap one time investment of $100, so maybe I can convince the wife to cover all of our bases with both.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                        Is there anything similar to Sling TV that's available for Apple TV?

Also, is Roku and Apple TV content different enough to justify having each? A Roku sounds like a cheap one time investment of $100, so maybe I can convince the wife to cover all of our bases with both.

Thanks.
                        I don't know of anything similar to Sling TV for the Apple TV. You can get HBO and Showtime on the Apple TV, but I don't know of any package that has multiple channels like Sling. Check out the list of channels on Sling's website: https://www.sling.com/. If you will only use it for ESPN, you should be fine using your log-in on the Apple TV and then you'd just miss out on the other channels. Also, if you are only going to watch the other channels rarely, it might not be a pain to just mirror the content on your Apple TV if you have that capability (by owning an iPhone or a Mac computer -- though, I think there are limitations on how old they can be).

As far as owning both, it's tough to say if it's worth it. If you have purchased a lot of movies or music through iTunes, it might make some sense to keep the Apple TV around for those kinds of things. The Roku has enough different apps and channels that, in my opinion, it's more worth it to buy a Roku to supplement your Apple TV than vice-versa. A Roku can do just about everything the Apple TV can, but the Apple TV can't do everything the Roku can.

Comment

Just buy a Amazon Fire Stick or a Roku Stick for like $30 when they go on sale and use that to stream Sling if you are wanting to minimize upfront capital.

Comment

All I know is Cox makes me want to "Sling" my tv... (OK, no smart a$$ comments about my vintage TV).

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                              Just buy a Amazon Fire Stick or a Roku Stick for like $30 when they go on sale and use that to stream Sling if you are wanting to minimize upfront capital.
                              Stay away from the Roku Streaming Stick as I went through two of them in six months. Roku is a little more time consuming setting up and their customer service has much to be desired. The first one went out just out of the full warranty, so I had to send it back and they wouldn't send me a new one until they received the one I sent. Took about a week and they outsource their customer service it sounds like to India. After the second one went out within a week of getting it, I went with Apple TV and love it. I use my parents login for Watch ESPN and watch all the games on ESPN3, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and SEC Network. Still have basic cable and internet through Cox (WSU games on 22) and have NetFlix. Still have cut my bill by more than $60 a month.

Comment

Working...
                              X