X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU - Some good news and some bad news

First, the bad news - Enrollment is down

Now the good news - Record-breaking fundraising

Seems bad on its face, but I'm not totally surprised. We are ramping up our numbers with traditionals and off-setting those gains with losses in non-traditionals (and apparently some graduate students).

It would be interesting to see, instead of % increase/decrease of the total number of students (which includes part-time folks taking 3 credit hours), a % increase/decrease in the total number of credit hours enrolled now versus, say, 10 years ago. I'd bet that even though the increase in overall enrollment has been marginal during that period, the increase in credit hours enrolled has gone up significantly.

Edit: Looks like the Eagle article addresses my point above in very vague terms. Although enrollment is projected to be down ~400 students, credit hours for the year over year period are expected to be down "slightly." Hard to tell how commensurate the decline is based on that language. I'd be more interested in seeing a decade-long tracking chart showing the trendline for credit hours.
    Last edited by Play Angry; August 18, 2015, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I had a student tell me the other day that he wasn't surprised that fraternity recruitment numbers were down because enrollment at the University missed its expectations, mostly attributed to "consultants not doing their jobs". I laughed in his face.

Comment

What's the trend right now nationally though? If enrollment is up at every other state institution in KS, and a majority of state universities around the country are experiencing growth, then I'd be worried. If the numbers are in line with the rest of the state/nation it's just the environment.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Is that decline roughly similar to last fall's increase?

Comment

I blame Marshall. There is statistical data to support that going to the Final 4 and then going undefeated created a significant boost in enrollment. All he did was beat KU last year and everyone kinda knew he would do that if he ever got to play them so it was anti-climactic and now we have lower enrollment...

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              Is that decline roughly similar to last fall's increase?
              No, I believe it is a fairly substantial decrease, relative to WSU's fluctuation in the modern era. Enrollment now might be below what is was when Bardo took the job, but don't quote me on that. The silver lining though is total credit hours are staying fairly strong, which essentially means WSU is shedding casual part-time students and gaining full-timers (as it has been mentioned). A silly as it seems, I think the parking issue really is an issue to the more detached, non-allegiant student.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                No, I believe it is a fairly substantial decrease, relative to WSU's fluctuation in the modern era. Enrollment now might be below what is was when Bardo took the job, but don't quote me on that. The silver lining though is total credit hours are staying fairly strong, which essentially means WSU is shedding casual part-time students and gaining full-timers (as it has been mentioned). A silly as it seems, I think the parking issue really is an issue to the more detached, non-allegiant student.
                Or I could see parking tipped the scale on the adult student who takes 3-6 hours a semester/year. If you lose those, it's pretty simple math to guestimate that is a reason why students are down but credit hours are steady.
                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

If the parking situation at WSU is standing between someone and pursuing a degree, they probably wouldn't have the fortitude to finish anyway. Goodness sakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    If the parking situation at WSU is standing between someone and pursuing a degree, they probably wouldn't have the fortitude to finish anyway. Goodness sakes.
                    Or, might they decide to just finish up online elsewhere?

Comment

We need more paper classes!
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                        Or I could see parking tipped the scale on the adult student who takes 3-6 hours a semester/year. If you lose those, it's pretty simple math to guestimate that is a reason why students are down but credit hours are steady.
                        That's a good thought - always think in terms of credit hours, whether that's average credit hour per student or total taken. My guess is that number is steady or up. Bardo mentioned last year that we are graduating (not losing) students at a faster pace than we're gaining them, so there's another nice spin to put on that decrease.

Comment

I doubt the parking problem was the last straw for the enrollment decrease. While attending Wsu, I heard so many people complaining about everything except for parking. I think Wsu could expand it's online classes to help things. Ft. Hays has a huge online following that gets added into the enrollment.. Probably won't happen though, that's just another quirk about Wsu . There's a lot of things they could do to make better sense of their all around situation that they simply don't do.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                            I doubt the parking problem was the last straw for the enrollment decrease. While attending Wsu, I heard so many people complaining about everything except for parking. I think Wsu could expand it's online classes to help things. Ft. Hays has a huge online following that gets added into the enrollment.. Probably won't happen though, that's just another quirk about Wsu . There's a lot of things they could do to make better sense of their all around situation that they simply don't do.
                            I'm happy that WSU hasn't turned into an online degree mill. Does absolutely NOTHING positive for academic profile at all. It is fine FHSU serves that demand in the market, but they can keep it for all I care.

My BIL in Nebraska is completing an online degree from Bellevue University in Omaha (supposedly one of the best online degree programs in the country), and it is hilarious how pathetic and non-rigorous the program is. He dropped out of juco roughly 10 years ago with a handful of vocational type credit hours, and he will somehow have a "bachelors degree" in something like 8 or 9 months. This, after taking around 10 classes that each span about 3 or 4 weeks, with open book exams and no class meetings. And somehow schools like this have an accreditation.

Anyways... I'm not THAT far removed from my time at WSU, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, as did most of my classmates as far as I can tell. No shortcuts to be had at WSU though.

Comment

I wonder what how the number of incoming freshman and transfers compares to last year. That was the number they were touting last fall.

Comment

Working...
                              X