Polar vortex to bring frigid temperatures across US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
    That is usually the case. As one might expect it is weaker in the summer and stronger in the winter when there is greater temperature variation between the pole and the equator. Volcanic activity in the tropics often result in a stronger polar vortex for up to two years. The interesting thing is that a polar vortex event like we are about to experience is actually the result of the weakening of the vortex. A strong polar vortex keeps the arctic air contained in a fairly constrained area near the pole. However, the weakening of the vortex causes it be "wobbly" or "wavy" which allows the arctic air to come much farther south than usual. Both the south and north poles have polar vortices.
    Is that similar to what Doctor Who said?

Comment

we need to fix our terminolgy - this is a "bomb cyclone":o

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        we need to fix our terminolgy - this is a "bomb cyclone":o
        Ughh haha
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Not much snow in SF today, but you'll definitely want to dress warm for the trip up here next week.

Comment

Originally posted by sdshox View Post
            Not much snow in SF today, but you'll definitely want to dress warm for the trip up here next week.
            How are the pheasants?
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I just looked up the pheasant forecast. It seems that the harvest this year is expected to be up from last year's weak harvest. That said, they are expecting more than 1.25 and up to 1.5 million, possibly more birds to be harvested this year. With snow cover, Shocker fans are foolish not to take a couple of extra days off and enjoy some pheasant hunting before or after the game.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I've got a mid December trip planned. We are hunting near Burke, South Dakota. My first time there. Usually, we are west of Chamberlain. The polar vortex is at full force by December in South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  The polar vortex is at full force by December in South Dakota.
                  come on ...."Bomb Cyclone"

Comment

The bomb cyclone has dropped a half inch of snow in my front yard. And it's cold as funk here.

Comment

Gonna get nasty tonight.

WeatherBug.jpg

Comment

A bomb cyclone is a cyclone that has dropped more than 24mb in 24 hours. Not what we have here.

People are wanting to blame the the abnormally strong Aleutian Low as a result of the super typhoon for the polar vortex (which their may indeed be a relation) but mistakenly calling the polar vortex - which is really associated with an abnormally strong arctic high - a bomb cyclone.

You probably know all this and are being tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic about it and if so, I apologize.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                          A bomb cyclone is a cyclone that has dropped more than 24mb in 24 hours. Not what we have here.

People are wanting to blame the the abnormally strong Aleutian Low as a result of the super typhoon for the polar vortex (which their may indeed be a relation) but mistakenly calling the polar vortex - which is really associated with an abnormally strong arctic high - a bomb cyclone.

You probably know all this and are being tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic about it and if so, I apologize.
                          good explanation, very informative - but yes I was being sarcastic and making fun of the media. To me it just a "cold spell". You got to have them if you want "warm spells" - unless you live in Seahaven

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            How are the pheasants?
                            Let's put it this way... if you can't limit, especially now that there's snow cover, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sdshox View Post
                              Let's put it this way... if you can't limit, especially now that there's snow cover, you're doing it wrong.
                              AWESOME!!!

And for those people in Wichita that think I exaggerate the pheasant hunting up there, you limit out and you can't even legally start hunting until noon!

God I love South Dakota pheasant hunting!

Comment

Freezing on East Coast? Blame a Super Typhoon and Maybe Global Warming

So if most of the globe is warming, what gives with the recent cold blasts in areas east of the Rockies?

Last winter's Arctic blast led scientists to theorize that warmer Pacific waters or melting summer Arctic sea ice or just random weather could be factors.

The cold front this month, however, appears to have a different birth.

The events "started with exceptionally warm sea temperatures in the Pacific that led to the super Typhoon Nuri," says Kevin Trenberth, an atmospheric scientist at NCAR. On Nov. 8, the typhoon became "incredibly intense … advanced to the north and brought very warm air up into Alaska and into the Arctic."

"The cold air had to go somewhere else and it did: down across the U.S.," says Trenberth. "By Nov. 12 the very cold air over North America was matched by very warm air over Alaska and the Arctic."

Comment

Working...
                                X