WSU - Some good news and some bad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    I'm happy that WSU hasn't turned into an online degree mill. Does absolutely NOTHING positive for academic profile at all. It is fine FHSU serves that demand in the market, but they can keep it for all I care.

My BIL in Nebraska is completing an online degree from Bellevue University in Omaha (supposedly one of the best online degree programs in the country), and it is hilarious how pathetic and non-rigorous the program is. He dropped out of juco roughly 10 years ago with a handful of vocational type credit hours, and he will somehow have a "bachelors degree" in something like 8 or 9 months. This, after taking around 10 classes that each span about 3 or 4 weeks, with open book exams and no class meetings. And somehow schools like this have an accreditation.

Anyways... I'm not THAT far removed from my time at WSU, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, as did most of my classmates as far as I can tell. No shortcuts to be had at WSU though.
    Agreed. It's a different kind of learning atmosphere. The grade you get is certainly the grade you earned. It's different than the party schools where lots of students drop out because they party too much and succeed because professors cut them slack. I wouldn't be so blunt, but I know several people that transferreded to wsu from ku/ksu/Pitt state. They all either dropped out and had no problem admitting the no slack thing was the issue, or they stuck around to graduate thanks to completely changing their life style. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
      I'm happy that WSU hasn't turned into an online degree mill. Does absolutely NOTHING positive for academic profile at all. It is fine FHSU serves that demand in the market, but they can keep it for all I care.

My BIL in Nebraska is completing an online degree from Bellevue University in Omaha (supposedly one of the best online degree programs in the country), and it is hilarious how pathetic and non-rigorous the program is. He dropped out of juco roughly 10 years ago with a handful of vocational type credit hours, and he will somehow have a "bachelors degree" in something like 8 or 9 months. This, after taking around 10 classes that each span about 3 or 4 weeks, with open book exams and no class meetings. And somehow schools like this have an accreditation.

Anyways... I'm not THAT far removed from my time at WSU, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, as did most of my classmates as far as I can tell. No shortcuts to be had at WSU though.
      Bellevue University is a degree mill. In person or online, that is how Bellevue University operates at the undergrad level. Depending on the degree, their masters programs are supposed to have some teeth.

As far as online goes, it is the way of the future and depending on the school, the programs can be quite rigorous. The University of Texas, Ohio State, Stanford and others offer online and are expanding. You shouldn't be concerned about adding online courses, you should simply demand that online courses have teeth.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Since there are a good portion of non traditional students I would like to see the online courses expanded. With my kids activities and what not its hard to make it into a designated class. I still like to attend classes due to the social aspect of it.

Since my classes are all in the evenings the parking issue isn't really too big of a deal to me. I like how they changed the hours to not needing a permit however I refuse to try and find a spot should a baseball game be going on. A couple of years back when I was laid off I would have been pretty pissed so I do have some empathy towards folks going earlier in the day.

I do think some of the things Bardo is doing will help in the future. I

Comment

Did the Shocker Pathway Program backfire in encouraging more students to take a less expensive route prior to transferring to WSU? Is this a case of 1step back, 2 steps forward ?

Regardless, the numbers are not acceptable. I expect some marketing companies to lose their contract over these poor enrollment numbers.
          Not good at all.

Comment

WSU has ~ 2-3% fewer students and about 1% fewer credits vs last year.
            Livin the dream

Comment

The economy fluctates and enrollment fluctates. These gonhand in hand. I think this is probably more to blame than anything else. My job usually showwls signs of economic trouble after many other things, but it is showing those signs now. I wouldn't worry much about a 1% drop in credit hours. That really isn't much.

Comment

If the drop is caused by the economy, we should hear about similar drops at the other state schools.

Comment

Well, I guess we know what the team has to do. A national title should fix this problem quickly. Won't be long now...

Do it for the children Fred. These kids need an education.

Comment

Fred loves the kids.

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

@wichita:Hub: Early Wichita State enrollment numbers down http://t.co/h2spb71w6I
                      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
                      X