Wichita State posts biggest enrollment gain since 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    A co-worker of mine who is a KU alum told me they are trying to make their admissions standards higher, knowing they will lose in-state students and likely lower their overall numbers.

I don't think KU is going to spend any additional marketing dollars on students they would rather not see go to KU.
    But those standards don't kick in until 2016, so that doesn't explain why their increased enrollment is weak compared with WSU right now. I realize that isn't your point at all Royal, I am just responding to your beaker buddy.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      A co-worker of mine who is a KU alum told me they are trying to make their admissions standards higher, knowing they will lose in-state students and likely lower their overall numbers.

I don't think KU is going to spend any additional marketing dollars on students they would rather not see go to KU.
      Good. That is a very, very expensive and risky move in the current higher ed climate. Midwestern state schools who try to spend their way up to a Big Ten-esque academic reputation usually (read: always) fail. Nobody will ever confuse KU with Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio State or Iowa on the prestige-whore-o-meter.

We stand a lot to gain in that scenario.

Comment

It appears that the Innovations Campus approach is attracting a lot of interest and curiosity in the state. Once it begins to move from concept to bricks-and-mortar, tangible reality we likely will see even better enrollment results. This will begin in earnest next year with construction starting on as many as 3 to 4 buildings. The admissions staff have recently done college fairs in Kansas City and Chicago and they're seeing a lot of love for WSU.
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          But those standards don't kick in until 2016, so that doesn't explain why their increased enrollment is weak compared with WSU right now. I realize that isn't your point at all Royal, I am just responding to your beaker buddy.
          I think it's because people are realizing they no longer are the flagship basketball program in the state.

:poster_wu:
          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
            Good. That is a very, very expensive and risky move in the current higher ed climate. Midwestern state schools who try to spend their way up to a Big Ten-esque academic reputation usually (read: always) fail. Nobody will ever confuse KU with Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio State or Iowa on the prestige-whore-o-meter.

We stand a lot to gain in that scenario.
            I've always thought raising tuition costs and spending more to attract "elite" students from out of state is a stupid idea. Moreover, I've always questioned how that strategy fits with a state public school's goals and original role of educating the citizenry of the state.

In the end, if the goal of Kansas University is not to educate people from Kansas, but to focus on drawing students from other states, why not just shut down?
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              I've always thought raising tuition costs and spending more to attract "elite" students from out of state is a stupid idea. Moreover, I've always questioned how that strategy fits with a state public school's goals and original role of educating the citizenry of the state.

In the end, if the goal of Kansas University is not to educate people from Kansas, but to focus on drawing students from other states, why not just shut down?
              I generally agree with the above, BUT, one could attract out of state students to be educated to work in strong local industries. This would increase the local talent pool in strategic careers...not that KU is trying to accomplish this.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
              X