Running my first half-marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running my first half-marathon

Later this month I'm running my first half-marathon in Hutch. Any tips from those who have done it?

I've read some things online of people eating gels and drinking water on the course, etc. I've never done either while running. When I leave the house to run, there's no food or water until I get back. I did 15 miles yesterday morning like that. What intervals are good for grabbing a drink or eating a gel? Do you take gels with you or do they hand them out on the course?

I haven't run anything longer than a 5k since I did a 10k over 25 years ago, so I'm very much a newbie when it comes to the longer distances.

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    Later this month I'm running my first half-marathon in Hutch. Any tips from those who have done it?

I've read some things online of people eating gels and drinking water on the course, etc. I've never done either while running. When I leave the house to run, there's no food or water until I get back. I did 15 miles yesterday morning like that. What intervals are good for grabbing a drink or eating a gel? Do you take gels with you or do they hand them out on the course?

I haven't run anything longer than a 5k since I did a 10k over 25 years ago, so I'm very much a newbie when it comes to the longer distances.
    the distance is arbitrary. Keeping moving forward. Relentless, Forward, Progress...
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I did 15 miles yesterday morning like that.
        You've already done 15?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          You've already done 15?
          Yes, but it was probably a mistake. My legs are still fatigued today. I should have stopped at 13 or 14. It was that last mile that did me in.

Comment

Yes, but it was probably a mistake. My legs are still fatigued today. I should have stopped at 13 or 14. It was that last mile that did me in.
            Yes, 15 was the magic turning point where my legs turn rubbery when training for a full. LMAO.

If you have already done 15 and are training for a half -- you are way over training IMHO. Your longest runs should probably be 10 miles. And you should definitely taper for two weeks before your run.

Did you drink water during your 15? I don't take water with me on my training runs for a half. I don't feel like I need water unless I am running 14 or more.

And I don't like the taste of gels at all so I avoid them. I don't eat anything during a half. I just eat a lot of spaghetti a couple nights before (and usually the night before again). I eat fruit chews during a full marathon.

Comment

I do usually drink one glass of water at night before bed before a longer run (I consider 10+ miles a long run), and then one more glass when I wake up.

Comment

I don't get it. If the cops aren't chasing you, why are you running? Something isn't right.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  I don't get it. If the cops aren't chasing you, why are you running? Something isn't right.
                  see you get caught, we runners do not. :-)
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

During the race, there should be water or sports drink every 2-3 miles. Usually gels are not available. I personally do not use gels for half marathons. I save them for marathons. If you do want to try gels, try them during a training run. Don't try anything new on race day. And gels should be taken with water or other liquid.
                    Good luck with the run!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDave View Post
                      During the race, there should be water or sports drink every 2-3 miles. Usually gels are not available. I personally do not use gels for half marathons. I save them for marathons. If you do want to try gels, try them during a training run. Don't try anything new on race day. And gels should be taken with water or other liquid.
                      Good luck with the run!

I second all of that. I would avoid gels for a half.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys. I bought a pack of Gatorade gels but I think I'll avoid them and just eat a protein bar about an hour before the race.

I did a little research today and realized I shouldn't have gone that far. That's what I get for doing my own thing instead of following a training guide. I have almost three weeks until the event so I'll probably keep my longer runs between 6 and 8 miles and like you said, taper off.

I know I'm not supposed to care about my time, but I'm too competitive with myself not to. Do you generally find you go a little faster during the event than when training? My 13.1 time yesterday was just under 2:17. Should I take these next couple of weeks to try and cut 30 seconds off my mile-split? I'd love to get under 2:10, then shoot for under 2 hours next year.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys. I bought a pack of Gatorade gels but I think I'll avoid them and just eat a protein bar about an hour before the race.

I did a little research today and realized I shouldn't have gone that far. That's what I get for doing my own thing instead of following a training guide. I have almost three weeks until the event so I'll probably keep my longer runs between 6 and 8 miles and like you said, taper off.

I know I'm not supposed to care about my time, but I'm too competitive with myself not to. Do you generally find you go a little faster during the event than when training? My 13.1 time yesterday was just under 2:17. Should I take these next couple of weeks to try and cut 30 seconds off my mile-split? I'd love to get under 2:10, then shoot for under 2 hours next year.
                          Push as hard as you want for the next week, but only go up to 10 miles once until you are two weeks out. Since you did 15 the day before I would do a fast paced 5 today to get your legs loose and then the fastest 8 you can do when you are exactly two weeks out (should be about 3/4 days from your 5). Then don't do squat. I mean nothing. Mentally this will be very tough. You will want to go run badly and be concerned that you are losing ground when exactly the opposite is happening. But since you did overtrain tapering is especially important for you.

If you MUST go run during your taper then no more than 4 miles. I'm serious.

You will be shocked at how much a taper will improve your time during the actual event. And yes you will go faster during the race. In part due to taper (you will feel awesome the morning of the race) and in part due to adrenaline and what I call "chasing the crowd" mentality instead of "chasing the pace".

Comment

Agree with Kung Wu. The hay is in the barn. Enjoy the taper and enjoy the race.

Comment

Great advice!

Running 5Ks in high school cross country is such a different animal, since you just go hard and don't really change your training leading up to the race, except to take it easy the day before. Of course, our bodies were much different back then!

Comment

Working...
                              X