Yogi Berra: a man greater than his legend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yogi Berra: a man greater than his legend

If you live long enough, time wears off the rough edges. Simplifies the complicated parts. Turns one’s struggle and the uncertainty one faces into a story of inevitable triumph. It’s a reward, really. A nice perk for living a long, good life and bringing happiness to people. But it also, perversely and quite unintentionally, robs one of the credit for the totality of one’s accomplishments. Yogi Berra may be one of the greatest examples of this in baseball history.

There is not a single person reading this who first became aware of Yogi Berra as anything other than a baseball legend. Given the demographics of those who get their news on the Internet, most of you were born into a world in which Yogi Berra was already considered something of an immortal. It is certain that a majority of you reading this were born after he was already inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1972. A greater majority of you were born after he retired as a player with ten World Series championships. One could likely count the number of people reading this who were engaged and knowledgable baseball fans before Berra was considered one of the best in the game on one hand.

He was a legend in everyones mind.

Comment

Yogi-isms

On his approach to at-bats: “You can’t think and hit at the same time.”

On selecting a restaurant: “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”

On economics: “A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”

On the 1973 Mets: “We were overwhelming underdogs.”

On how events sometimes seem to repeat themselves “It’s deja vu all over again!”

On baseball attendance: “If people don’t come to the ballpark, how are you gonna stop them?”

On a slipping batting average: “Slump? I ain’t in no slump. … I just ain’t hitting.”

On travel directions: “When you come to a fork in the road take it.”

On pregame rest: “I usually take a two-hour nap from 1 to 4.”

On battling the shadows in left field at Yankee Stadium: “It gets late early out there.”

On fan mail: “Never answer an anonymous letter.”

On being told he looked cool: “You don’t look so hot yourself.”

On being asked what time it was: “You mean now?”

On being given a day in his honor: “Thank you for making this day necessary.”

On a spring training drill: “Pair off in threes.”

On his approach to playing baseball: “Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical.”

On learning: “You can observe a lot by watching.”

On his team’s diminishing pennant chances: “It ain’t over ’till it’s over.”

On the fractured syntax attributed to him: “I really didn’t say everything I said.”
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Vin Scully remembers Yogi Berra

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
        X