Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Wichita, need help w/ good neighborhoods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Wichita, need help w/ good neighborhoods.

Just found out I got a pretty slick job in Wichita & don't know the neighborhoods well enough to know where I need to look (born there, lived there till about 7, grandparents live in Derby). Unfortunately, they want me to start next Monday the 20th. I would like to live close to Derby to help my grandparents out but besides the Green & Fairway apartments (which have a 1 month waiting list) I'll be making too much $ and am over-qualified at the other complexes I've researched. I would like a safe, quiet, clean, laid-back neighborhood & not crazy expensive. Looking for an apartment just to get up there, but will look for a house soon after. Apartments.com & Craigslist haven't been too much help. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A couple of years ago we helped our grandson locate a rental/apartment and settled on Fox Run Apartments in Southeast Wichita on Webb Road between Lincoln and Harry. Not all that long of a trek over to Derby. You may have to sign a 6 month lease however.

Comment

Thanks. Great reviews, good neighborhood. I appreciate the response!

Comment

I am a homeowner in the Harry and Webb area, and it is a decent neighborhood. Get settled in an apartment, and then you can spend plenty of time house hunting. There will be good choices in a variety of price ranges in Derby as well as in far SE Wichita, especially east of Webb and south of Kellogg.
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Those apartments in Derby you mention, if you could get one, I believe can include golf membership if that is important to you.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I have a friend not far from ShockBand, at Harry and Rock. I have an Aunt that lives at Harry and Webb. Fantastic area.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
              I have a friend not far from ShockBand, at Harry and Rock. I have an Aunt that lives at Harry and Webb. Fantastic area.
              Agreed, and you go from very affordable smaller homes near Rock Road, to progressively nicer, bigger, and more expensive homes as you work east. Get out to the area around Sierra Hills and Christa McAullife Academy, and you're working into the 200s and 300s. There are also some decent crab shacks out by Flint Hills National Golf Club.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses!

Comment

I live just off S. Rock Rd. just a couple miles north of Derby - between Pawnee and Harry. There are apartments everywhere around here. Also a lot of duplexes just off of Rock between Mt. Vernon and Pawnee. On Harry, between Rock and Webb there are more apartments. Some are on the high end of rental units, so there's some chance to live among a better group. Probably the best in this area is http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Kansas/Wichita/Pheasant-Run-Apartments/100014638/

This part of town is reasonably low crime, but should not be considered crime free. Property crimes typically involve minor theft from inside unlocked cars, occasional entries into garages.

I'd recommend looking at Pheasant Run. (linked above). I've visited friends there. It's nicely fenced and access is limited. You have to want to enter the complex - there won't be people driving through by accident. The townhouses I've seen are luxurious compared to other apartments I've seen. It's unexpectedly nice.
                  Last edited by Aargh; July 13, 2015, 11:11 PM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Avoid the complex at Webb and Lincoln. It's just too big and too many apartment dwellers concentrated together. Just the numbers game has given that complex a higher crime rate than is typical of the area.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Just be on the lookout for this trio of numbnuts; especially the one on the right... :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

She must have skimmed her way to a boob job.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                          She must have skimmed her way to a boob job.
                          Very impressive results I might add.
                          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                            Very impressive results I might add.
                            That's a highway to the danger zone my friend.

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

I was just in Wichita yesterday looking for apartments for my daughter. Claremont at Harry and Webb Road was very nice, reasonably priced with very flexible lease terms. You can have an agreement for a short as two months.

They are my daughter's plan B right now. Plan A is Sundance in the 1900 block of North Rock Road (closer to WSU).
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                              X