Hacking of Connected Vehicles Shifts From Theory to Very Scary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking of Connected Vehicles Shifts From Theory to Very Scary

With new cars adding connected technologies at a breakneck pace, fears that hackers could use them to wreak havoc are growing almost as fast.

Day by day, we are building SkyNet.

Comment

Remember the journalist whose car crashed and exploded?

Reflexively distrustful, eager to make powerful enemies, the young journalist whose Mercedes exploded in Los Angeles one night couldn’t possibly have died accidentally, could he?

Comment

I can't tell you how I know this, but the ability to do this has existed for some time and it wasn't just limited to Chrysler.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm betting that the other 2 of the big 3 fixed this problem some time ago. I know that the capability was demonstrated to at least one of them.

Comment

And the latest in home security technology lets you turn you alarm on or off remotely. Some systems will even let you lock and unlock your doors remotely. What a great idea. So a hacker turns your alarm off, opens your garage door, helps themselves to any desired contents, closes your garage door, and turns your alarm back on.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            And the latest in home security technology lets you turn you alarm on or off remotely. Some systems will even let you lock and unlock your doors remotely. What a great idea. So a hacker turns your alarm off, opens your garage door, helps themselves to any desired contents, closes your garage door, and turns your alarm back on.
            As long as they can't get into my gun safes, have at it.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Most modern alarm systems will send you messages whenever the alarm is armed or disarmed. Plus if you have video cameras in your house, you'd see who was trying to rip you off.

Comment

Black helicopters!

Comment

How come @shock:a kahn is not calling for Chrysler's CEO to step down for not having proper cyber insurance on their Jeep vehicle?
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

You don't exactly tend to see bands of dangerous hackers out robbing houses.
                    Originally posted by BleacherReport
                    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      How come @shock:a kahn is not calling for Chrysler's CEO to step down for not having proper cyber insurance on their Jeep vehicle?
                      Because of their framework. It's all about the framework.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                        Turns out, if you have those skills, you just get a job and make bank. Not much need to jack stuff at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                          I think the point of hacking an app like that is not to be seen.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                          Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Perhaps because Chrysler/Fiat had said that the head unit could not be used to control the motor and guidance systems?

Kung, why don't you read NIST SP 800-82 and get back with me. Maybe you'll learn something. I think you already understand the OSI model, this will give you a chance to expand your horizons.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                              I think the point of hacking an app like that is not to be seen.
                              The hack that Wired did was more a 'proof of concept' and less a zero day exploit.

Comment

Working...
                              X