Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to Emporia

Really?

Somebody is pissed off at city gov't. Fairly ingenious if you ask me. Perhaps someone who was annexed for no other reason than a real estate tax base grab, and he's just letting everyone know about the location of the newly-laid city limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
      Somebody is pissed off at city gov't. Fairly ingenious if you ask me. Perhaps someone who was annexed for no other reason than a real estate tax base grab, and he's just letting everyone know about the location of the newly-laid city limits.
      Or someone who has been sponging services and now must pay for those services.
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
        Or someone who has been sponging services and now must pay for those services.
        Like what? What changes exactly from a services perspective when a given parcel is moved from county to city?

Most rural/suburban homes are either on rural water or a supply well, have a septic system, and have a stormwater system that is comprised of the ditch out in the public street right-of-way. Electrical and gas/propane services have nothing to do with the municipality. Street maintenance is handled by the township. Emergency services are all handled by the county, generally.

Outside of some almost immeasurable law enforcement coverage gain, I don't see what these little parasitic towns are offering in exchange for the additional tax levy. In fact I see nothing outside of such.

I'm really curious to hear your response - I know you are a keen poster and must have something in response.

*My disclaimer here is that I am definitely a urban dweller living well within the limits of Wichita, but believe that changes need to be made to rein in ridiculous annexation practices of periphery municipalities (go look at the city boundaries of Park City, Kechi, or Bel Aire).
        Last edited by SHOCKvalue; July 23, 2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I understand your concerns. As far as the towns around Wichita some of it was done to keep the city of Wichita from annexing the parcels and reaping the benefit. I believe having the additional parcels benefits the school districts/towns as far as room for growth. Don't have any idea about Emporia unless they are concerned about expansion in Topeka :)

Comment

Wichita is not an aggressive annex-er. Never really has been. Look at a city limit map of Wichita. Very little of the weird tentacles or blocks of undeveloped land that you see with certain suburbs.

School districts, their boundaries and mill levies, have little to nothing to do with the expansion of city limits.

Municipalities would do well to only annex developing platted areas that are contiguous to their current boundaries. Annexing 5 square miles of nothing but wheat fields and rural residential homes, or an 8 mile by 1/2 mile long strip of land that just so happens to include an interstate, are incredible abuses of the powers of annexation. Thankfully, if a person does some due diligence into the issue it is not especially difficult after the fact to prove that a parcel receives no services from the municipality, and get the land/tax grab reversed.

Comment

When I look at that picture, I just don't see anything unusual regarding my mental image of Emporia. What am I overlooking?

Ohhh, maybe it's because they spelled "Welcome" correctly?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

That is exceptionable.
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  When I look at that picture, I just don't see anything unusual regarding my mental image of Emporia. What am I overlooking?

Ohhh, maybe it's because they spelled "Welcome" correctly?
                  How do they usually spell "Welcome"? This is on the assumption that you weren't really asking a question even though you ended the sentence with a question mark.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

This post really isn't directly related to Emporia, but had to share this factoid somewhere. Just think about all the added protein in our diet. yum-yum

@VerusFacts: You will eat 24 ounces of insect parts in your food every year. That's 117 pounds in a lifetime.
                      Last edited by Shocker-maniac; August 3, 2014, 07:02 AM.
                      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I don't know how I missed this thread. These people are related to dofo. All last winter they had a caribou mount and a goat mount wired to their reefer wash sign. Then they do this, line up round bales and spray paint chicken ranch on them, and line up more porta poopers and put "my domain" on them. On the back of the welcome poopers, they have help the orielly factor. They can be found fishing for goldfish in their pond on most days. Ironically, it is just west of the turnpike.

Edit: they are also beaker fans.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                        Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Working...
                        X