WSU Licensing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Licensing Question

My birthday was last week and my wife ordered an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. They argued with my wife and said they couldn't write "Shockers" on the cake because it was copyrighted by WSU. So they wrote "Shox" on it instead. Not that I really care that "Shockers" wasn't on the cake, but I haven't heard of "Shockers" being copyrighted. I know if she were to ask for a Wu Shock or the WSU logo, they can't do that, but not the word. Can anyone confirm this?

Re: WSU Licensing Question

Originally posted by martymoose
    My birthday was last week and my wife ordered an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. They argued with my wife and said they couldn't write "Shockers" on the cake because it was copyrighted by WSU. So they wrote "Shox" on it instead. Not that I really care that "Shockers" wasn't on the cake, but I haven't heard of "Shockers" being copyrighted. I know if she were to ask for a Wu Shock or the WSU logo, they can't do that, but not the word. Can anyone confirm this?
    I say that's total BS! I'm actually surprised that "Shox" isn't copyrighted by Nike? I wonder if "The Shocker" is copyrighted?
    :yahoo:
    SFL is back!

Comment

Shox is trademarked by Nike

So for them to put Shox but not Shockers is completley stupid. Thats like saying you cant use blue devils or jayhawks.

I can understand about the WuShock logo but not to put Shockers on there is bleh

Comment

I once received a letter from WSU's licensing company (who they aren't with anymore). And IIRC, it said I could not use any of their logos or the words "Wichita State", "Wichita State University", "WSU", "Shockers" or any combination thereof on this site without permission. (I had a verbal agreement with the AD's office, so it was a non-issue)

That's been about 6-7 years ago, so take it for what it's worth.

Comment

The whole idea behind all the tradmark stuff is people out there that want to use logos on items to make 100% profit with the teams getting zero.

I use the Broncos logo at times for my avatar BUT I`m not making any money off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SFL
            I say that's total BS! I'm actually surprised that "Shox" isn't copyrighted by Nike? I wonder if "The Shocker" is copyrighted?
            :yahoo:
            Sorry, I understand from a reliable source that "The Shocker" has a patent pending.
            ;-)
            SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by SFL
              Sorry, I understand from a reliable source that "The Shocker" has a patent pending.
              ;-)
              Patent pending? That will never go through.

Comment

Originally posted by SFL
                ;-)
                Patent pending? That will never go through.
                Does it depend on whether it is a DIGITAL or ANALOG Shocker? Now just sit there and ponder those words for a moment...

If not patented, maybe at least a Creative Commons license is in order.

:D
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                X