Sold-Out NFL Games in London Boost Hopes for British Franchise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold-Out NFL Games in London Boost Hopes for British Franchise

There is just NO WAY that a franchise could work in the UK, IMO. The travel and scheduling would be a nightmare.

If they want an "international" team, move a team to Canada.

If I ran the NFL, I would move:
    - Jags to Toronto
    - Rams back to LA
    - Raiders to a new stadium
    The Assman

Comment

If there was some sort of shortened travel time like a super train that ran under the ocean, or a super jet that could fly across in a few hours, I see it being feasible. But I'd imagine the UK team would have to split their schedule up into halves or quarters and spend extended time in the US away from home. Four away games, four home games, or eight home, then eight away. Also, how do you make it appealing to the NFLPA that members would being playing and residing in the UK for extended times, if not permanently for their contract? Tax rates aren't that reasonable over there.

That's not even talking about travel issues for the away team. Scheduling would be worked out but difficult. Wouldn't want the team traveling to the UK coming off Monday Night game, or having a following Thursday night game. Imagine any team on the west coast making the trip. That's a hell of a flight.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Why is it that the only people who don't see this as a completely stupid idea are the people who are in charge?
        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          Why is it that the only people who don't see this as a completely stupid idea are the people who are in charge?
          From a business stand point it makes total sense. A basically untapped, foreign market, with similar cultural connections but no actual connection to the entertainment you provide... makes total sense from a money stand point. From a football and travel standpoint, to me it's a head scratcher.

Got to look for new streams of revenue to support Goodell's roughly $40,000,000/year salary.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
            From a business stand point it makes total sense. A basically untapped, foreign market, with similar cultural connections but no actual connection to the entertainment you provide... makes total sense from a money stand point. From a football and travel standpoint, to me it's a head scratcher.

Got to look for new streams of revenue to support Goodell's roughly $40,000,000/year salary.
            I understand this point. That's why they could/should explore Canada (or perhaps Mexico). Great markets they could explore there.
            The Assman

Comment

But I'd imagine the UK team would have to split their schedule up into halves or quarters and spend extended time in the US away from home. Four away games, four home games, or eight home, then eight away.
              Something similar to this is the plan, actually.

Comment

If it made sense, they would have promoted NFL Europe to a full fledged NFL division years ago...
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  Something similar to this is the plan, actually.
                  Kind of like the Kansas City - Omaha Kings of the NBA. Brilliant!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                    I understand this point. That's why they could/should explore Canada (or perhaps Mexico). Great markets they could explore there.
                    Maybe they can just combine the CFL and NFL and phase in some of the Canadian rules. And while they're at it, they might as well merge the Australian football league and use some of their rules.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                      The feds probably nix that for fear players would smuggle pot from Mexico and prescription drugs from Canada... :-)

Comment

I'm not sure a-boot the whole Canada to the NFL thing. Have you seen the attendance and facilities of the CFL? It is arguably similar to NCAA FCS, and an intergalactic wormhole ride away from the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                          If it made sense, they would have promoted NFL Europe to a full fledged NFL division years ago...
                          We have more similar cultural connections to the UK over any of the other European countries. The UK makes sense to me, the rest of Europe, no way.

Comment

Beer, football, beautiful women...

Seems like it could work in Germany also.

Comment

The flight is not bad, especially for a travelled NFL a player.
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X