I'm tired of....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tired of....

I'm tired of the N-Word thrown around like its a brotherhood of hip. As a white dude, I find it disgraceful, ugly, and downright disgusting. The use of the word, whether it ends in "r" or the supposed more affable "a" should be taught by all races that it is negative and offensive to everyone.
    Stop condoning the use, making feeble excuses, and embracing it as hip hop cred and put an end to it.
    It's awful.
    What say you Shocker Brethren? Is it simply ok to use it? Only if you're black? Why a double standard ? A term of endearment? I think back to all the blacks that were killed or were disgraced by its use.
    I find it offensive to even hear it being used. Today in Vegas, I heard a little kid about 8 call his little brother the "N...a" word. I told their mother she should be ashamed. These weren't teenagers or young adults, but little kids! I couldn't believe it .
    Was I over the line?

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    I'm tired of the N-Word thrown around like its a brotherhood of hip. As a white dude, I find it disgraceful, ugly, and downright disgusting. The use of the word, whether it ends in "r" or the supposed more affable "a" should be taught by all races that it is negative and offensive to everyone.
    Stop condoning the use, making feeble excuses, and embracing it as hip hop cred and put an end to it.
    It's awful.
    What say you Shocker Brethren? Is it simply ok to use it? Only if you're black? Why a double standard ? A term of endearment? I think back to all the blacks that were killed or were disgraced by its use.
    I find it offensive to even hear it being used. Today in Vegas, I heard a little kid about 8 call his little brother the "N...a" word. I told their mother she should be ashamed. These weren't teenagers or young adults, but little kids! I couldn't believe it .
    Was I over the line?
    You weren't over the line. People use certain words because that's the way the were brought up or because of the people they were around. People on here do the same thing except they use the S-word or the F-word or some other word that they wouldn't use if they were talking to their preacher, pastor, rabbi, etc.

Comment

No
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Some Republican legislator should propose a new music rating that must be included on all CDs or music downloads that indicates if the album/song contains the use of racist words. Think about the chaos that would cause for a second.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Some Republican legislator should propose a new music rating that must be included on all CDs or music downloads that indicates if the album/song contains the use of racist words. Think about the chaos that would cause for a second.
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

We'll I was told to mind my MF'n business.
            I told her "it takes a village."

I should mind my own biz though. Last week a 20 something white guy and black guy were wearing pants half way down their backside. I was standing behind them at the checkout line. When they turned around, I said "nice underwear man. Next time wash them a little better. Keeps the flies away." (With a smile of course).
            Somedays, this New Gen stuff just gets under my skin. Luckily, I haven't been sucker punched---- yet.

Comment

I kind of like to keep my nose out of other people's business. Telling a stranger (face-toface) how to raise their children is unlikely to have positive results.

This is a word that has completely differenct meanings based on the race of the person using the word. The word was used by white people for a few centuries as a way of dehumanizing black people. It implied ownership, pretty much the same way the word mule can imply ownership. For example: "That's a great mule, you got there, Joe. I sure wish I had a mule that good. How much would you charge for me to breed one of my mules to your mule?"

White people using the word that way for centuries pretty much doomed the ability of white people to ever use the word without invoking connotations of slavery, ownership of other humans, and lumping black people in with farm animals, as opposed to grouping them with other humans.

When white people use the word, it has implications of owning black people. When black people use the word, it has implications of owning the word. There is a double standard and the unique history of that word probably provides a very good reason for the double standard to exist.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                I kind of like to keep my nose out of other people's business. Telling a stranger (face-toface) how to raise their children is unlikely to have positive results.

This is a word that has completely differenct meanings based on the race of the person using the word. The word was used by white people for a few centuries as a way of dehumanizing black people. It implied ownership, pretty much the same way the word mule can imply ownership. For example: "That's a great mule, you got there, Joe. I sure wish I had a mule that good. How much would you charge for me to breed one of my mules to your mule?"

White people using the word that way for centuries pretty much doomed the ability of white people to ever use the word without invoking connotations of slavery, ownership of other humans, and lumping black people in with farm animals, as opposed to grouping them with other humans.

When white people use the word, it has implications of owning black people. When black people use the word, it has implications of owning the word. There is a double standard and the unique history of that word probably provides a very good reason for the double standard to exist.
                I agree, however, I wasn't the one using the word, yet I get to listen to it. "Owning" the word and throwing it the face of any and all benefits none, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  I agree, however, I wasn't the one using the word, yet I get to listen to it. "Owning" the word and throwing it the face of any and all benefits none, IMO.
                  ???
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Yet I've heard blacks call whites the N...a word as a sign or endearment or greeting. How do you interpret that usage? Would it be ok for that greeting to be reciprocated from that same white guy to the same black guy?

How much mixed blood does it take to get one in the club of owning the word instead of the word owning them ?

Comment

Life's way too short, sometimes you just have to laugh a little...

Warning - Use of "N-Word"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

About got in a barfight with someone who insisted on supporting a person calling my black friend the N-Word at a bar. I told her it wasn't cool and that she needed to stop. Then a dude behind me kept yelling at me that she can say what she want and I told him to stay in his own business. Things cooled down pretty quickly though.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                        X