X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Supply List

@tropicalshox:, is this accurate?

Attached Files
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Definitely for some. Is there a storm somewhere?
    In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
      Definitely for some. Is there a storm somewhere?
      There's a storm somewhere.

Comment

A poll was just taken by the local newspaper on the topic. They asked readers, "As hurricane season hits the apex, how should Florida Keys residents handle upcoming threats such as Danny?"

The results:

41% Buy more rum

16% Don't worry, be happy

16% Batten down the hatches

14% Secure all lawn chairs and prepare for the show

14% For 10th straight year, go buy more batteries.

A good part of the population feel pretty safe here. There are reasons for that besides to much rum. For me it's the Cuban mountains. In 1998, level 5 Hurricane Georges was on a direct path to Key West just on the other side of Cuba. The mountains cut it down to a level two and it didn't have time to build back up during the 90 mile journey across the straits. Downed power lines and the end to many wonderful old trees and for some, almost a month without power. But nobody was hurt among the 30% to 50% of the residents who stayed including myself since I'm not real smart. The reason for some believers is the Key West Grotto. There is an on line article "Believers: Grotto shields Key West" if you are interested. But, since that article, Wilma wreaked havoc with it's storm surge. That one came from the wrong direction for protection. But we didn't get it's full strength so believers still believe. If you want to feel safe and stay no matter what, best not talk to the old, old timers about the 1935 Hurricane that hit the middle Keys. I have. I don't know if I'd stay again for a level 5 just on the other side of Cuba.
        In the fast lane

Comment

The one good thing about a hurricane, unlike other natural disasters, is that you have usually 3-7 days from the time it starts developing to get ready.

My wife and my personal plan is to wait till about the two days out before it is projected to either hit Florida or not. If yes, unplug all electronic equipment, empty the frig. pack up the liquor, gather important documents, button up the house, and head to relatives who always welcome the steaks, liquor, and us, with open arms. See no reason to stay as there is not a damn thing I can do to protect our property from damage.

Might add, in the 20 years we have lived in Daytona Beach, only one year (2004) were we hit by hurricanes (albeit it 3 that year). Most of them veer off south of NASA due to the prevailing winds. In fact, NASA did a study on this prior to ever establishing the Space Center there. Makes sense. Actually, in a report I saw several years ago, more hurricanes hit land in NC and in the NE states than Florida.

Comment

Working...
          X