Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSU Captain Riley Leroy Pitts Military and Veteran Center Dedication; Nov. 7, 1 pm,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Captain Riley Leroy Pitts Military and Veteran Center Dedication; Nov. 7, 1 pm,

Please make the time to attend this event and honor this national hero and WU alumni. Nov. 7, 1 pm in RSC 305

Rest In Peace Sir.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

CPT Pitt's CMH Citation

U.S. Army Captain Riley Leroy Pitts was posthumously presented the Medal of Honor for military valor during the Vietnam War.

Mrs. Eula Pitts with children Stacie and Mark receiving his Congressional Medal of Honor. The first African-American Officer to receive the award.

His Wikipedia Entry

Last edited by DUShock; November 3, 2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

First African American commissioned officer to receive the Medal of Honor. A real hero, what a man.

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Capt. Pitts was extremely involved on campus and was a member of around 10 campus activities. I want to say that he was either the Sports Editor or the Editor of the Sunflower during his time there if my memory serves me correctly. I'll try and do some more research tonight.

edit: Yep, he majored in Journalism at Wichita. His legacy lives on in different fashions, these seem to be great honors. "There are several naming dedications in honor of Pitts, including a classroom at his alma mater, Douglass High School, a firing range at the U.S. Army base in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and the main street at the U.S. Army base in Mannheim, Germany."

double edit: I see @60Shock: made a post about this around a year ago http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...-Real-WSU-Hero It's a really good read.

@60Shock:, when Dr. Bardo first came to campus and asked for suggestions on improvements to campus at one of the brainstorming meetings, I wrote him a letter suggesting that the university take an approach at catering to veterans. My rationale behind it was that the proximity to the VA Hospital could attract new students who were also veterans that had to possibly travel large distances for care. He responded with (a summary of his response) that it was a good idea and that they'd keep it in mind. Seeing that they have this newly created Veteran Center it just makes me so happy. Just wonderful.

Comment

I have all these pictures on my hard drive from Parnassus from when Capt. Pitts attended WU. Here is a link to the album to share http://imgur.com/a/wkDtR

@60Shock do you happen to be in any of these? They are mostly from the '59 and '60 Parnassus'.

Comment

Where are the details of the event

Comment

Certainly a distinguished Shocker alumnus.
              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Bump

Comment

It is really sad this hero was all but forgotten by our University until now. I know his story was news to me when someone posted a thread about him some months ago, and that shouldn't be. Every student, alum, and faculty member should be patently aware of this man's service and sacrifice, as well as his connection to WSU. Glad he is finally getting his due, but even at that I wish it were a bigger deal.

Comment

BUMP

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                      Capt. Pitts was extremely involved on campus and was a member of around 10 campus activities. I want to say that he was either the Sports Editor or the Editor of the Sunflower during his time there if my memory serves me correctly. I'll try and do some more research tonight.

edit: Yep, he majored in Journalism at Wichita. His legacy lives on in different fashions, these seem to be great honors. "There are several naming dedications in honor of Pitts, including a classroom at his alma mater, Douglass High School, a firing range at the U.S. Army base in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and the main street at the U.S. Army base in Mannheim, Germany."

double edit: I see @60Shock: made a post about this around a year ago http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...-Real-WSU-Hero It's a really good read.

@60Shock:, when Dr. Bardo first came to campus and asked for suggestions on improvements to campus at one of the brainstorming meetings, I wrote him a letter suggesting that the university take an approach at catering to veterans. My rationale behind it was that the proximity to the VA Hospital could attract new students who were also veterans that had to possibly travel large distances for care. He responded with (a summary of his response) that it was a good idea and that they'd keep it in mind. Seeing that they have this newly created Veteran Center it just makes me so happy. Just wonderful.
                      Kai, really appreciate all of your efforts in assisting today's returning veterans. It is very likely that some of these young men/women have served one or more combat tours in the Mid-East and successfully adapting back to civilian life can require many adjustments over a period of time.

Unfortunately, it was an entirely different climate concerning our military returning service members and their families, in America in the late 1960's til the end of the Vietnam war. Undoubtedly the worst climate for military returnees in the entire history of the United States.

Both Vice President Ayers and President Bardo, and their staffs, deserve all the credit for this most significant honor and lasting memorial, honoring Captain Leroy Pitts for his total sacrifice to his country and for his terrific bravery in protecting the lives of the soldiers under his command.

Shortly after I had notified Vice President Ayers, in July 2013, of this apparent over site, I received a letter back stating that he had discussed this with President Bardo. That they both agreed that not only would Leroy would be honored, but that there would also be, in the near future, something permanent (nothing definite then) established in place on the Wichita State University campus honoring him for his remarkable bravery.

I received an invitation to attend the ceremony a couple of weeks ago, but regrettably had to decline. As it unfortunately turned out, my wife and I had made plans to fly out and visit our son and family in Tulsa, other relatives in Bartlesville, and SE Kansas, starting on November 14, a week after the ceremony. Tried, but we couldn’t change them because of various commitments.

To answer your question, no, I am not in any of the pictures.

Comment

Had a great time today at the event. Kudos to @DUShock:

Comment

Working...
                        X