No announcement yet.

Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we now play with 9 defenders and a token mid?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Will we now play with 9 defenders and a token mid?
      Nyet!

Pulisic nets his 3rd and it's 5-0 USA!

A scintillating goal from the youngster!

Comment

• I had us down at 4-0, but if I would have hedged at 3-0 if putting money down. Didn't see 5-0 coming.

Pulisic is a special, special player.

Comment

• What a terrible call, let alone yellow card, that lead to Panama's goal.

Comment

What a terrible call, let alone yellow card, that lead to Panama's goal.
            Agreed, but the US has been sloppy enough on the back line, throughout the match, that Panama probably deserved at least one goal.

However unlikely, that goal makes Costa Rica's job a slight bit easier on Wednesday.

Mexico breaks through in the 70th minute and leads Honduras, who continues to refuse to go forward for reasons that cannot be explained, 1-0.

US and Panama are in extra time.

5-1 final.

Mexico and Honduras are in extra time. About a minute remain.

Honduras manages only 4 shots (1 on goal). 1-0 final.

About as good as we could have hoped for today.

Costa Rica will have to beat the US by 6 goals or more (the US can't lose the goal scoring tiebreaker without first losing the goal differential tiebreaker) to send the US to a qualifying match vs Oceania (New Zealand or the Solomon Islands I think).

Or hope Mexico loses to El Salvador in Azteca (not happening).
            Last edited by WuDrWu; March 27, 2022, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              However unlikely, that goal makes Costa Rica's job a slight bit easier on ...
              Accumulation is no joke. Refs shouldn't be handing them out like candy, like they used to.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

However unlikely, that goal makes Costa Rica's job a slight bit easier on Wednesday.
                Actually that goal made no difference. US had a 11 goal differential before that goal so 6 goals would give Costa Rica a +1 goal differential. After that goal U.S. was +10, 5 goals makes it even and U.S. still holds the tie break. Costa Rico still needs 6 goals.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post

Actually that goal made no difference. US had a 11 goal differential before that goal so 6 goals would give Costa Rica a +1 goal differential. After that goal U.S. was +10, 5 goals makes it even and U.S. still holds the tie break. Costa Rico still needs 6 goals.
                  EXCELLENT point.

Comment

• Are y'all still worried? :)

Comment

Are y'all still worried? :)
                      It wasn’t that long ago Costa Rica handed us our worst WC Qualifying loss in several generations.

I’ll feel better if HCGB doesn’t Berhalter the boys, show up in a 4-5-1, and try to do an impression of Mourinho.

Comment

Are y'all still worried? :)
                        I will admit, I should have looked at the tie breaker more closely early on. I assumed (incorrectly) that head to head would be ranked ahead of overall goal differential. Since it didn't, there was no real concern with a 2-0 loss, or something like that, in Costa Rica.

Now, I will feel a LOT better about our chance to be competitive in Qatar if the boys can make a statement tomorrow and finish a clear 2nd in the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

It wasn’t that long ago Costa Rica handed us our worst WC Qualifying loss in several generations.

I’ll feel better if HCGB doesn’t Berhalter the boys, show up in a 4-5-1, and try to do an impression of Mourinho.

I think a 4-5-1/4-3-3 is a mortal lock for USMNT. The wingers make it difficult to give traditional lineup numbering to. It's more like a 4 - 3+0.5+0.5 - 1+0.5+0.5. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                            I do gotta say that our WCQ record against Costa Rica in Costa Rica is crap, and that's putting it very, very nicely. But we'd have to get absolutely throttled.

Comment

• OLAAAAy ole ole Olaaaaay, Oollaaaayy

GO COSTA RICA!!!

Oh and sorry for rooting for Shocker baseball today. Old habit.

Comment

• Pepi with a strike that is turned away by the Costa Rican goaltender.

No score throughout CONCACAF as all 8 teams are in action at the same time tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X