Shockers in Houston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers in Houston?

Anyone here living in the Houston area? I just moved down, living in the clear lake area. Any bar/restaurant/things to do in general recommendations?
    That rug really tied the room together.

Calling @Dan: and @TxShox:!

Comment

I've been down here about 18 years - I live on the west side near I-10/West Belt. I rarely go to Clear Lake. As for things to do, depending on your age, most of the action is inner loop. There's a lot of bars and restaurants along Washington, a lot of stuff downtown, midtown, Heights, Montrose area, etc.

Give more info about yourself and what you like to do and I'll tell you what you might like.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I've been down here about 18 years - I live on the west side near I-10/West Belt. I rarely go to Clear Lake. As for things to do, depending on your age, most of the action is inner loop. There's a lot of bars and restaurants along Washington, a lot of stuff downtown, midtown, Heights, Montrose area, etc.

Give more info about yourself and what you like to do and I'll tell you what you might like.
        Thanks Dan. I've looked through the interwebs, and of course it's full of suggestions. Personally, I'm low key and like good beer.

On a side note, I will say that driving through downtown on 45 while pulling a u-haul was truly a white knuckle near death experience.

Comment

Originally posted by rZ View Post
          Thanks Dan. I've looked through the interwebs, and of course it's full of suggestions. Personally, I'm low key and like good beer.

On a side note, I will say that driving through downtown on 45 while pulling a u-haul was truly a white knuckle near death experience.
          LOL, I can imagine. I don't get out as much as I used to, but there's a handful of local breweries that have popped up lately. You should take the St. Arnold's tour sometime. @TxShox: is the big beer guy, he may have some other suggestions. As for some of my favorite local flair: hamburgers at Lankford Grocery, Christians Tailgate(Christians in midtown and heights are also good places to watch games), pizza at Kinneally's Irish Pub, Red Lion and Queen Vic for authentic british pubs with good food, Leon's Lounge is a good low key bar downtown with daily bar food specials, Onion Creek and Cedar Creek are owned by the same group and both low key places with a local flavor and good food, BBQ - Luling City Market & Gatlins are my favorites. There are so many good places to go for food and drink, probably the best thing about living here. If you have questions about anything else or specific place, just let me know.

Comment

Welcome to Houston @rZ: -- I've been here almost as long as Dan, about 17 years, and currently live up north in the Spring/Woodlands area, but I work near downtown.

Since you're down in the Clear Lake area, you need to go to Nobi Public House for great beer. I've never been personally, but everyone I talk to says to go there.

Places to go for good beer are:

There are several places in the Montrose and Heights area that do growler fills as well, so you can get a nice jug of beer to take home for the weekend. Those include Hay Merchant, Growlers Beer & Wine, Premium Draught, and D&T Drive Inn

If you make it up to my neck of the woods (Woodlands/Spring), there is a bar called Hop Scholar that has a great tap list. No food is served, though you can bring in food.

There's also a new brewery in the Kemah/Clear Lake area called Texas Beer Refinery. They have an IPA called Mexican IPA which is brewed with key limes. Really great summer beer.

For great BBQ, head over to Killen's in Pearland, but expect to wait in a long line. It's quite popular.

If you're looking for good places to buy beer, the bigger HEB's are good as are some of the larger Spec's. The places I go to the most are Spec's downtown (best prices and real nice selection), Growler's Beer & Wine (smaller but good selection), D & Q Mini-Mart (a little pricey, but great selection).

If you need more suggestions, or want to meet up to watch a game, let @Dan: and I know.

Comment

Originally posted by rZ View Post
              Within no time, you'll be able to navigate that stretch of roadway without fear, except for when it's a torrential downpour. I still white knuckle those drives.

Comment

I agree, TxShox. Killen's is da' bomb. Be prepared to wait in line.

His barbecue has gained a national following. My boss came down from DC a couple of months ago and wanted to go there. Our office is in Klein. Too far to drive (70 miles round trip).

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hubcap Grill and Gatlings. For tex-mex go to El Real (most of these are in the heights or Montrose areas).

There is a BJ's close to you. They brew the beer at the 1960 location, IIRC and truck it down there. They used to have a small brewery under a prior owner, their microbrewery was not designed well, it was hard to maintain quality, so I think BJ's took it out after they obtained the property. It's on Bay Area Boulevard in Clear Lake.

Since you like craft beer, check out the Bay Area Mashtronauts home brew club. They have some chemical engineers in that club, who have very professional brewing rigs. Most Chem E's I have ever knew brewed great beer. Of course, it's easy to do when you can design and build a totally automated rig.

There's a BUNCH of seafood restaurants in Seabrook, close to your house. The ones that look like dives are the best. The are a couple of them just off 146, I don't remember their names.

Comment

Oh, I forgot whole paycheck foods. If there's a new/remodeled one close by, the **probably** have a bar with beer and wine. They just built a new one in Klein with an in-house microbrewery. Good place to people watch and a cheap HH.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hubcap Grill and Gatlings. For tex-mex go to El Real (most of these are in the heights or Montrose areas).
                    Hupcap Grill is great. Never been to Gatlings. I was concentraiting on beer first... I'll put together a list of places for food later.

Comment

Dan, TxShox, and shocka khan,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've only been here a little more than a week, but it's been fun exploring the area. Also, if you guys do occasionally get together to watch a game, let me know, I'd love to join.

Comment

Do a tour of Yellow Rose Distillery on a Saturday and then head over to Karbach Brewery down the road. Yellow Rose has a full bar in the front and will let you drink before and after the tour. Karbach has events on the weekends, usually a band, food trucks, etc. out on the back patio. You can take a tour of the brewery as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X