Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess

While I am still pumped from learning we have chess players on SN ............

While not a great player , I am lucky in that I enjoy the game for fun ....... I'd probably have to be a walk-on if I played for the Shocks...... That being said , chess can provide a lot of side benefits for people . Hopefully it will help us old people from having our brains turn to mush , and for kids , it can teach many positive life skills........ concentration , problem solving , how to be a good sport , etc..... Some schools even teach chess as a regular class...... Actually , it's pretty popular in grade schools......

Chess is 24/7 on the web , and there are enough free , legal resources to keep the average person busy for a lifetime. Here is one of my favorites . Start out with mate-1 , then work your way up when it gets too easy....... If you can handle Mt-3's , you're on the team ........... For kids starting out , it's Tactics , Tactics , Tactics.......

Thousands of free interactive chess checkmate puzzles to solve online

Also , the movie " Pawn Sacrifice " is still showing at the Warren East ( might be last day )
    It depicts the '72 Fischer-Spassky match ..... good film , but tough when you've read the books , and lived the event.........
    Anyway , to show the power of computers , in the film , Game 6 was highlighted , Fischer won , and Spassky even applauded him ( accurate ) ....... I went over the game briefly and found on move 36 , Fischer missed a forced mate in 28 moves.... he moved Bd3 , and should have moved Rh5 !! My machine is 6 yrs old , and slow , but still spit out this analysis after 2-3 hrs thinking...
    So if 36. Rh5 , then this shows , at best Black will be mated in 27 moves......
    Attached Files

** correct pic ***

Weird ........ that wasn't the thumbnail I thought I picked..........
    Attached Files

Comment

Mate in 28. Wow he really missed an easy one.
      In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
      X