DISH, Fox battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DISH, Fox battle

I've been thinking of moving from local cable to DISH, but this gives me pause. Looking at the details of the squabble, I can't help but wonder if this is how Fox is trying to keep FS1 and FS2 alive while they deal with lousy ratings.

It's not Dish's first run in with contract negotiations stalling and customers losing channels for a time. I think they lost AE, Comedy Central and a couple others a year or two ago.

I guess I look at it like a good thing Dish is doing though. They're not bending at the whim of these networks demanding more and more money for content that people aren't wanting, but have to purchased due to the bundling.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      It's not Dish's first run in with contract negotiations stalling and customers losing channels for a time. I think they lost AE, Comedy Central and a couple others a year or two ago.

I guess I look at it like a good thing Dish is doing though. They're not bending at the whim of these networks demanding more and more money for content that people aren't wanting, but have to purchased due to the bundling.
      That's my take on the DISH side, as well. I'm sure the issue will get resolved eventually, as DISH won't be able to tolerate the loss of current and future subscribers for very long.

Comment

Dish used to have FSMW but it doesn't now. Is this what you are talking about Royal?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
          Dish used to have FSMW but it doesn't now. Is this what you are talking about Royal?
          I was actually referring directly to the big $$$ contract FS1 gave to the Big East. Ratings are so bad I'm wondering if this deal Fox is requiring of it's distributors is to help cover the shortfall.

How long has FSMW not been on DISH?

Comment

I love Dish. So they squabble with networks at times...but so does each satellite/cable provider.

And I live in Derby, and still get FSMW so not sure what rrshock is talking about. At times, programming meant to air on FSMW will be broadcast on an alternate channel near the normal FSMW channel.

Comment

It was part of my regular package and now it isn't. Did it move to the sports pack?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                It was part of my regular package and now it isn't. Did it move to the sports pack?
                I'm not sure which package you have...but I have the top 200 package (think that's what it is called) and it has always been part of that one.

Comment

I continue to complain about Cox (They’re Definitely Not My Friend in the Digital Age) and their ridiculous rates, however at our OTHER PLACE ( :) ) where we have Dish Network (Cox isn’t available), I have experienced some weather related outages. I also recall a ‘squabble’ between Dish and ESPN (and maybe Fox?) that left a bad taste in my mouth. Dish reliability isn’t too bad in a ‘no wind or ice environment’; the medium (Silver) package is acceptable for my non-primary residence. Although Cox (fiber optic) isn’t perfect, it seems to be reliable 99% of the time. Of course Dish = $90 per month (with no internet service and 2 DVR's) and Cox = $280 per month (includes internet service [no phone], 3 DVR’s [don’t ask me why] and a bazillion channels). Best of all, I’m not aware of any pending lawsuits with Cox or any recent ‘squabbles’. I guess you get what you pay for or have to accept what's available in your market.

Oh, and best of all, 'Cox has my Shox'! Unfortunately, they have me by the Cox!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Direct tv here, I like pretty well
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

After looking at the channel lineups between Dish and DirecTV (namely that some sports channels like CBS Sports, NBC Sports and Tennis) are included in a lower tier DirecTV package, I may go with them.

Comment

I had Dish at first switch to Direct and havent regretted it
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I've had both before, and liked Dish better in all aspects. But that's been a few years.

Has anyone had experience with both DirecTV's Genie and Dish's Hopper?

Comment

I like dish over direct. I only have the 120 package so that may be the problem. I can go the plus route I think and get fox sports. I don't have cox as an option. The hopper is much netter than the genie. Plus primetime anytime on dish is the greatest thing.

Comment

I had dish in Chicago. No weather problems for me. Just moved back to Wichita and I now have cox. I am counting down the 2 years I have to switch back to dish. However, I love being able to watch Shox on cox, but that's the only perk. I hate how hbo is in 4 different places, espn in 2 different places etc. on dish all the movie channels are in the same area, all the sports channels in the same spot. Also, in Chicago they played the mvc network when Loyola joined.
                              I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                              If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X