Wichita Rugby Playing for Div III National Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita Rugby Playing for Div III National Championship

Wichita Rugby Barbarians beat Colusa California and Dallas Athletic Club Rugby 14-10 in the semis to earn the right to play for the D-III Club National Championship on June 13th in Denver.

They've been good for a few years now, but this is their first trip to the National Championship.

Congrats to a club that started pretty much from scratch in the early-90's.
    Last edited by Anthroshock; May 31, 2015, 03:19 PM.

Where do they play? Is it just like an all ages, amateur league sort of thing?

I've never actually heard of them.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that they play in at Harrison Park in east Wichita. If it's not them, it's some other "Wichita rugby" group.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Amateur traveling. There is a U19 club also.

Harrison Park. Tuesday and Thursday evening practices. Saturday matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
          Wichita Rugby Barbarians beat Colusa California and Dallas Athletic Club Rugby 14-10 in the semis to earn the right to play for the D-III Club National Championship on June 13th in Denver.

They've been good for a few years now, but this is their first trip to the National Championship.

Congrats to a club that started pretty much from scratch in the early-90's.
          Fantastic! They have been around since at least the 80s. I think they had complete turnover in the early 90s though so, yeah, completely rebuilt. Had a fraternity brother from Paraguay that was a stud that played with them in the mid 90s.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Article on upcoming match from the Eagle.

Comment

I counted more than 150 DIII teams across the country. 32 teams made the Championship draw. They beat in conference KC Blues (avenging their only loss of the season) 34-7.

In the round of 16 they beat the Queen City Rams 66-0 (a team that beat the previously 12-0 St Louis Royals 22-10 in the round of 32).

Then as mentioned earlier they beat NoCal Colusa County (11-1) 35-14 in the round of 8 and Dallas Athletic (13-0) 14-10 in the semis.

Now the 12-0 Tri Cities Barbarians from Michigan await in the Barbarians from Wichita in the finals. Tri Cities was in the semis last year and is 28-1 over the last 2 years.

Good luck guys!

Comment

Great write up and great picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Fantastic! They have been around since at least the 80s. I think they had complete turnover in the early 90s though so, yeah, completely rebuilt. Had a fraternity brother from Paraguay that was a stud that played with them in the mid 90s.
                  I believe "The Spot" on East Douglas served as the Barbarians headquarters in the 80's. Lots of good times.

Comment

Champions!

WBRFC defeats TCBRFC 30-28 to win the DIII Club Championship. Very dramatic ending with a try to win called back and Wichita making a penalty kick at the whistle to take the match and championship.

Full replay

Comment

That Is Awesome!!!
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I know nothing of rugby but watching the last few minutes of that was still tense and awesome! Do they play games in Wichita in the regular season? I might have to go watch sometime, its crazy the size of some of those guys, and much smaller guys just throwing themselves into em, no pads!!

Comment

Working...
                        X